Enigma...

The Sorcerer's Stone

 

Waking up in the morning is probably the hardest part in my existence. I looked at my alarm clock and saw the time. 5:30 am is what was shown. I rubbed my eyes and covered hid my sleepy body under my think blue blanket.

“Emiliaaaaa~” I heard my mom’s voice yelling from the corridors of our house. It echoed through my ear so I grabbed one pillow and used it as a cover to my ear. “Palliii! Wake up now my baby!” she called as she jumped onto my bed and nudged her chin onto my neck.

I curled myself and uttered words that I myself can’t understand either… I felt my mom stood up and even heard he footsteps as she opened the curtains so that I would be awake. Fortunately enough, the sun hasn’t risen yet.

“Yah! Kim Taeyeon! Wake up now!” My mom once again called. the words that she said echoed through my ears. She just called me Kim Taeyeon for Goddess’ sake. And the way she pronounced those Korean words… I praise her professionalism in that. She is good in anjusting.

“Alright alright!” I replied as I made a sitting position on my bed. My mom smiled and sat beside me. She her hand onto my hair and gave me a peck on my forehead.

“Go and take a bath now, you smell like a pig.” She teased. I felt my lips smile and set out a giggle. That’s how sweet my mother is.

I followed what she asked me to. After that, I changed to my newly bought school uniform. Koreans really do have a fashionable school uniform like those in the movies. Comfortable white long sleeves with brown and red stripes as the necktie, a not so thick brown coat partnered with a red and brown checkered above the knee skirt.

I was still wearing my house slippers –a typical Korean style family does that- when I came out of my room. My dad smiled at me and said, “You look so… Korean-ish baby!”

I sighed, “Dad. Don’t mock me right now.”

“I am not!” he said as he continued eating a freshly made French bread with butter as flavoring.

“Aigoo… take your seat now baby girl… the school bus might come anytime soon.” My mom said as she lead me to our dining table. I took a seat beside my dad and served myself with garlic rice and pork spareribs… I love how the way my mom cooks. A pro!

“You are getting better and better with those Korean expression, mom!” I commended.

“You bet!” she exclaimed. “I was practicing the whole night last night! Just in case you will come home with a friend today.”

I sighed. “Mom. It’s my first day in school. And just like any other ‘1st day’, I’ll be an enigma to them. Another mysterious looking child blabla!”

I became serious this time. That is what I hate about transferring. Another bunch of humans who will give me a peculiar look as I pass by them… another school year of being alone.

“You know honey, I do think that it is you who’s going against the flow in the human society…” my dad started. Another sermon from dad I guess. “You see, you need to be friendlier to them… ever since you started studying, you never had any friends.. I mean, come on Emilia, you’re 18 and you need to have friends… be like any normal teens. Don’t isolate yourself just because you’re different…”

I heard the beeping sound of the bus. So without any hesitations, I grabbed my knapsack and went out of our home. I forgot to kiss goodbye for I was to engross with everything that my dad said.

Don’t isolate yourself just because you’re different… those sentence from him echoed in my mind as I walked my way towards a seat on a school bus. I saw new different faces on each seat at the bus. Some were smiling at me while some are not. I was able to spot an empty seat at the last part of that humongous bus.

We were able to arrive at the campus in just a few minutes after them picking me at home… the moment I stepped on the school campus, something felt weird.

I felt my stomach crumble as I followed the students to the main entrance. I looked around and saw no signs of anything bad… but why do I feel something weird? Am I just nervous? or.. no no! that can’t be. They specifically told me that we were the only family who escaped Niveah.

“Hi!” a tiny voice called from my back. I turned to look at her and force a smile. I am trying to be as friendly as possible okay?!

“H-hi?” I replied.

“Are you… uhm… the new student from Dallas?” she asked curiously.

Wait, she knows me? Why does she know that? “Uh… yes… I am Em… Kim Taeyeon!”

She giggled. “Ah neh! I am Lee Sun Kyu! But you can call me Sunny!”

I smiled. Woah. What a friendly Korean! “Ohh I see…” I said awkwardly. I am not good at making conversations so I gestured my hand for us to just start walking to our room. Crazy as it may seems, but Sunny has been talking a lot while we were walking. All response that I was saying was, Oh, Okay and Yes.

“So this is our class room!” she smiled and entered the room. I was a meter away from our classroom for something smells really weird. The campus smells weird, and at this very distance, it smelled even weirder. Am I feeling nauseous?  No… definitely not…

“Taeyeon-ah!” he voice called me once again. I decided to conquer this smell and I set foot on our classroom. There were only 20 students inside and I could really feel something weird.  It stinks in here! Not a stinky smell of pollution…. Another one… its not possible… I know… its definitely not possible.

The bell rang and just after a few seconds, our home room teacher entered. She asked me to introduce myself to the class.

“Annyeong! Nan, Kim Taeyeon- imnida!” I smiled and bowed 90 degrees. That’s what my dad instructed me. Bow down when meeting someone new… “I came from Dallas and we just transferred here in Seoul last week. Hope you take care of me here”

Everyone applauded after I took my seat.

I can’t stand the scent of our classroom. The scent of my parent’s body! That’s what I smell right now. But that is definitely not possible! Cant be

I keep looking around our medium sized classroom with 20 students and one homeroom teacher inside in search for that Nivean Scent. Him. I saw him staring at me with this weird crazy expression. That guy with a dark brown hair and pale white skin. He keeps staring at me… and at my pendant… and by using my wind power, I was able to smell him. He was the one… he’s the one with that Nivean Scent.

Lee Dong Hae. I saw from his nameplate. He is Lee Dong Hae… but why is he staring at me like that? He’s weird!

I went home with a very puzzled expression. I threw my bag onto the couch and took a seat at my favorite bean bag. I heard the door from my mom’s room opened together with her footsteps coming near me.

“Mom. Is it possible for someone like us to be in this country too?” I asked immediately. My mom came to me hurriedly. She started deeply into my eyes and I can see a very worried expression from her.

“What do you mean huh? What do you mean?” she asked as she held my cheeks. Her eyes were swollen and I could see that she’s really scared.

I force a smile. “Mom! What’s wrong with you? I am just asking you…”

“What do you mean by your question Emilia?” she retorted.

I should be truthful now. I can feel her body and I know how worried she is right now. “There’s this weird scent in our school… a scent of a Nivean mom… but.. I am not sure if they are really from Niveah since you told me that we’re the only family from Niveah who escaped King Narcissus.”

She stood up and walked back in forth in front of me. “Were you able to discover where the scent comes from?”

I nodded. “From a guy named Lee Dong Hae…” I answered. I did not tell her about the weird actions that this guy showed me. She would just worry herself for the next 72 hours.

I gazed at my mom who was still walking back and forth with her arms crossed in front of her chest. Her lip was moving as if she’s uttering some words. “Mom! Are you casting a spell or something?”

“No…” she replied. “Your dad should know about this.”

We had a family meeting right after my dad came home. I don’t get why they are so troubled by what I asked. It seems very important to them…

“Narcissus. That guy probably morphed his face into someone else just to get next to you.” Dad said as he was looking at his book of spells.

“Huh?” I asked curiously. “Why would he do that?”

“You’re now 18 Emilia…” my mom interrupted.

I stared at her and asked, “And so?” I inhaled deeply for I was too confused of everything. “What’s happening here?”

“Narcissus wants your necklace. That’s all he wants.  Don’t you ever come near that guy for now Kim Taeyeon. Do you understand me?” dad demanded as he knelt down in front of me. Both of their expressions seem to be a worried one. I don’t get a thing but one thing’s for sure… I shout follow them.