Chapter 19 - Obstacle Course

Caught In Between

 

Y POV

            My heart skipped a few painful beats when I woke up in the morning and realized what day it was. Today was our last day of filming for the drama. I sighed and felt a sudden sadness come over me. For weeks, I’ve been dreading this day. And for the past few days, I forced myself to focus on SMTown and it lulled me into a sense of denial.

            But now, the day has come and I could not fool myself any longer. Soon we would go back to our different spectrums and be absorbed by our own schedules, meeting only when our groups had collaborations. He would forget about me while I would always be thinking of him.

            Seohyun popped her head in and she tried to smile optimistically. “Come on, unni! We’re going to be wrapping up our filming. You have one heck of a powerful ending.” She held out her hand and I took it, knowing that it would be stupid to alienate my member over a boy.

            I studied the script studiously and couldn’t help but let my jealousy grow. In the end, he ends up with her. He sacrifices himself to be with her. The story line had changed. MinWon doesn’t kill Hyohee. Rather he forces her to watch as he consumes poison, with YooSoung’s name dying on his lips. It was the ultimate blow and Kyuhyun had come up with it.

            The other day he had gone to the scriptwriters, asking for this change, saying that it would make things so much more “dramatic.” And they had agreed. So now I was forced to watch him kill himself over another girl.

            When we got to the set, he approached Seohyun and smiled at her broadly. “My dear, you should thank me. Today is the one and only rare day you will ever see Cho Kyuhyun kill himself over a girl.”

            She giggled and shook her head. “It’s only because Hyohee is horrible. If it were Yoona-unni, I would smack you for killing yourself and depriving yourself of her awesomeness.”

            I stared at her, slightly agape. I thought she liked Kyuhyun. Seohyun winked at the two of us and left to change. Things turned awkward then. He shifted and finally bid adieu as he too went to change.

            I stared at the back of Seohyun’s head and wondered just what was going on in our little maknae’s mind.

K POV

            There was a ripple in the air next to me and I looked to my left. A figure was beginning to form and I realized that it was YooSoung. She was smiling serenely and I felt an ache deep in the chambers of my heart.

            “MinWon,” she whispered. I held out a hand but it went through her. “I came here to warn you.” Her expression turned serious. “I came to warn you about Hyohee. Be careful of who she is. You didn’t know but before there were humans, there were witches. But something happened and we divided into two parts, the good and the bad. Hyohee is part of the wicked coven. She’s out to wreak havoc and you may fall into her trap.”

            I stared at her. “She killed me. She told me that the only condition she would ever go out with you was if she took my soul. I was the one that unbalanced the two sides. For the longest time, the good witches and the wicked ones were equal. But I turned the equation around and she wanted to even things out again.

            “I gave myself up for you, MinWon. I’ve always loved you and wanted to see if you could try and love me. But you never did. I knew that if you didn’t have Hyohee you wouldn’t want anyone, so I had no choice. I disgraced my coven but I’m here to warn you. Beware of Hyohee.”

            I woke up with a start and found myself in my bed, drenched with sweat. The dream had seemed so real and I wondered if it were true. There was only one way to find out. I swung out of bed and pulled on clothes. I biked over to Hyohee’s house and rang her bell.

            She opened the door immediately, and I knew she wasn’t sleeping. “MinWon?” she seemed surprised to see me.

            “I have a few questions for you.” I was blunt and to the point. She led me in and I turned to face her. “Is it true that you forced YooSoung to give up her soul just to accept me?”

            She looked shocked and I knew I had her. “Where did you hear of this?” She didn’t even try to deny it.

            I grabbed her shirt. “Why?” I shouted in her face. “What makes you think that you had to kill somebody to accept me? I would have gladly never have gotten you!”

            She shrugged, and her face lit up cruelly. “Well, I just needed her gone.” I let her go with disgust and truly saw what had happened.

            I had been blind. Blind to the girl who had been devoted to me and shoved her love at me unconditionally. And inevitably, it was my fault that she was dead. I crumpled on the floor and took out the pulls I always carried with me. I shoved them into my mtouh, counting the seconds for when I can finally be with her again.

            Hyohee tried to stop me but I pushed her away. Soon, my movements became weak and my vision slowly turned hazy. As Hyohee pounded my back, I closed my eyes and said goodbye and sorry to the world.

            “That’s a wrap! Good job guys. This has been a great drama and it’ll start airing next week. Tomorrow is our cast party. Remember to be there!” The director clapped his hands and we all high fived one another.

            I walked over to my corner and stared at the bouquet of flowers I had hidden underneath my blazer. My palms began to sweat as I tried to find the perfect way to ask her. Then, I saw one of the minor actors, Joon, approach Yoona and he said, “Yoona, will you go to the cast party with me?”

            I glared at my friend. What in the world was he doing? Yoona beamed shyly and nodded her head. I scowled and grabbed my flowers and ran to Seohyun. Then, loudly, in front of everyone, I said, “Seohyunnie, will you go to the cast party with your oppa?”

            She blushed and nodded. I gave her the flowers and hugged her. I avoided Yoona’s gaze.

S POV

            The next day, Hyoyeon grabbed the two of us in front of the television and pointed. “Look! They’re airing a live interview with Kyuhyun-shi.”

            Yoona and I sat down and we heard the name of our drama come up. “So, Kyuhyun, you worked with two members of Girl’s Generation on your drama. They’re both known to be talented. But who did you like working with better? Don’t worry about any scandals. We’ll vouch for you.” The MC winked.

            Yoona leaned forward and I suddenly felt nervous. Just hurry up and answer, I begged.

            “Well, Yoona obviously has been in many dramas before so one can say that she’s the more experienced. But I liked working with Seohyun. She’s a great dongsaeng and a great partner. We really had excellent chemistry and I liked practicing my lines with her. In fact, I plan on taking her to our cast party.”

            The audience oohed and so did the rest of our members. They congratulated me and gave me rasied eyebrow winks but I felt completely awful. The only one who seemed to be unhappy was of course Yoona. She sat, huddled on the couch, and was staring at the screen with what I hoped wasn’t tears. 

 

The new album is amazing.

I've been working hard for this mass update~

I love y, Free and Single. Gulliver and Daydream are fantastic.