Temporary

Cry Baby

Kris went back to bed after managing to slip away from Umma’s suffocating hold, slipping back into bed with Tao and settling in close to the other. He didn’t know how to handle so much affection and honesty, and the day had pushed his ability to cope pretty far. If he had the choice, he would send Tao into Lay’s room or something to sleep, but he wasn’t an , so he just closed his eyes and settled in instead.

 

 


 

 

“Kris?” Lay whispered from the doorway. Kris was sitting, unmoving, his eyes wide and his chest heaving. “Bad dream?”

 

“I don’t dream.” Kris said, shaking his head. “I think Tao’s dead.”

 

“Dead?” Lay moved into the room, going over to the bed and laughing when he saw Tao’s chest moving. “He doesn’t like waking up.”

 

“Then why isn’t he ever late for school?” Kris asked. “Actually, he’s pretty early most days.”

 

“He’s very disciplined. But on days he doesn’t need to wake up, why would he?” Lay explained, petting Tao’s hair and laughing softly. “I’ll show you how to wake him up.”

 

“Alright..” Kris said, still half tucked into the blanket and pressed awkwardly close to the sleeping boy. His bed wasn’t exactly big enough for them both, though, so he was going to let it go this time.

 

Lay started lightly tickling Tao’s side, watching as he started squirming and eventually rolled over, clinging to Kris. Lay snorted a little as Kris leaned as far back as he could, trying to put space between them. Lay started rubbing Tao’s back gently, sliding his fingers along Tao’s spine, and Tao slowly started opening his eyes.

 

“See? He’s not dead.” Lay said in a comforting tone. Kris sighed, fluffing up Tao’s hair.

 

“Let’s get breakfast, Tao.” Kris said softly, but Tao whined and kept on cuddling.

 

“We’ll start making breakfast. Come out soon.” Lay said, smiling and getting up. Kris watched as Lay closed the door behind him and then turned his focus back to Tao, who was now on top of him and trying to go back to sleep. Kris sat up straighter.

 

“Come on, it’s time to eat Tao.” Kris said softly, not used to having someone so close to him. “We need to get up.”

 

“Five more minutes.” Tao whispered, pouting just a little bit, and Kris chewed his lip, wanting to push him off.

 

“Alright. Just five minutes.” Kris whispered, not sure why he was allowing it.

 

Five minutes passed with Tao snuggled into Kris’ chest, and Kris’ heart beating so wildly he was surprised it hadn’t jumped out of his chest. Then Kris set about waking him up again.

 

“No..” Tao whined. “Five more minutes.”

 

“You already had five more minutes.” Kris pointed out.

 

“Then I want ten.” Tao decided, stubbornly keeping his eyes closed. Kris rolled his eyes.

 

“Come on, either you get up, or I’m carrying you out.” Kris said. Tao ‘humphed’ and didn’t move. Kris laughed a little bit before covering his mouth, trying to make sure Tao hadn’t noticed. The other didn’t react at all, so he sighed in relief and then got out of bed. “I’m going without you, then.”

 

Kris pulled a sweatshirt out of his closet and pulled it over his head, stepping into the hall and nearly running Lay over. He sighed, closing his eyes and reminding himself not to snap, and Lay grabbed his arm, tugging him away from the kitchen before Kris had the mind to stop him.

 

“What are you doing?” Kris asked once Lay had shoved him into his room and closed the door. Lay put his hands on his hips.

 

“I was about to ask you the same thing.” Lay said, looking annoyed. “Don’t play games with Tao. He’s a good kid. He deserves better than that.”

 

“I’m not playing-” Kris started, and Lay held up his hands.

 

“Maybe you’re not, but the way it looks to everyone else is different. You say you have no interest in being so much as his friend and then you let him sleep in your room, but then you run away to Umma.” Lay said, looking at Kris pointedly. “Then you run away from her and go cuddle with Tao again. You need to make up your mind and stick to it.”

 

“Where is all this coming from? Am I not allowed to have friends suddenly?” Kris asked, a hint of emotion threatening his face, and Lay sighed.

 

“You are, Kris.” He said, then leaned on his door. “But you can’t behave like you’re going to leave at any second, then make someone attached to you.”

 

“I can leave at any second!” Kris snapped, anger flaring up inside of him. “I could be out of here tonight! You don’t seem to get that, but it’s something I don’t have the luxury of forgetting!”

 

Lay took a step back, his eyes widening in shock at the sudden yelling. Kris looked like he was ready to put his fist through a wall or something, and Lay was waiting for it, but Kris didn’t move. Lay sighed, crossing his arms.

 

“When are you going to start trusting that you’re not going to be thrown out at any moment?” Lay asked softly. “How long will it take for you to understand that if you would stop pushing us away, you could be happy here?”

 

“Not everyone gets a happy ending like you, Lay. Not everyone gets to stay in one place and love people and build a life.” Kris said, his voice shaking almost as badly as his hands. “I didn’t invite Tao in. You all pushed him on me until I had no choice, and now he’s the one choosing to cling to me. You don’t get to yell at me for pushing me past my comfort zone. You don’t get to yell at me and cause a scene, when I’ve done everything you wanted and tried my best to fit into whatever box you and your friends think I should fit into. And none of it mattered anyway, did it? None of it mattered, because I’m probably going to be leaving tonight.”

 

Lay opened and closed his mouth a few times, his eyes wide. “T...tonight?” Lay asked, and Kris glared harder.

 

“What do you think happens when foster kids fight? Parents don’t like when their kids are upset, no matter who’s in the wrong. All it takes is one phone call, and I’m gone like that.” Kris said, his chest heaving.

 

“Umma wouldn’t...” Lay started, and the door opened, Xiumin stepping in with wide eyes.

 

“Lay, come eat breakfast. Leave him alone.” Xiumin whispered, tugging Lay out of the room. Kris walked out a moment later, going right back to his room and seeing that Tao had vacated his bed at some point. He closed the door tightly behind him and got back into his bed, feeling the constriction in his chest and the twitches that signified he’d be best off left alone.

 

It was too much to ask for, though, and the door opened again, Lay stepping inside and making his way over to the bed. He took a seat beside Kris, who really was in no shape to talk to anyone, and sighed softly, sniffling a bit.

 

“I’m sorry.” Lay whispered. When Kris didn’t say anything, Lay continued, little sniffs and tiny sobs breaking up his words. “I’m sorry I made you feel like that. I didn’t mean to make you think you had to be like us. I really thought you and Tao would be friends when I saw how you reacted to him the first time. I thought I was helping. I was only trying to help.”

 

“I don’t need your help.” Kris said, refusing to look at Lay.

 

“I don’t want you to go away.” Lay whispered. “I don’t want you to leave.”

 

“I’ve got less than three years before I age out.” Kris said. “And when that happens, you’ll never see me again anyway.”

 

“B-but you’re my brother.” Lay said softly, and Kris finally looked at Lay, his eyes cold and hard.


“I’m a government paycheck.” Kris snapped. “Now get out.”


I'm sorry, first and foremost >< I didn't plan this, it just kind of happened.

Moving on from that, I'm thinking about doing an RP based on this fic. If anyone is interested, let me know.