Chapter 8 - Birthday Competition

Caught In Between

 

S POV

            There was finally a lull between filming, and my unnis has taken it upon themselves to throw me a birthday party. I sighed. I hated having people make such a big deal over me. But Hyoyeon and Sunny threw themselves into the spirit. “Ya! Our Seohyunni’s turning twenty-one!” Tiffany poked my cheeks. I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes. No matter what my age was, I still could not break out of my innocent maknae mold.

            “Hey, Hyunnie, guess who’s coming? A special guest is coming! Keke, we just confirmed it yesterday. Guess, Hyunnie. You’ll like the person,” Hyoyeon teased. She danced around me, barely able to tone down her glee. Jessica stood in the doorway, smiling.

            “Guess! And I was the one who helped convince him,” my blonde unni smiled, obviously proud of herself.

            My head spun. Who could it be? “I don’t know.” I stuttered.

            Jessica winked. “You’ll know when that person gets here then!” She waltzed out of the room, clapping her hands.

            Right before the arrival of this guest, Yuri ushered me upstairs to help me change. Yoona was lounging on their bed, and looked up with a bored expression. “Hey, Seohyunnie. It’s your birthday,” Yuri sang. She approached me with a dress. “Time for our little baby to get dressed.”

            Yoona laughed, turning back into her old self. She grabbed me by the arm and dragged me towards them. “Come on! You’re coming of age. I want you to look pretty.”

            The dress was a fairly short one made of gossamer silk. Tiny sparkles weaved through the fabric and it had a bow clinching it at the waist. I put it on and twirled for them. Yoona hugged me. “Ahh, I am proud.”

            From downstairs, I heard the front door of our dorms open and a yell of happiness. I suppose the mysterious guest has arrived. “Annyeonghaseyeo, where’s Seohyun?” a familiar bass voice vibrated throughout the house. Yoona dropped me unceremoniously and we both uttered very shock, “Bwohs?”

Y POV

            What. The. Hell. Who planned this and who should I kill first? I saw Seohyun’s face blanch before turning a fiery shade of red. Good, she wasn’t expecting it either. For all I knew, she didn’t even want him here to crash our birthday party. I wanted to march down and give him a piece of my mind.

            “Why is he here?” I whispered frantically to Yuri. But she was already pushing Seohyun out the door. I glanced down at my very casual shorts and knit top and wished I had known to dress up. I followed them down.

            Kyuhyun looked up from below the stairs and a smirk played over his handsome features. I felt a prick of irritation at his arrogance, but it was one of the reasons why I love him. He hugged Seohyun and nodded at me. “Wow, the birthday girl looks so gorgeous!”

            That irked me. I glanced away and saw the rest of the members looking on in positive rapture. It was clear they shipped Seokyu. I watched him extricate himself from her slowly before flashing a wide grin at all of us. He handed her a large bouquet of flowers. “Happy Birthday!”

            Seohyun smiled shyly and placed the flowers into a vase. She was so sweet, it made my tooth hurt. Taeyeon clapped her hands. “Great! Now that Kyuhyun-shi is here, we can go on to play our game!”

            Hyoyeon ushered us into the large living room. “Because our Seohyunnie is a singer, we’re going to have them play a singing game. Everyone has to participate. It’s going to be how high can you go? So, Kyuhyun-shi, you’re at a disadvantage.”

            Kyuhyun leaned against the sofa and smirked. Oh my goodness. Be still, my heart. I don’t think he knows how powerful that smirk can be. His lips formed perfect shapes and his eyes would light up from within. “No matter. You’d be surprised. Kyuhyun-shi can go pretty high,” he boasted about himself.

            I was torn between acting either like an ice cold person or a flirty cute girl. I suppose if Seohyun was going to be the innocent one, I get to be the one that puts Kyuhyun on his toes. “Oppa, are you sure? You’re a bass.”

            He finally turned his attention to me. I saw the boredom flicker slightly in his eyes, and bit down on my lips. “Yoona, you have nothing to worry about. You’re such a choding. I bet you have a boyish voice too.”

            The other members tittered and I glared defiantly at him. Aish, why did I like him so much? I shrugged. “We’ll see.”

            It turns out, he can go very high, but in the end it was Jessica who out beat everyone else. I felt no satisfaction in the fact that Seohyun didn’t win. Either way, he still clapped for her. I didn’t’ want my hurt to show on my face, but it was hard. I tried to swallow the bitterness that rose. I can’t act flirty with him, it’ll be too obvious. But if I keep pushing him away, maybe he won’t ever know. In his mind, I hate him. But I don’t. I really don’t.

            Sunny came out with the cake and I had to admit, we really know how to plan party. I wanted to let Seohyun know that I love her. It really was just Kyuhyun that was tearing me apart like this. So I reached over to take a finger of the icing and dip it on her nose. But when my fingers reached the smooth white filling, I saw Kyuhyun take out a smaller pie and smash it in her face.

            She gasped, clearly not anticipating. I burned with rage, protection and jealousy. Who did he think he was? Seohyun is a girl! You don’t do that to a girl! You can do that to your hyungs, but not to females. And, it’s what you did with really close friends. Do you really consider yourself that close with Seohyun that you would do that with her? The thought only saddened me.

            Tiffany ran to clean her up while Taeyeon protested. “What’s wrong with you, Cho Kyuhyun! Ya, you don’t do that to girls.” Kyuhyun even started to look a little sorry.

            But Seohyun waved them off. “It’s okay. It’s actually really good. Besides, this shows that oppa and I are getting to be really close friends aren’t we?” She smiled up at him.

            “Neh, exactly!” Kyuhyun nodded in agreement. He proceeded to hand her a large slice of the cake. I wanted to clap my hands over my ears, unwilling to hear the coos they made when he fed her. What the heck. You aren’t even dating.

            When we cleared away the food, Taeyeon-unni announced that we would have to get into pairs for the karaoke competition. Kyuhyun immediately dragged Seohyun into the corner. “We’re team supreme because maknaes are always the most talented.” He high fived her. I clenched my jaws and stuck with Yuri. These two were making my stomach hurt.

S POV

            The most amazing thing that could possibly happen on my birthday did happen. I never expected Kyuhyun to be the mysterious guest, but I was glad he was the one. He was so attentive, and so sweet. But I should never hope he likes me. That would be too much. So I just enjoyed the time we had together.

            I wasn’t expecting Kyuhyun to be willing to be my partner. I was expecting to be paired with our leader. So when he dragged me away onto a separate couch, my heart flipped a thousand cartwheels. “We’re team supreme because maknaes are always the most talented.” I shyly gave him a high five. There was something about his energy that always made me feel so fluttery inside.

            They allowed me to choose the first song and I went for It’s You. That is my favorite song by Super Junior. I saw Kyuhyun grin and he approved of my first choice. Jessica groaned. “Way to be loyal, Hyunnie.”

            The song went off fabulously. Then Kyuhyun picked a really slow ballad, Hope is A Dream That Never Sleeps. At first we all tried to sing along, but after a while, we just stopped and stared at him. He sang with passion and hearing the tremors in his voice made me shiver with delight. Feeling the soft breath across my arm, I felt goosebumps form. Why was he so amazing? The other members were all silent. When he finished, he looked around, confused.

            “Ya, what type of competition is this when nobody is singing?” he demanded. To break the tension, Sunny then decided for us to sing Hoot.

            Kyuhyun’s mouth dropped open. “I can’t sing that high. Seohyunnie, I choose you! To represent us, keke. Go make your oppa proud.” I laughed and started to sing along. After thi warming up, the competition really started.

            Songs were chosen for their musical difficulties and rhythmic techniques. The two of us paired well, only finding competition with Tiffany and Taeyeon. Once when I was singing a particularly fast song, Kyuhyun cut in and helped me rap.

            When we finished, Sunny clapped. “Ahh, you two, I love it. You guys are so adorable together.” I hid my face. Why must they be so obvious about their approval? I peeked up shyly to see Kyuhyun laughing, completely at ease. He wasn’t upset at all. In fact, the grip he had around my shoulders only tightened. I felt my heart constrict as well. Could I have a chance?

            There was a loud slap as heels hit the ground. I looked up to see Yoona staring at us. “It’s not fair. The team supreme should be challenged. Come on, I challenge you guys to a dance off.”

            Kyuhyun shrugged. “Why not. You think I can’t dance? Psh, sweetie, I’m one of SJ’s lead dancers now too.” He looked down at me. “No worries, I’m sure I can beat Yoona and Hyoyeon. You girls have a challenge.”

Y POV

            I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t stand to watch them any longer. Since when was he so sweet and caring? Goodness. So I called attention to myself. I knew my strength was dancing and so I challenged Kyuhyun to a dance battle. “It’s not fair. The team supreme should be challenged. Come on, I challenge you guys to a dance off.”

            He gave me that smoldering look of his and shrugged arrogantly. “Why not. You think I can’t dance? Psh, sweetie, I’m one of SJ’s lead dancers now too. No worries, I’m sure I can beat Yoona and Hyoyeon. You girls have a challenge.”

            Hyoyeon went ahead with a powerful popping dance. Her motions were methodical and robotic, very big on technique. I knew that in order to impress, I had to do smoother motions. When it was my turn, I chose a slower, more romantic music and started to dance. I poured my heart into the dance. I pulled Kyuhyun onto the dance floor and used him as a prop.

            That was dangerous. Our close proximity made me dizzy. I slid an arm down his arm and twisted myself so that I just barely touched him. He stood there, not cooperating, but I imagined that he was reacting. I imagined that I could see his heart beat faster. Cho Kyuhyun, I thought as I ended with a twirl, you don’t know how much I love you.

            The music ended and Kyuhyun smiled. “My turn!” He started off with a happy version of No Other. He did his finger dance before stopping and changing the song to A Man in Love. I grinned, anticipating what he was going to do. He fast-forwarded until he reached his part. Spreading his legs a bit, he did the famous Kyuhyun leg dance.

            Oh my gosh. I couldn’t keep my eyes off his adorable pelvic s and the sight of his long legs made me really crazy. Ya, Im Yoona! Stop being like a boy. But I couldn’t help it. Kyuhyun is really that amazing.

 

 A Man In Love- Kyu's Dance  NO LIE, IT'S THE HOTTEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN ♥ Keke, Kyuhyun you're good at making girls swoon :D