Prologue

Butterfly Effects: The Fallen Grace

 

"Come in."

The wooden door creaked open, revealing a bulky guy with funny side-whipped hair. He bowed, discreetly studied the stern man sitting across the room before daring several steps forward. "Good morning, Kibum-seonsaengnim, sir", he stopped at an appropriate distance, stack of files in hand, waiting for permission to continue his talk.

The Vice-director raised one fine brow at the early intrusion, regarded the messenger with a curt nod. "Report, Bong Gul", was all he said before turning back to the number of papers neatly spreaded all over table.

Let out a breath he didn't realize that he was holding, Bong Gul cleared his throat, fumbling through the manila folder.

"We have three new patients coming today," he paused, "... recommended by a current resident of ours."

Kibum halted his pen mid-track, eyes squinting quizzically.

"By Kangin-sshi." Bong Gul stiffled back a wince, nodded in confirmation. "Yes, it's that Kangin-sshi, sir."

Silence occupied the place. He can feel air freezing into ice, weighting down his shoulders. Piercing gaze needled through his forehead. Bong Gul inwardly groaned, bracing himself to just get this quickly done and over with.

"All three of them were classified as Special Class Cases. Though there is one unsure, since he far surpassed the general standard even for a SC patient."

"I don't expect any small fry from that loony Kangin's friend-throng." Kibum simply noted, cleaning his slightly misty glasses. Voice cold and somber.

"Y-yes. A-apparently they are all quite… famous and influential in their own rights."

There was an unimpressed 'hm'. A pause.

"Read." The young Vice-director motioned as he went back to the paper piling on his table, then adding, "Make it short."

Bong Gul promptly flipped to the second page, scanning through the content with extra heed. Clearing his throat yet again for mental support, he began.

"We have Yesung, his real name is Kim Jongwoon. Twenty-eight years old. Birth date: August 24, 1984. Drug addict, alcoholic. Craved for any form of stimulant. His body—a tad better than living dead. No detected physical disability. No found record of defensive action to public peace."

"Assign to Ryeowook." Kibum replied, face half-bored.

"But sir, Ryeowook-seonsaengnim just—"

"Call this his first case, 'grand debut'."

"He's still new to the job, sir, is it really alright to give this SC—"

There was something short of life-threatening when the young man shot him the icing glare. His “Are you questioning me?” came out hard, flat like a wall. Bong Gul loyally sealed his mouth shut.

After a long, harsh silence, Kibum broke the stuffiness with a fluid snap of fingers.

"Continue."

The man nodded in fidgety motion. Anxiety engulfed his whole being.

"The second one is Cho Kyuhyun. Twenty-four years old. Birth date: February 3, 1988. addict, a beastial one at that. Leader of one notorious gang group that has control over all Chongnyangni 588, Miari, Yeondungpo and Itaewon*. No bodily defect. Surprisingly no STD's nor HIV's deed was found in his body. Healthy as a lion. Can't keep it in his pants for more than five minutes."

"The report really said that?" Kibum's tone was accompanied with just a tint of amusement. Bong Gul scratched his head apologetically, gulping down a nervous laugh.

"Actually yes, sir. Even his profile picture looks like he's going to dry-hump the camera."

"Mmhm." Kibum jotted down some quick notes on a piece of paper, absently commented. "Sounds like Sungmin's next project." Then he paused a bit, staring at the addict’s profile, brows furrowing. "The pose... he looks too at ease for someone who’s admitted in a mental institution."

"They… actually came by themselves, sir. Like I first said, Kangin-sshi introduced us to those three. My guess is that they think of this place as some kind of resort." He answered, earning a glare from the Vice-director.

"Go on, who's last?"

Kibum asked with a tone of obvious disconcern and blatant coldness. Then again, Bong Gul rewinded, his employer has always been rather heedless.

"The last one is Choi Siwon. Twenty-six years old. Birth date: April 7, 1986. Better knowns as 'Shisus'."

He looked up from the file, waiting for some kind of acknowledgement from Kibum. To his effort, the man did react just a quirky bit at the name mentioned. ‘Shisus’, sounds familiar enough, wasn't it an international terrorist—

Oh. Kibum blinked. Oh.

"Another killing maniac?"

The messenger glanced down at his shoes, swallowing hard before murmuring a hesitant ‘Yes’.

If the sheer disgust hinted in the depth of Kibum's eyes was of any indication, Bong Gul catched that.

The Vice-director waved his hand in dismissal. "Accept the first two. Kick out the third. Leeteuk's taken, Kangin’s a leech. There's no other capable therapist in Bloodthirst Department to handle this Siwon’s calibre."

"Pardon me sir, but 'bloodthirst' isn't his only problem..." The man grimmed at the paper in his hand, pretty much summarized it in a shiver.

Mildly frowned, Kibum beckoned him to continue.

"He has clear symptoms of split-personalities, almost like programming modes. So far we can observe three of them: one is quite normal, gallant gentleman and all that; another varies from unstable to savage; then we have the 'insane' one, being so ridiculously religious he deemed himself as an ‘executor’ chosen by the Lord to cleanse Earth. In short, our Admission Office classified him, or specifically his last character as 'highly dangerous', 'restraint order recommended' and 'best keep in confinement'."

Bong Gul whiffed out in one breath. He was about to go on when Kibum gave him a 'stop' signal. The young man leaned back to his leather seat, silently bemused.

Next couple minutes were spent without much words, except for the seldom "um-sir?" from a very uncomfortable Bong Gul. The messenger resorted to idyllically shuffle on his feet. Kibum's face was solemn, strict and hard as stone. It took somewhat like a century-long silence, a frown, un-frown, then re-frown for the Vice-director to have him finally leaning again forward. Deep brown eyes shone like a predator.

"Hand me the file, Bong Gul." His voice drip-dropped with venomous anticipation. "This guy shall be my new subject for experiments."

"Seonsaengnim, sir, he's already like this—" Bong Gul looked terrified.

"Exactly why. He’s already like this, wouldn't hang on much longer in this state anyway." Kibum knitted his hands as though closing the argument (was there even one to begin with?), tone firm and final.

 

“Go. Carry out my arrangement."

 

-----

 

*Chongnyangni 588, Miari, Yeondungpo and Itaewon: Seoul's 4 largest red-light districts.