I Can See

Bedtime Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Dedicated to the elderly lady at the subway station.

 

 

Oh Sehun could see them.

 

People called them spirits, ghosts, the dead.

 

Oh Sehun called them freaks.

 

It's just because people couldn't see them that they didn't know, but they really were freaks--freaks who craved attention.

 

A couple of nights ago, sliding into the subway train, Oh Sehun took a seat on the subway by the entrance. It was one of the old subway trains that the city was still insistent on using. The row of chairs stretched all the way down on the left and right side of the train 

 

 

He had his earphones plugged into his ears with his favorite dance songs on repeat, and his shoulders were just itching to blast into a popping move and break out into a little dance. He fluidly twirled his right index finger and tapped his left foot along with the beats to hold back his urges.

 

The song changed.

 

Now swaying his head back and forward, he casually looked up at the seats across from him. There was an elderly man reading the newspaper that was opened so wide that his face and his upper torso were hidden behind the large gray pages.

 

Sehun stared at the back pages of the newspaper and didn't realize that he was gradually humming along to the song.

 

Maybe Sehun was humming bit too loud or Sehun's humming sounded horrible. Either way, the elderly man lowered his news paper into his lap, revealing his face and giving Oh Sehun a dirty look of silence.

 

That's when he saw her.

 

At the window just behind the elderly man, pressed up against the glass was the face of a pale woman with long dark hair. Her unblinking eyes widely stretched and her pupils small and unfocused. Earlier, he could not see because the man's newspaper was covering her face, but there she was, staring at him with curved into a sly grin.

 

For the rest of the ride, Oh Sehun shut up and stayed glued to his seat without moving a muscle, hoping the dead woman did not notice that he saw her because they always wanted somebody to see them. Somebody to make eye contact with them.

 

That was a specific ghost that had been bothering Sehun. He didn't know why, but since two days ago, one of these freaks was freaking him out: a girl at his subway station.

 

The girl, strangely figured, was rather ugly--flaky pale skin, dark but brittle long hair and a simple white gown with random yellow stains near the bottom. She was unnaturally tall, rising about a head or two taller than Sehun if she stood straight, but her back was always bent forward like an elderly woman at nearly 90 degrees to match the height of everybody around her and to be able to make eye contact.

 

With her fingers clawing wildly in front of her, she would always wander around with her back curved and face out forward, frantically trying to meet eyes with somebody. Her glassy eyes opened as widely as possible and gaped open as she panted loudly through and creepily snapped her head from one side to another with a snap.

 

She continuously watched and gazed into the eyes of the people who could not see her, making strange grunting or gurgling noses whenever a person approached her and quieting as the person passed by without seeing her.

 

Her motions seemed as though she was begging for someone to notice her. To see her.

 

Of course, no one could see her, except Sehun.

 

The problem arose when Sehun was heading home. He got off at the subway station, and the girl just happened to be right at the entrance as the subway door slid open. Her back bent and her neck pushed out forward so her face was merely inches away from Sehun's face, she stared into his eyes with her long dry hair tickling his cheeks.

 

Knowing better than to stare back, the boy spaced out and turned his gaze to the floor.

 

He thought it would be over after that.

 

When Sehun opened the door to his house and decided to hit the sack, he felt a strange chill behind him. Sehun didn't turn around though. Like said, he knew better than that. Instead, he continued forward toward his bedroom and fell face flat onto his bed and fell asleep right away, refusing to survey his surroundings.

 

Maybe an hour had passed. Perhaps two.

 

Oh Sehun woke at the sound of someone messi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter