Key's White Day

So... I'm His Boyfriend?

 

The door slammed shut.

I scratched the back of my head, clearly flummoxed. A split second later, the door opened slightly, allowing for Key’s tiny head to pop out of the crack. “And, I’ll call you later.” And with that, the door was closed once again, leaving me outside the SHINee dorm.

Judging by that morning’s event, I think I was kicked out. For the first time, in the history of my relationship with Key, I was kicked out of the SHINee dorm during my usual morning checkups. At first, I thought he was only kidding when he asked me to leave. But that all changed when he was serious and wouldn’t let me step even one inch inside their living quarters.

“No, Hae Young, I said you can’t come in!” He scolded, tapping my nose.

“B-but why?”

“Stop asking questions and go to school!”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

I tapped my foot impatiently and cross my arms across my chest. “What are you hiding, Key?”

“Nothing! I just… need time for myself!”

I rolled my eyes. “Oh, really? So, could you please explain to me how that’s possible when you’re with five other guys inside there with you?”

“The boys aren’t home. It’s just me,” Key replied.

My eyes drifted down to my watch. 7:20 AM. “Right, the boys are all working this early in the morning,” I commented sarcastically.

“Yes! They’re not here. I’m telling you it’s just- ”

“Who are you talking to, Kibum?” I heard the distant voice of Onew, who was standing behind Key on his tippy-toes, trying to get a glance at whom Key was guarding the dorm from. My boyfriend turned around and faced their leader, not exactly happy at his presence.

“Aha!” I exclaimed triumphantly. “I knew you weren’t alone!”

“Hi, Hae Young,” greeted Onew. His smile was quickly replaced by a gulp when he noticed Key’s glare on him.

“Pabo!” Key growled, whacking him on the back of his head.

“Ow! What was that for?!” Onew grimaced.

“Onew, why won’t Key let me inside the dorm?” I asked him straightaway before Key could shoo him away.

“He’s not letting you in?” Onew was apparently just as confused as I was. “Well, that’s weird. I thought he would, seeing that there are a lot of flowers here- ”

“YAH!” Key yelped, pushing Onew away. “Hae Young-ah! OUT! Go to school!”

“But- ”

“OUT!”  I stepped back as Key lunged for the door and shut it in front of me.

As much as I was confused about why Key was not letting me in, I still wanted to reap this moment of freedom for the first time in five long months. Quickly – before Key would change his mind and ask me to come back – I left their apartment building and decided to take a nice, long, peaceful walk towards my school. It was a beautiful spring morning, and it’s actually been quite awhile since I could just take a lackadaisical stroll towards my school.

Except, one thing was a bit different that day. Walking by, I was sure I passed by a dozen school boys lugging around several flower bouquets and baskets all fresh and neatly decorated with teddy bears and balloons and chocolates. I had to do a double take on each boy, before finally realizing what today was.

White Valentine’s Day.

I was already at the school’s gate when I abruptly stopped in my tracks and turned around. And from there, I ran. I ran past the oncoming students, bemused with seeing a schoolgirl like me running from school. I ran up the street I had just strolled down oh-so liberally. I ran past the same shops and storefronts that I had just been gazing at in my first "peaceful walk" to school. In some odd and ironic turn of events, I had just wasted my time walking to school only to run back up to SHINee's dorm and appear once again in front of their door - sweaty and out of breath. My mind was no longer working like clockwork; I honestly didn't know why I just had to come back. It was White Day, for goodness' sake. The only one who should do the chasing was Key.

But then again, I usually am the boyfriend in this relationship, so I'm not entirely surprised to find myself in drastic need to greet him on this special day. However, that Kim Kibum better thank me for running all the way back here just to greet him, or else I'll have a cow and have it eat his face off. 

I knocked once, before letting myself inside their dorm, not exactly caring if Key would have my head chopped off for intruding their space so suddenly. In a sick and erted manner, I was a bit nervous as to what I would see inside. I mean, there has to be a logical explanation as to why he didn't want me to come in, in the first place, right? I clasped a hand over my eyes, splitting the space in between my index and middle finger allowing me to peek through.

"Key!" I called out, opening the door. "I'm coming inside and if you and your bandmates are having some sick, masochistic, gay , then I'm sorry to interrupt. But I just wanted to say - "

I stood paralyzed on my spot at the threshold. A small "o" formed on my lips and I gingerly dropped my hand from over my eyes. Staring with complete and utter shock at the place, all I could comprehend was the amount of flower basket and bouquets that were placed all over the room. There were red, pink, and white roses in different styles and arrangements. In addition, there were also spider lilies and purple orchids. Many of the flower arrangements looked much more exquisite and beautiful than the ones I saw the schoolboys holding for their girlfriends earlier. The whole living room of the boys' dorm seemed to be a garden or some hip florist shop; the room was heavily fragranced by the lingering aroma of the fresh flora and greenery.

Suddenly, panicky footfalls descended from up the hallway leading up to the boys' living room. Key appeared at the doorway: his Hello Kitty toothbrush in hand, minty fresh froth lining his mouth, and all out stupefaction gleamed as his current expression. 

"AHHH!" He yelped, waving his toothbrush in front of me and causing his saliva-mixed toothpaste to fly across the room. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to greet you." I said, shielding my face from his toothpaste. Key pursed his lips, causing even more toothpaste to ooze out from between his lips. I took a step back, sensing the oncoming wave of his wrath.

"You're not supposed to see this!!" Key whined, though his words were a bit muffled by the toothpaste stored inside his lips. He continued to flail his arms in front of me as if it were some successful attempt to cover the view of the living room from me. Realizing that it was not exactly working and that he couldn't speak properly with all that toothpaste in his mouth, he held up his finger as if to say “wait”, before dashing back to the bathroom to spit it out. Less than a minute later, he scurried back to the living room. "This was supposed to be a surprise! Urghh!" He groaned childishly, his voice a few octaves higher.

"What is this? Are you suddenly running a flower shop in the sidelines? Are you really that feminine?! Boys usually deal drugs, not flower pots!"

"No, you pabo! These are for you!"

I gasped. "Which one?"

"All of it." Key said matter of factly.

I clutched my chest in amazement. "Th-there are about a dozen here!"

"Twenty, to be exact."

"Twenty?! Why?"

"Because it's White Day!" My boyfriend cheerily exclaimed. He walked up to me, took hold of my face and squished my cheeks, right before place a quick peck on my lips. "Happy White Valentine's Day, jagiya!"

I was startled. "N-no... I mean, why did you buy twenty flowers? One would have been fine..."

Key beamed down at me. "I haven't really been bringing you flowers each time we went out on dates. So, to make up for 19 flowerless dates, I bought them all in one night – including one more for today's special occasion."

I flustered. “Aww… Key, that’s so sweet! You shouldn’t have!”

“Yeah, Key, you really shouldn’t have. Now our damn dorm smells like Onew’s shower gel.”

Both Key and I perked up to see Minho now standing inside the living room. I sighed. Minho the Great has just entered the room. Prepare for a Minho -rant in 3… 2… 1…

“What are we going to do with all these flowers? Don’t ask me to help you carry all these flowers to her place. Do I look like a carriage to you? And I don’t expect you to keep these flowers overnight, either. Dead flowers indicate bad luck. I’ve had enough bad luck to deal with. It’s hard enough getting Taemin to stop being a pansy without any bad luck. I’m trying to get him to man up, but someone just had to waltz in here every now and then and make it even hard for him. So take these damn flowers outside and don’t come back until someone’s made me a sandwich. Jinki-hyung ate everything in this house including the cat.”

And with that, Minho stormed back out of the room, pushing past Onew who had popped up out of nowhere holding, lo and behold, a sandwich.

He looked at me, and then at Key. “We have a cat?”

I gulped audibly. I think we all have overestimated the limitations of Key’s naggy nature. It seems as if I poked the sleeping dragon and unleashed the hidden Choiminator. No one has really heard Minho’s rant – or even say more than three words for that matter. So you’d think I’d just peed in my pants after listening to him get really angry like that, especially since I was the initiator of all that anger, but still, I was expecting that. So, I wasn’t all that shocked to see him act up like that. But it was a different situation for Key.

“Are you alright?” I asked him, snapping my fingers in front of his dazed expression.

“Wh-what? Oh! Yeah, I’m fine.” He said, snapping back to reality. “Anyway, shall we head out now?”

“Head out? What are you talking about? I have to get to school in ten minutes.” I replied.

“I didn’t know we had a cat.” Onew muttered.

Key shook his head. “No, no. You’re missing school.”

“I’m missing school? Do you know what you’re saying right now? I can’t just blow off school.”

“I thought we only had dogs.”

“It’s White Day! Of course you can blow off school!” Key protested.

“And since when was it even allowed to ditch school for a stupid holiday like this?” I cried.

“She’s got a point there.” Onew nodded.

Key shot their leader daggers. “Shut up, hyung. Go find that damn cat.” Onew simply shrugged and left the room, munching on his sandwich.

“I’m the cool cat, meow~” He sang, as he ascended up their hallway.

Key turned back to me. “Hae Young, we’re going to go out today, whether you like or not. This is a once in a lifetime chance, since I’m finally offering to pay for our date.”

I slapped my forehead. “Your bribery seriously displeases me, Kibum.”

“So, is that a yes?” He asked, giving off his most ecstatic smile yet.

“Yes.” I groaned. In reality, however, I did actually want to go out and spend the whole day with him. I just don’t know why I put up such a front of resistance.

“Leave your schoolbag here. I don’t want you carrying that around today.” He demanded. I did as I was told and waited for him as he went back to his room to grab his coat and his purse shoulder bag. It wasn’t only until five minutes later until he finally returned – but with an exasperated expression and a clingy Onew, who was also putting on his coat.

“For the last time, hyung, you can’t come!” Key snapped at him, making his way towards me. Onew simply followed along.

“But you remember what manager-hyung said last night, didn’t you? You can’t just go out there with Hae Young in broad daylight.”

“But I always go out with her in broad daylight. We’ve never been caught.”

“Who’s to say you wouldn’t get caught today? And besides, the consequences of being caught today are far sketchier than if you would get caught on a normal day.”

I looked at Onew, puzzled. He continued speaking to Key, as if to answer my expression, “If you get caught going out alone with a girl on White Day, then automatically the fans will think something’s up. And Hae Young’s life will be forever endangered as you know it.”

I jerked my head towards Key, alarmed at Onew’s words. “Umm… I’d rather not.”

Key rolled his eyes, disinterested. “Oh please! Jinki’s overreacting.”

Onew waved his hands in front of his chest. “I’m not, seriously. If you don’t believe me, then take a look at Sekyung’s non-existent Cyworld as an example. She’s a celebrity with strong security ties. What more if it’s someone as vulnerable as Hae Young?”

Still intensely uneasy, I gripped onto Key’s forearm. “Okay, Onew is really scaring me.”

A wide grin formed on Onew’s mouth. “No need to be alarmed, Hae Young. All I need to do is just tag along in your date so the fans will just suspect you as our coordi-noona or one of the staff. It’s easy as pie.”

I nodded my head quickly. “Key, let Onew-oppa tag along! I don’t want to be mulled to death by your ravenous fans!”

Key threw a hand to his hair, grip tightly at his strands in frustration. “Hyung, you are such a !”

“I’m only here to preserve your ity.” Onew said, giving off his winning eye-smiles and holding his fingers up to form a cute little “peace” sign.

“Yeah, what’s left of it,” I muttered quietly, before getting nudged in the ribs by Key. “Ow!”

“So, lovebirds, where are we headed off to today?”

“Hae Young and I are going to go get breakfast at a traditional Korean restaurant.” Key said, still scowling at his hyung.

“Perfect! Though, I hope they serve waffles. I’m suddenly getting the cravings for them. You haven’t been making them at home anymore, at that saddens me, Key.”

“And I probably never will if you don’t shut up today,” He replied, leading me out of the dorm.

Key’s White Day, with a special guest appearance by Onew. Boy, this is going to be interesting.

 



 

A/N: My gosh! What can I say! Sorry? LOL Being an admin of Lemonswirls actually keeps me from updating. I've also lost inspiration, so I tried reading quite a lot of crackfics to help me out, so that's why this chapter seems a  little crack-y (especially with Minho's rant in this chapter). Also, one of the main reasons why I took awhile was because I deleted my first draft of this. I had written about 4 pages (in MS Word) for this chapter, but I had to delete it all because it was too long and I hadn't even gotten to the point yet. So yeah, I'll put that "deleted chapter" as a blog post for all to see. Anyway, muchos gracias for all the lovely comments! I enjoyed reading all your kind words, and even your predictions! I'm just glad none of you were correct, because that would have killed the surprise!

So yeah, White Day is actually an exact month after Valentine's Day, and it's set aside for guys to buy their girlfriends gifts, jewelry, chocolate, write them letters and all that blah blah sweet stuff that I've never got to experience in my pathetic, lonely 16 years of singledom, lol. With that being said, you can now take note that the events in this story all take place around February/March of 2011. White Day in 2011 fell on a Monday, which I thought was a great coincidence for the story. ^^ 

Oh, and I got this story reviewed at Eccentric! Click here to see the review! I guess I got an alright grade, haha!