The Girl With The Pretty Smile

Retention Loss

 

 

Chapter Two: The Girl With The Pretty Smile

 

Kris loved to read. It was a frequent and favorite pass time of his.

He spent his university years tucked away in a quiet corner of the school library, with his nose in a book.
 
He reads everything. Magazines, novels, manhwa. Poetry, thrillers, romance and mystery, and everything in between.
He tucks the darkness of life away in between the pages and looses himself in the storyline, letting his imagination take him away from this pace.
 
One particularly sunny morning he's in his usual place, tucked away behind the graying pages of a romance novel.
The library is quiet that early Thursday morning before classes are to start, and he thinks he's alone.
It's not until he hears the frustrated huff of tiny girl in the corner, that he realizes he isn't.
 
She's petite and pretty, wearing a yellow plaid button down and jeans, with black hair secured up in a bun at the top of her head.
She stands up on her tip toes, straining her shoulders in an attempt to reach a book on one shelf too high.
The girl sighs, jumping a little, only to miss the book completely.
 
Kris watches her with a mildly entertained smile on his face, as he pushes himself out of his chair.
Blowing her bangs out of her face, the girl shrugs over, ready to give up.
She gives the shelf a look of determination and stretches to try once more, but finds a hand reaching out in her stead.
 
She turned to the owner of said hand and smiled gratefully as he passed her the novel, "Thank you."
 
Kris gives her a small smile of his own, "Don't mention it." he replies, and makes his way back to his seat.
 
The girl stands there for a while, before choosing to join him at his table.
He looks up at her briefly, but makes no comment, as they settle into a comfortable silence.
They say nothing, only sitting quietly and reading.
 
When her watch bings, she stands up and begins to gather her things.
As she's leaving, she pauses and turns back to him, "I'm Ami, by the way."
 
He let out a quiet chuckle, "Kris."
 
From that day forward for the next four years, the two shared Kris' hideaway each morning, simply reading in silence.
 
---
If that confused you, it's only a short update to establish how Ami and Kris met.
The two of them were very close in college.
 
So how has this been so far? Good, bad, delete? Comment please~