Welcome to the University of Korea.

Starstruck

I got up quickly and grabbed my suitcases from the place where you put your luggage. I speeded my way through the aisles and finally reached up to the door. I got off the plane and there were long lines of people coming from different planes heading towards the Seoul airport to go to their destination. I followed the long lines and found myself outside in Seoul, Korea.

I immediately called my parents to inform them that I had arrived in Korea.

They told me to be careful and to have fun out there but to make sure to get good grades and study hard.

 

I walked through the crowds of people trying to get to my college.

Of course I had no idea where I was going so it was hard to try and find it so I just had to ask some people.

 

But after all that walking and getting the wrong directions, I actually managed to find the college because I realized that I had the directions inside of my pocket the whole time. (Yes I know it was stupid of me not to check my pockets)

 

After that long walk from the airport and to my college, I was finally inside and it looked so big.

There were tons of students walking up and down the stairs getting to their classes and tons of students just lounging in a room eating and chatting with their friends.

I was so happy because I never actually thought I would be in one of these colleges.

 

*Note: They are speaking some Korean and English because in this college mostly everyone knows Korean and English. This is the only college so far that knows English

 

“Excuse me miss, do you need help with something?” A lady behind a desk asked me.

“Annyeonghaseyo, yes I am here because I got an email stating that I am now enrolled to go to start college here” I told her.

“Ah so you’re, Yun Min Ah?” she said.

“Yes I am” I replied.

“Oh okay can I just get your date of birth”

November 16, 1992

“Thank you. Now if you can please follow one of our mentors so she can show you where your dorm is and show you around the college” she said while pointing to a female with a tall, slim figure and long black hair.

I bowed toward the lady at the desk and said thank you in Korean. (gamsahabnida)

 

“Annyeong, I’m Bang Chan-sook. Nice to meet you and I will be your mentor and guide. First I will show you the classes, etc.”

“Let’s go to the classes first” She said.

 

As we walk through the halls, I see other students and they’re learning and they’re so focus that even if a celebrity were to pass by they wouldn’t have noticed.

 

We walk up stairs and she tells me about the lockers and the classes that I want to take and other stuff.

She told me that the first classes of the semesters have already started but since I was enrolled in late notice and I have a good record and the youngest student in the whole school that I have enough time to get my books and classes together…

 

(Honestly the only reason why I wasn’t accepted to the other colleges because they thought I was too smart for the classes they had and they didn’t want me to overshadow the other students plus they were kind of prejudice toward other races especially, Korean-Americans.)

 

 

….We walked up another set of stairs and she motions to the class that looks like a library.

 

“This is the local library that is located on the 3rd floor and also the bathrooms are there too.”

 

I nodded.

 

Finally she took me to all the dorms.

They had the students names on it and numbers so people wouldn’t get confused and she explained to me that some people get roommates because there aren’t enough dorms at the college. So by any chance I might have to share a room with someone.

 

“Okay that’s all, if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.” She told me.

“Okay” I said.

We both bowed to each other and she smiled at me and left.

I looked for my name on a list in the hallway.

I found it and I had dorm number 21.

I walked through the halls looking around for my room like a lost puppy.

 

When I found my room and I looked up at the number 21

 

I saw “Yun Min Ah” in Korean on a gold-patented smooth nametag sealed onto the door.