o4. Sympathy

The Model

 

Jonghyun placed an envelope on the desk, and took a sharp breath, as the man in the dark suit reached forward to pick up the envelope. Pulling out a sheaf of bills, the man shook his head. He counted the money, and then coughed when he finished. “I gave you at least 300,000 won. Why didn’t you spend it all?” the man said.

“H-he didn’t want anything else, sir..” Jonghyun said, his voice trembling. The man sighed, putting the rest of the money back into the envelope. “I’m counting on you, Kim. If you don’t managed to persuade him by–”

“I understand, President Park. I’ll do my best.”

The man leaned back into his chair again and slid the envelope across the table to Jonghyun. “There’s not a lot of time left.”

--

Kibum swung his leg over the side of the bed, leaning his head back into the pillow. A camera snapped and Kibum tilted his head, bringing a hand up to his hair, entangling his thin fingers into his dark blonde hair. “That should be good for now. You can take a break, Kibum-ssi. Fifteen minutes,” said the director. Kibum sat up in the bed, fixing his hair. He was in the middle of a shoot for Nylon, and the director was lenient with Kibum, knowing the young model had a busy week ahead.

It had been approximately six days and seventeen hours since Minho and Kibum had last spoken to each other, and five days and eleven hours since their argument. It made Kibum guilty every time he thought about it, and it gave him a migraine whenever he tried to think of a way to apologize. He shook his head and stood up, adjusting his shirt, which revealed his collarbone quite well.

“You okay, Kibum? You look sick.”

Kibum glanced up at Mir, his manager’s assistant. He was holding a glass of ice water, that looked like it was going to slip out of his hand because of the condensation. In his other hand, he was carrying Kibum’s phone. “Someone texted you,” Mir said, “and drink this; it has some lemon, and it’s quite refreshing, as what Hyoyeon told me. Although, she could just be saying that just because...”

Kibum chuckled. Mir often was very conscious about what other people thought of what he did or said. He even told Kibum that he almost skipped the interview because he lost confidence in himself right before it. Mir was very organized though, but the company thought it would be better if he just started out as an assistant before he worked with a model on his own. So far, Mir was doing quite well, in contrast to his first months, when he kept freaking out because he was afraid he’d forget things and mess up.

Kibum took the cup from Mir with both hands and sipped the water. “It tastes fine, Mir-ssi. Thank you.”

Mir’s eyes lit up. “Really? Oh, whew..”

Kibum took his phone also, and turned it on. The screen showed an unread message from Jonghyun. ‘how are you? heard you had a shoot today. i’m sure you did more than amazing<3 Jjong’. Kibum smiled at the text, and then Mir cleared his throat. “By the way, Woohyun has your next set clothes ready,” the assistant said, bobbing his head, then hurrying to the set.

A hour later, Kibum left the studio and got in his manager’s car. “Tired? You should rest for tomorrow,” his manager told him.

“Can you drop me off at Jonghyun’s place?” Kibum asked. His manager frowned at him. “That one photographer that you keep talking about?”

Kibum nodded. “Please??” he begged. His manager just sighed and said, “Aish, fine. Do you need me to drive you home after?”

“No, that’s okay; I’m going to stay for the night.”

“Alright...whatever happened to that Minho friend of yours? Didn’t you usually help him out with those projects he has?”

Kibum immediately became uncomfortable. “...We sort of got into a fight,” Kibum confessed, quietly.

“Oh.” His manager didn’t say anything else and then began driving. The ride was silent, except for the time when someone at the crosswalk came out of nowhere and they had almost hit him, so his manager muttered “what the hell” under his breath. They reached Jonghyun’s house and his manager parked in front of the large house, not shutting off the car engine. “Be safe, Kibum, and don’t sleep too late because you have that commercial interview tomorrow,” he told the model. Kibum smiled and nodded. “I will. Thanks for driving me.” He bowed, and the manager nodded. Kibum closed the car door and headed up the steps to the house. 

Pressing the doorbell, the door opened almost immediately. “Annyeonghaseyo, may I ask who you are?” said a sweet voice, obviously not Jonghyun. Kibum saw a pretty girl at the door, her long hair flowing down her shoulders. “I’m...Jonghyun’s boyfriend, Kim Kibum,” Kibum answered.

“Oh!” The girl turned around and called behind her, “JONGHYUUUUUN. YOUR PRINCESS IS HERE.” There was a tinge of mockery when she said ‘princess’, and immediately Kibum frowned. Jonghyun appeared behind her, wearing a leather jacket, plain black t-shirt, and blue skinny jeans. “Aish, you’re so loud, Krys,” he said, flicking the girl’s forehead with his finger. The girl flinched. “Ow! Oppa, you’re so mean!” she whined.

“Yah, go out with Jessica and Hara, neh? I’m going to be busy later and I need privacy,” Jonghyun told the girl. She grumbled and reluctantly walked off. Jonghyun sighed, and turned back to Kibum. “Hey, baby,” he said, grinning. “Sorry about that.”

“I-it’s okay,” Kibum said. “...who is she?” He blushed after he realized he blurted it out, and then Jonghyun chuckled. “That was Krystal, one of my–ahem–many siblings,” Jonghyun replied. “Come in.”

Kibum stepped inside, and holy , the house was even bigger on the inside. The walls were painted in a light shade of beige, white, and crimson red, and the tile floors were cool through Kibum’s thin socks. There was a large chandelier hanging over his head from the high ceiling. “It’s really nice here,” Kibum said, his voice sounding small and echoey in the large hallway. “Ah, that’s right, you haven’t come here before, except that one time you came to drop off that sweatshirt,” Jonghyun replied. “Both of my parents are out for some vacation of some sort..and my sisters should be heading out soon for shopping. Donghae and  are out......bowling, I think? So it’ll just be us.”

Kibum was surprised. “How many brothers and sisters do you have?”

“I have five siblings. I’m the third child. Krys is the youngest, and Donghae is the oldest.” Jonghyun shrugged. “My mom had decided she wanted a lot of children when she got married.”

“It must be nice having a big family,” Kibum said. 

“Eh..it can get pretty loud when everyone’s home, and besides, Hara and Myungsoo always are arguing about who gets the last banana milk.”

Kibum smiled as they passed the family portraits lined on the walls. Jonghyun was tiny in the pictures, but yet he still had that mischievous, crooked smile on his face in each one. “But still...you always have someone to talk to,” Kibum said, glancing at Jonghyun.

“I guess you could say that. What about your family?”

Kibum was silent for a moment, and Jonghyun frowned. “Oh, if you don’t want to ta–”

“No...it’s fine. It’s just..my parents got divorced when I was thirteen. My younger sister was sent to America to live with my aunt, and I stayed in Daegu with my grandmother. My dad...we hardly speak, but my mom stays in contact with my sister and I.”

It was an awkward silence, but Jonghyun finally said, “I’m sorry.”

Kibum sighed. “Again, it’s fine.”

Jonghyun led Kibum upstairs, and again, Kibum was awed by the white, marble, spiral staircase. Jonghyun smiled at the younger boy’s expressions, and took Kibum’s hand, immediately causing the model’s cheeks to turn a light shade of pink. The stairs that seemed to have never ended finally came to a stop. “Wow, you must have to walk a lot to come up..” Kibum said, quietly.

Jonghyun bobbed his head, grinning. “I get so much exercise from just wanting to go sleep,” Jonghyun sang. Kibum noted that Jonghyun had a surprisingly amazing voice, and deeply wished the older boy would one day–one day, sing him to sleep. Jonghyun then flexed his arm, trying to show off, and made Kibum giggle. Jonghyun beamed. “Ah, your smile is adorable...”

Again, Kibum blushed, and Jonghyun pecked Kibum’s cheek. The photographer led the model down a maze of hallways, and stopped in front of a door with a dark handle. “My room~” Jonghyun said, still with his sing-song tinge to his voice. Pushing the door open, it revealed a room flooded with afternoon light. Framed black and white photographs of mountains, lakes, and beaches were hung on the white walls of the room, and hanging over the frames were string, with polaroids hung from it by clothespins. Kibum thought that was the most adorable thing ever. Kibum turned, facing the side of the room, and placed against the middle of the wall, was a large bed, with dark blue sheets draping over the mattress. To the right of the bed was a sliding glass door that let all the bright light into the airy room. On the opposite side of the bed was a desk lined with colored books and a couple cameras on the desktop. A laptop sat beside the largest camera; open, but the screen was blank. A tripod was propped up beside the desk, another one of his many cameras already set up with it. A bookshelf was placed at the corner of room, near the desk, and beside it was a dresser.

Kibum stepped to the glass door, and looked outside, seeing lush green grass of the backyard, with a pond with some fish swimming idly around in circles. There were small trees lined up against the vine-covered, white post fences. “Aish, this place is gorgeous; I’m jealous,” Kibum sighed.

Jonghyun wrapped his arms around Kibum’s waist, leaning his chin on Kibum’s shoulder. “Not as gorgeous as you,” the older male whispered into the model’s ear, his warm breath tickling his neck.

Kibum smiled slightly, and then stepped away from the window, Jonghyun’s lock around his thin waist gone. Kibum walked around a bit more, picking up a book from the bookshelf when he approached it. He heard a snap behind him and he turned around quickly, seeing Jonghyun holding one of his cameras, the lens aimed at him. Jonghyun grinned mischievously. “I wanted to try my new camera out for the first time, and I think it works,” he said.

“No duh,” Kibum replied.

Jonghyun put the camera down and said loudly, “Yah! Don’t talk to me like that!” Kibum giggled and set the book down, singing, “Sorry, dinosaur~” Jonghyun wrinkled his nose. “Yah! Don’t call me names either!”

He put the camera down and chased Kibum around the room, and eventually Kibum came to a stop, but Jonghyun grabbed his wrists and pinned the younger boy down on the bed. “Don’t mess with me, you little cat,” Jonghyun said.

Jonghyun leaned in and pressed a chaste kiss against Kibum’s lips. It was sweet and soft, no teeth or tongue, and then Jonghyun moved down to Kibum’s jawline, kissing the skin softly. Jonghyun’s hand held Kibum’s waist gently, and the other was entangled in Kibum’s blonde hair. Jonghyun smiled when he lifted his head to see Kibum’s cheeks red. “You’re so adorable.” The photographer’s curious hands slid the hem of his shirt up slightly, revealing the model’s pale skin. Using his thumb to rub circles on Kibum’s hip, Jonghyun kissed Kibum again, a little more forcefully now.

Finally, Jonghyun’s lips left Kibum’s and then Jonghyun whispered into Kibum’s ear, “You’re mine.” Jonghyun’s voice was intoxicating, and it was even more hypnotizing when Jonghyun started to hum a song Kibum was unfamiliar with.

“I know.”

--

Minho sighed, throwing his wet brush down on the table where he kept his supplies. He didn’t care if there was paint on his desk; he always set up his palette there so it got messy anyway. The red headed boy at the stool at the opposite of his own seat winced as the wood clattered onto the surface of the table. “S-should..I go, hyung?” the boy asked.

“No, don’t go. I have one more set of sketches and then you could go,” Minho told the redhead. The redhead, whose name was Lee Taemin, bobbed his head, adjusting his sweater, which bore an American flag pattern; a few white stars against dark navy blue and scarlet red material. He also wore acid-washed skinny jeans with some rips in the knees and thigh area. It looked good, but Kibum would probably sport the outfit much better. Then Minho wanted to slap himself, but he remembered his hands were still covered in some paint. He shouldn’t be thinking about Kibum now; he was mad at him anyway. Minho had only told his friend Jinki about the incident with Kibum, and Jinki had sworn not to tell anyone. Once Minho had finished with his rant, Jinki frowned and then asked, “If you’re going to stay away from Kibum, won’t you need a new model for your school projects?” So that’s when Taemin came into the picture.

Taemin was a sweet boy; a senior in highschool. He had told Minho he wanted to major in dancing, but instead decided to model instead. This, again, reminded him of Kibum. Minho had regretted calling the boy up as soon as he realized Taemin was like a copy of the boy he loved. Ah... it, I have to turn in these projects anyway, Minho had concluded when he had thought of it.

Even though Kibum had a cute side to him, Taemin was loaded with aegyo. Every time Taemin called, he answered with a chirp of, “Hi, Minho-hyung! Do you need any help?” Minho could imagine Taemin radiating with such a happy aura; bright light literally glowing around him whenever he walked by or even spoke a word. Taemin seemed to be popular, because once, Minho had called Taemin, forgetting the boy still was in school, and a girl had answered instead. “Hello, Taemin?” he said into the phone. There was no answer for a moment, but then giggling erupted, along with someone in the background trying to shush everyone. “Who is Minho? With a heart?” one voice asked, muffled in the back, but it was still audible. Minho sighed. “Excuse me, whoever this is, could I please talk to Taemin now?” he said, now annoyed.

“Yah, first tell us who you are, Minho-with-a-heart,” said a squeaky voice.

“Someone who needs Taemin’s help right now. May I please speak to Taemin?” Minho said, his voice now more firm.

“Ooh, is Minho-with-a-heart ?” asked a voice. Immediate giggles was heard then.

Minho grumbled. He was about to say something when a loud voice cut in. “Hey! Give me that thing,” ordered the voice.

“Aniya, Jinri-sunbae, this is mine...” said a soft voice.

“I’m sure your name isn’t Lee Taemin; the last time I checked, it was Lee Soon Kyu,” scoffed the other person. Minho heard rustling and an ‘aw’.

Half a minute later, a voice returned to the phone speakers, and it was the person who had told the other girl to give the phone. “Sorry about that...er...Minho, or whoever you are. I’ll get you to Taemin right now.”

There were echoed footsteps and then Minho asked, “Wait, who are you?”

“Choi Jinri, or Sulli. One of Taemin’s friends.” The girl, or Sulli, had a firm voice, that reminded him of his own mother’s. His mother was basically the head of the house, and Minho had no doubt that he could’ve been a doctor, with the strictness of his mother. Instead, Minho had chosen the path to become an artist, and his mother had reluctantly allowed him to (his older brother was a doctor, and she had wanted him to follow in his footsteps to become successful).

“Ah, here it is..” muttered Sulli, her voice still heard over the receiver. Minho heard a door creak open, faint pop music being played in the background. Sulli called out, “Taemin-ah! I got your phone, and someone needs to talk to you!”

Minho heard the background music abruptly stop, and then a breathless voice answered the phone, “Yebosayo?”

“Hey, Taemin,” Minho said.

“Hyung!” Minho could literally see Taemin’s blinding smile through the phone. “Ah, sorry about that...do you need any help tonight?”

“Neh, could you come at around five?”

“Of course!” Taemin answered. “I’m almost done with practice, and I can head over after showering.”

“Thanks, Taemin,” Minho said, “and sorry about interrupting your practice.”

“That’s alright. I was just going over some routines by myself, and Sulli was helping me,” Taemin replied. Taemin took a breath.

“May I ask why those girls had your phone?”

Taemin was silent for a moment, and then he giggled. “Oh, you mean the fangirls? That’s normal.”

Fangirls?” Minho repeated.

“Yes, fangirls. Some girls have some little group that are like, my personal cheerleaders, and they always manage to take my things. It’s irritating, but I got used to it,” Taemin said.

“Basically you’re being stalked by other students that are in love with you.”

“Yeah.”

“And you’re fine with that.”

“Yeah.”

“That’s a bit creepy,” Minho said.

“Yeah, but they’re freshmen and sophomores that are obsessed with k-pop and infatuated by other boys in the school. The worst thing they had taken were my underwear.”

“Underwear,” Minho repeated again. “That is so outrageous. Haven’t you told the school about it yet?”

“No, only because they’ll return the things anyway, and when they took my phone, I asked Sulli to get it for me because I forgot to tell my mom I was staying late after school. Anyway, I hope I’m not wasting your time...I’ll go now. Annyeong, hyung!”

Taemin was an honest kid, and he always felt guilty if he did something wrong. He was absolutely in love with banana milk, and had insisted it was a part of his diet. Lately, Taemin was preparing for an interview to enter college, and had also asked Minho to help him, in return for modeling for the artist. Minho had said yes, and somehow also became Taemin’s tutor for homework.

Minho took a large sketchbook out and put away the one that was just painted on. Minho flipped it open and Taemin immediately sat up. “How do I pose, hyung?” he asked, in a soft voice.

“Just sit on the ground, using the basketball as a prop,” Minho told him, pointing to the orange ball beside Taemin’s stool. Taemin nodded and got off the stool, sitting beside the basketball. He picked it up and then Minho immediately began sketching.

Ten minutes later, Minho announced, “I’m done.”

“Okay,” Taemin replied, in acknowledgement. He stood up and dusted his jeans off. “I should be going back home now; my mom said my grandfather just came in from Hokkaido. Bye, hyung, and good luck on the projects.”

Minho nodded, in thanks, and then watched the younger boy grab his backpack from the table near the doorway. The dancer disappeared from his view and Minho sighed, placing his pencil down. Ren slinked into the room, meowing loudly to get Minho’s attention. Minho’s hands clenched, at the thought of Kibum with Ren, and then called for Ren to come over. Ren obeyed, walking over with padded paws and hopped into Minho’s lap, curling up to sleep. As Minho scratched the back Ren’s ears, he sighed. 

Why does everything remind me of you, Kibum?

--

The JongKey was a filler....ish. I just wanted to introduce our new minor character....Lee Taemin! :D


lol what is he even doing.

hope you liked it! another update.....by next week, at the most. >< i'm busy, k. sorry guise. ; - ; SARANGHAEEEEE. <3

UPDATE 10-7-12: akjsdlkfjh i'm so sorry for not updating...my laptop won't let my flashdrive open so i couldn't post it. OTL. i'm trying to fix my laptop rn..so...i'm so sorry. please forgive me! ><