Midnight Soju

Flower Boy's Feelings

Juri's POV

"Aish, bull****, really? Ugh!" I muttered and hoisted the kid up on my back in a piggyback position. Oh goodness, he was HEAVY. Not to mention his limbs dragged so I wasn't doing a good job. I just had to get up those steps and open the back door and I'm in. 

I breathed and moved strenously up one step. My thigh muscles strained. He is so going to owe me, and I don't even know his name. Second step..almost there. I was actually sweating from this and it was freezing outside. 

BAM! Suddenly the door opened there stood agency's "apple" group. "Well, ****." My second time cussing in front of strangers, it probably doesn't do me a good impression. Before I could anyone could say anything, I tripped from the weight that was pulling me backwards and I crashed down on the guy I was carrying. I winced, this was bad. I'm sitting on a guy who just fainted on me.

The managers or the group, whomever, helped the guy I was sitting on up because he looked like he was in worse shape than I was. 

Not knowing what to do, I just sat there, feeling like a kid who was too tired to get up from playing. Someone handed me a card and whispered something I couldn't understand next to my ear. I kept sitting there..ughh.. and I have to bike all the way home with this sore back.

​"Hey chingu! Remember to come and audition, we liked your voice!" I turned and saw the tallest guy in the group wave at me. 

"You play the guitar beautifully, girl. Good luck getting in!" One of the guys holding a guitar case also yelled back. Wait..where they talking about me? I looked down at the card in my hand. HOLY.. I just got asked to a closed audition at Startory Entertainment. 

"YEAAAAAAH," I yelled, not caring if people were looking at me as I ran to my bike and pedaled off, totally forgetting about my backpack. 


Minhyuk's POV 

I felt drowsy and my back hurt. I was back in the dressing room again.. Huh.. maybe meeting Seohyun was nothing but a bad dream. I opened my eyes and felt something damp on my head. 

"Minhyuk! Are you alright now?" Jungshin, was staring at me concernedly. In the corner of my eye I saw Yonghwa. My heart skipped a beat... Maybe it was a dream after all. I still don't get why I felt jealous of Seohyun.. huh.. I must be having a male PMS or something of sorts. 

I heard Yong laugh again.. his laughter was really nice..and then I heard a peal of female laughter. I turned my head... It wasn't a dream. I need to get out of here.. I can't stand them being cute.. 

What was I thinking? Yong is my hyung and I should be happy that he has finally found someone to be happy with together. 

Jonghyun stopped me as I was going to get up. "No..hyung I've got to go." When I got up, the backpack that was on my lap fell down. Wait...why do I have two backpacks that are alike? I thought of that female voice yelling in my ear. 

"AIISHH." Such a troublesome night.. I felt so stressed and tears began to form again. Just then at that moment, a pretty girl with a pissy face entered and grabbed the backpack on the floor. 

"Watch what you take kid!" She stomped hurriedly out. What was her problem? I followed her and at that moment, without anyone besides her around, I started crying.

"Whoa! Hey, are you okay? I didn't mean to upset you or anything like that..." She grabbed my shoulders and shook me. By that time I started crying..hard. It was the sort of crying when my first love broke up with me.. And I instinctively hugged her in an embrace. 


Juri's POV

The guy started crying really hard. I felt bad for him.. maybe his girlfriend broke up with him? I remember stomping in the door and saw him looking at a girl who was talking to his bandmate. Must be the reason. 

Then he reached down and hugged me. I hugged him back, no one had ever hugged me like this. I felt like this kid's noona.. It took him about ten minutes to stop sobbing and let go of me.

"Sorry..I'm so sorry, noona!" He bowed and began to walk away. 

"No! It's fine.. You look like you need something to drink. Maybe soju?" I grabbed his arm and pulled him back. 

"But I'm underage..." He looked concerned. He had the look of a gentle goodie goodie boy. 

"So, who cares? Come on.. if you go home like that, I'll be blamed for your death if you walk in the middle of the street and get hit by a driver," I dragged Minhyuk to the nearest streetside soju shop. "Can you please give us two bottles of soju?" I asked the ahjumma on the counter. She eyed me suspiciously.

"Girl, how old are you? The kid with you looks underage, and so do you." 

"Awh come on! I'm his big sister.. Can't you see the resemblance? I'm 22. Do you need my college card? His girlfriend just broke up with him so he really needs --" A big hand clapped over my mouth. 

"Ahjumma it's alright!" But the lady was already starting to bring two bottles of soju out on a tray. We got seated and he glared at me through his puffy eyes.

"You should stop glaring you know, your eyes are already puffy as they were. By the way I'm Nam Juri, what's your name, kid?" I began to fill his cup with soju and did the same with mine.

"Stop calling me kid. I already had a bad day, I don't need anymore of your charity, Miss Juri. Who gave you permission to tell everyone that my love life is out of order?" he kept on sulking and gulped down the soju. 

"Well if you weren't such a baby, I wouldn't call you a kid, would I? Now, kid, if you didn't call me "noona" earlier or if you had told me your name already, I wouldn't be saying it, would I?" I smiled and drank some more. Ahh..soju really does taste good on a cold winter night. Wait.. it was night. Crap, what if I have trouble getting home? And I'm here drinking some midnight soju with a kid who won't even tell me his name.

I stood up abruptly. "I've got to go! I didn't realize how late it was..." He grabbed my hand. 

"Wait! No! Don't go.. I mean.. I just can't..hold it in any longer," the poor guy looked like he was going to cry again. Slowly I sat down and removed his grasp gently.

"Well... do you need someone to talk to?"

 "I can't tell anyone! Don't you know who I am? If you didn't know, you wouldn't have asked me out for soju for me to spill out my secrets! Stop pretending you don't know my name. Of course you know it's Minhyuk. Lately who doesnt? " I rolled my eyes. The pouty kid thinks that I know him. Like I have time to pay attention to local indie bands.. I focus on big bands in the industry..from America, Europe.. 

"Hey.. Minhyuk-ah, I don't have time to pay attention to small, local indie bands. If you need a companion to talk to, then talk to me. I'm not paparrazzi, nor a famous singer. I'm just a junior in high school who, like you, performs at gigs secretly at night hoping to gain fame," After I said that, he loosened up a bit and drank some more soju.

"Seriously.. you're only 16? THEN YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO CALL ME KID!" he shouted angrily, then he shook his head again. "I'm sorry, I'm just..really out of it today." 

"Sorry.. I didn't know. You had such a baby face! Oh I know! Instead of calling you kid, I'll call you flower boy. You look like one of those baby-faced guys in mangas I read. Well, flower boy, continue please."

He sort of scowled at my nickname, but ended up covering his face with his hands. 

"There's this guy, he's my hyung, my bandmate, and he -- "

"OH I KNOW," it clicked within me.. "Minhyuk-ah! You're gay and you're denying it aren't you?"

He slammed the table with his fists and my soju glass spilled all over me.