I'll Tell You Everyday

Retention Loss

 

 

 

Chapter Five: I'll Tell You Everyday

 

 

If memories are what she lacks, then I'm willing to give her all of mine.

 
"Hi... Can I help you with something, Mister?"
 
Kris had nearly forgotten that she wouldn't remember him, that morning when he'd come by her address for the third time in a week. It's like that every time he visits.
 
They stood awkwardly in the doorway to her apartment, staring into each others eyes.
He willed her to remember him, but she didnt.
 
"I brought you breakfast." he smiled weakly, holding up the little McDonalds bag. "It was supposed to be a surprise."
 
The dark haired girl tilted her head to one side, the way she always does when these things happen, and gave him a confused look. "I, um, I don't--"
 
Kris cut her off, "I'm in your photo book, pages thirteen through twenty. Kris."
 
That look of confusion disappeared and instead, Ami greeted him with a smile, "Kris?"
 
He only nodded. He truly hates this feeling. The pain bubbling in his chest.
Re-introducing himself to her every time they meet, is killing him, and if he has to to tell her his name one more time, he may lose it.
 
Kris laced his fingers through hers, when she took him by the hand and pulled him through the threshold, into the foyer.
He took off his shoes, slipping on the pair of slippers they'd bought together several days ago. She wanted them to be there for when he visited.
 
She lead them through the living room into the kitchen, where she had previously been preparing tea.
He watched her trace her fingers over the stickers on each cabinet, until she found the one reading: glasses, cups.
And, Ami pulled out two matching coffee mugs.
 
Kris had become used to the shy, awkwardness that comes about each time that they're together.
After all it's to be expected, when the only thing they can rely on to remind her of him is a scrap book full of tales.
 
They sat across from each other at the dining table, with their arms stretched across the table top and their fingers intertwined.
Kris took small sips of his green tea, appreciating the taste and enjoying Ami's company.
While she sat with her camera in hand, snapping photos of him when he wasn't looking. Because she thinks the candids of him look best.
They eat breakfast in silence, aside from the moment when she asked him how he knew that egg mcmuffins were her favorite.
 
 
- - - - -
 
 
"Have you told me these things before, Kris?" Ami asked him off-handedly two days later.
 
Another morning spent with McDonalds, tea, and retellings.
Almost like an unnoted routine. Unconscious. They do it without even realizing.
 
He looked down at her with a hint of sadness in his eyes and nodded.
But, Kris didn't mind.
 
Even though his head hurts, and his heart aches, and his eyes sting from crying.
He'd re-tell it to her every time. It's worth it, he believes.
 
The frown on Ami's face pierced his heart, but the way her arms wrap around him, mended it just it just enough to keep him from bleeding out.
 
Kris wants her to remember this. To remember him.
 
"I'm sorry." Ami whispered, but he smiled.
 
Yes, she's worth it.
 
"It's ok, Ami." Kris assured, "No matter how many times I have to remind you, no matter how many times you forget me, I'll still do it."
 
He pressed a kiss to unsure lips, and smiled against them.
Because she met him back ten-fold, and her arms found his neck. She knows those lips.
 
"I'll tell you every single day, if I have to."
 
 
-----------------
I recently started a secondary blog on tumblr, where I'll be re-posting my stories and promo-ing some stories written by friends.
So, if you have a tumblr and you happen to like my stories, please stop by Fanfiction, Because I Can, and follow please?
Also, on some of my previous fics, I had people asking about sequels and requesting oneshots. That can also be done there, ask questions and submit requests. Thank you for reading, and supporting! I love you guys!
Please do comment and subscribe! ^^♥