Where Does a Thought Go When It's Forgotten?

Retention Loss

 

 
 
 
Chapter Four: Where Does A Thought Go When It's Forgotten?
 
 
 
"Have we met somewhere before?"
 
 
His heart skips a beat. She doesn't remember him.
 
"It's Kris." He hinted, smiling at her in hopes she would remember him.
 
Ami's expression doesn't change.
 
"Kris? Kris..." he watches her reach into her purse and pull out a black ,medium sized, scrap book.
 
On the cover is a simple title in white font, Don't Forget.
 
She flips through the book, glancing up at his face every few moments.
Ami becomes immersed in her scrap book and Kris can feel the disappointment rising as she flips through the pages, quietly muttering his name.
She stops on a page decorated in stickers of hearts and stars, on it are several different photos of him, as well as the two of them together.
The girl pauses, looking back and fourth from the photos to him slowly.
 
"This Kris?" she questions, looking up at him with an unsure twinkle in her eye.
 
Carefully, he takes the book from her hands and looks over the many Polaroids from their college years.
Kris smiles, "I can't believe you still have these."
 
He doesn't see the way her eyes lose their light, and her smile shrinks only the slightest.
 
"You're looking well, Ami-ah." he compliments, smirking at her, "Still short as ever."
 
Ami can only nod and quietly mutter a thank you.
She feels bad, because she wishes she could reminisce with him, but can't.
She wishes to tell him he's grown up well, and that he's gotten even more handsome than in the photos.
But, she does none of these things. Because he feels like nothing more than a stranger to her.
 
"Is something wrong?" Kris questions.
 
And, Ami sighs.
"You haven't heard?" she wonders in a quiet tone, set in a firm frown.
 
"Heard what?"
 
- - - - -
 
Over coffee, she tells him shocking news.
 
He tries not to allow the fact, that the girl of his dreams couldn't remember him, bother him.
But, he can feel the sting in his chest when she tells him of her loss of memory.
 
Ami doesn't remember him.
She can't remember all the quiet mornings reading together. She doesn't recall all the late night phone calls. She can't remember the lunch dates.
All of their time together was lost. Four years of history, gone due to brain damage.
 
It hurts so much that he can hardly bare her telling him of her life now.
She's forgetting everything. She's forgotten him.
 
"But, I have this." Ami says, pushing forward the black photo book from earlier.
 
Kris takes it into both hands and looks through each page.
 
"It's a scrap book." he comments.
 
"Right," she smiles sadly, taking the book and cradling it like treasure. "They're my memories." she tells him.
 
"I write things in here, as not to forget them. And, I read it everyday. So, I know how much I've lost..."
 
His heart shatters.
 
 
---
Triple udpate?! XD
@exostar22: Thank you for reading!