o6. Because

The Model

 

Kibum stepped into the building, immediately embraced by warmth. Rubbing his arms to adjust to the sharp temperature change, he bowed slightly in a greeting to the people who had passed, hurrying back and forth from the receptionist table to the other side of the room, where two sets of stairs and elevators were. “Annyeonghaseyo, how can I help you today?” the receptionist said, cheerfully, as Kibum headed towards her desk.

“Um...may I ask where Kim Jonghyun’s office is?”

The woman adverted her gaze to her computer, quickly typing something on the keyboard. “His office is on the third floor, fourth door on your left,” she replied, smiling back at Kibum.

Kibum bowed once more, thanking her, then headed up to the told floor in the elevator. He greeted a few other males his age as they passed and also said hello to a beaming girl, who he supposed was an intern. “Are you looking for Kim Jonghyun?” she asked him.

Surprised she knew about what he was doing, Kibum nodded. “He told me was going to the president’s office,” she explained. “It’s one more floor up.”

“Oh, thank you so much,” Kibum replied, smiling.

“You’re welcome.” She glanced at Kibum’s attire and then scanned his face. “Are you a model?”

“I am, in fact. How come you ask?”

“Oh, nothing,” she replied, tossing a lock of straight ebony hair over her shoulder. She adjusted the folders in her arms and then blinked up at him. “See you around~” she chirped, and then strode past him, heading down the hall.

Okay....? Kibum just shrugged it off and then decided to take the stairs instead since it wouldn’t take long. He reached the top of the staircase, sighing as he took in his surroundings. It was an empty hallway, lit with small lamps, and had brown couches and chairs along the wall. As he slowly stepped down the hall, his footsteps echoed eerily.

He approached the large door that he guessed led into the president’s office. He wondered if he should’ve waited at Jonghyun’s office, or if he should stay there to wait. Kibum settled on waiting at the door. Sighing, he glanced back at the door, as if it would suddenly open on its own to reveal his boyfriend, standing there waiting for him.

You and your fantasies, Kim Kibum, he thought to himself.

His thoughts were interrupted by a loud shout, that startled him. Kibum’s head snapped up, facing towards where the yell had come from, which was the office. Curiously, he stepped closer to the door, wondering what was wrong.

“....Kim, your job was to bring him in by the end of next week. You haven’t even spoken to him about it at all?”

Jonghyun’s timid voice was heard after the president’s gruff statement. “I-I think...it’d be too sudden, President Park. Couldn’t I have the deadline by the beginning of next month?” he asked.

“Absolutely not. We are aiming to beat SM by having only the best models and photographers at the next expo. With the money prize, we can have a new addition to the studio, give all the staff, photographers, and models a raise, and expand our agency overseas; we can go so far with little things, Jonghyun.”

Wait...who were they talking about? They were trying to get a model into their company? Kibum frowned, wondering how that one person could be so important.

There was a pause. Kibum heard shuffling of papers and clicking of a keyboard, then the voice continued.

“He’s the best amateur model right now. With his popularity, more and more models and photographers will want to join our company; which is what we desperately need right now, no?”

“Y-yes...President Park...”

“Good. Now bring me Kim Kibum by the end of this week, and you will get a 980 million won raise*.”

Another pause ensued.

“I know you want the money, Kim. You better succeed this time.”

Kibum’s eyes widened. M-me? But...there could be so many models with the name Kim Kibum...was this really about him? The door suddenly opened, and Kibum met the eyes of Jonghyun.

“K-Key..? What are you doing here?” Jonghyun stammered, as soon as he saw Kibum’s thin figure standing before him.

“I just wanted to see you, Jjong,” Kibum replied, trying to stop himself from stuttering. He attempted to seem as cool as possible, as if he did not hear anything.

“Oh...” Jonghyun said, trailing off. “How long have you been here?”

“Not that long. I just got here and you opened the door,” Kibum lied, shifting his weight awkwardly.

Kibum saw Jonghyun’s shoulders fall in relief. Kibum only ignored it and then took Jonghyun’s hand. “Yah, now that I’m here, let’s go out to get some coffee, neh?” Kibum suggested.

“...Okay, that’s fine; I was going to leave anyway,” Jonghyun replied, smiling slightly.

Kibum felt uneasy. Should he had not lied, and told Jonghyun he had heard everything? Shaking the thought off, he decided he would talk to his boyfriend later.

--

meh. short but le’important chapter. - u - hope you liked eet. was it.....er, more interesting? like i had promised in the last chapter? OTL sorry if it wasn’t. .___.