The Light

On The Other Side

I wake up the next morning almost regrettably, the bright autumn sun gleaming through the sheer white curtains. I lay there a moment, sleep still creeping at the edge of my vision threatening to pull me back under, and then attempt the seemingly impossible.

 

The process of dragging my own body out of bed is tough, but after a few tries -those of which ended in absolute failure- I finally slip out of the soft warm bed. At the moment I find myself eternally grateful that I hadn't removed my socks last night, as the cold of the wooden floor nearly sinks through the fabric.

 

I move around the room, trying to wake myself up some more. It's not a very successful activity, as I'm ridiculously clumsy when I'm not fully awake. Though that doesn't seem to matter in this house now that I think back. I seem to be clumsy all the time here.

 

Giving up on waking up any more than I already had, I blearily walk into the hall. It's quiet in the big house, and vaguely, I wonder if I had woken up before Kibum. I walk to the door he had disappeared behind the night before, and listen closely for some sign of life. Every so often the sound of some sort of movement slips from the room, accompanied by a dim amount of music.

 

Satisfied that the boy was most likely awake, I straighten up and lightly knock on the door before entering, and suddenly, I'm not quite sure about life anymore.

 

The room itself was normal, pink of all things, but normal. It was similar to the look of the room I slept in, what with an almost identical furniture layout. Just more...Aa...fluffy. And more lived in. But the decor and color scheme aren't what had me questioning the world's -as well as my own- existence.

 

No. That would be the light blue, shimmery, stream of light floating around the room. The light that had objects (beauty products of varying brands to be exact) hovering around the vanity. The light that was continuously switching the songs on the stereo by the door. The light that seemed to be controlled by my blonde host.

 

I take a step forward, not completely sure if what I was seeing was real, or if I was still dreaming. Of course, it's then that I stumble over the area rug. -Really, I just can't catch a break in this house can I?-

 

Kibum suddenly looks up, and we make eye contact through the vanity mirror. He squeaks in surprise.

 

T-T-Taemin!”

 

Suddenly, the lights are gone, the products are on the floor, the music is off, and I'm still sitting on the cold floor, eyes wide in astonishment, matching Kibum's own expression through the looking glass.

 

Did you just – Did I Just... What was that?”

 

Kibum looks lost for a moment almost worried, and then sighs, turning around on the vanity stool to look at me, resignation and frustration swimming in his dark eyes.

 

What do you think it was Taemin?” He asks.

 

“…... Kibum, are you magic?”

 

I must look like a kid who had just seen his favorite super hero in person. This was really cool, if I was right. Forget ghosts, I might have just found a freaking wizard!

 

He gives me a blank stare, as if to say 'Really, what else could that spectacular light show have been?' But I don't pick up on that.

 

No Taemin, I'm a robot, and my house is up-linked to my hard drive. Everything that you just witnessed was due to the wonders of science.”

 

I think for a moment. But, … “... I'm not sure which is more believable at this point.”

 

You are absolutely hopeless.”

 

 

So really. What was that?”

 

Oh my god.”

 

Kibum threw his arms up in defeat, moved over to the bed, and unceremoniously dropped himself on top of it.

 

I get up from the floor and make my way to him, climbing up on the girly pink bed to join my new companion. He had his arm placed over his face, the other palm down on the comforter. “Kibum?” I prod gently at his arm. No answer. “Really what was that?” Still no answer.

 

Kibum~” I figured that, since my pride and dignity as a man where pretty much desecrated to the deepest pits of the underworld last night, whining like a child and playing up my baby-face wasn't out of the question any more. I pout and whimper like a child that wasn't getting his favorite toy, pushing persistantly at the other male's arm, and soon Kibum is looking at me, arm removed from his face, perfectly giving in to my act.

 

Kibum huffs, and sits up. “Gah! Fine! Fine! Just stop with the aegyo!”

 

I smile triumphantly and make myself comfortable on the bed, expecting a full explanation. The older male adjusts his position as well, and then just closes his eyes. Inhaling and exhaling in a slow rhythmic fashion. Before long, the blue light is floating around the two of us, materializing like the morning mist. It's more amazing than before, now that I'm so much closer. The swirling blue hue becoming one of the most beautiful things I had laid my eyes on. My hand reaches out to the airy looking substance, and the light just ghosts around the limb. It's warm, and sort of tickles.

 

At the edge of my peripheral view, I can see Kibum's lips quirk into a soft smile, his eyes opening to watch me twist my hand within the shining streams of light. I look at him and smile back amazed. He chuckles, and then begins his story.

 

This is something that I've been able to do for about, Hmn, ten years now? You were partially right. It is magic, in a sense. But the idea of magic has a very broad spectrum of possibilities. So to be a little more accurate, this is more like … a breath of life. My life to be exact.”

 

I pull my hand away from the light slowly, the thought of legitimately having the essence of someone's life in my hand coming across as odd to me.

 

I can manipulate energy in this form. Where it's an actual part of me. As you saw, I can move objects, and mess with the electronics in the house.” The cosmetics were being placed in their proper spot as he spoke. The light drifting amongst the products. “I can use it as a shield and as a weapon as well.” A sudden bright flash, and what I assume was a spider was now singed on the ceiling. “I can even use it to make certain areas off limits to anyone besides me. Something I should have done this morning before I was so rudely imposed upon.” He gave me a teasing look, and I shrug back sheepishly.

 

I knocked.”

 

He rolled his eyes. The essence finishes it's cleaning spree and soon is floating completely around the two of us, the heat of Kibum's power warming the air before fading out.

 

So far I mostly use it to keep out the pesky kids from town, but seeing as you aren't from here ...”

 

Is that why I didn't experience anything weird last night?”

 

Yup. The bond that's placed on the house only recognizes the people from town. I only do it for personal reasons. I actually have a deal with Mrs. Park to talk up the rumors to keep people away. It usually works. Today's horror movie craze sees to that. But every so often, one of the younger generations decides to grow a pair and prove the haunting as a fake. I think if I didn't have it, the older kids would try to use this place as a party spot. Ugh, just thinking of the mess makes me upset. Hmnph.” A look of distaste crumples his brow, and then disappears with a shrug. “Thus my “magic tricks” are a little bit essential.”

 

That makes sense I guess.” And it really did. I don't know how, but none of this was confusing me at all. I feel I took this whole thing in stride. I wonder though...

 

How did you learn how to do that? Use our own energy and stuff? Can you teach me?” Oh now I was excited, if I could learn how to do that, it would be so awesome! I'd be like...Harry Potter or something. Wait no. I'd actually prefer to be Ron. He get's Hermione.

 

Kibum smiled sadly, with a swirl of unknown emotion clouding his feline eyes. “It's not something you learn Taemin. It's... This kind of power comes at a price. Those who can manipulate their own “life force”, it's not particularly a good thing. Besides, it's more a part of my job than anything.”

 

I wanted to ask more. What did he mean a price? What did he have to give? And what did he mean 'job'? I had so many questions to ask.

 

But then Kibum got up off the bed, his sad demeanor changing to a happier carefree one.

 

Enough of this. I think it's time to make breakfast. How about it Taeminnie?”

 

Oh no he didn't.

 

Did you just call me ...”

 

Taeminnie? Yeah. It's your new nick name starting now.”

 

But...But...”

 

Come on Taeminnie~” And with that he ran out of the room, presumably towards the stairs and to the kitchen. I'm soon running after him, ire lacing my voice.

 

Hey! You get back here! Kim Kibum, this nickname is NOT OK!”

 

He only replies with his ever present laughter.

 

I hate my life.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And thus we get a small taste of what is Kim Kibum. And Taemin is such a child, no matter how much he wishes he wasn't. But it works to his advantage. Maybe later we'll get to see a more mature side to him, yes?

Next chapter will have a guest or two btw. Just to keep you guessing and all.

I'm sorry this took forever. College has been stupid, and I don't like algebra. But really, not many people actually do.

Again, Thankyou for those who have subscribed and leave wonderful comments.

 

If you have any questions so far, don't be afraid to ask. I'll try to answer any question, as long as it's not how the story ends. ;D

 

Till Next time~