Screw the Readers!

Screw the Readers!

Chapter 6: Part 1: I am what?!?!

It’s been a long day. Jinah thought as she crashed onto her bed. But a productive day. Her lips pressed into a satisfied smile.
 

After Kikwang dropped her off, she immediately ran back to her room. She had to type up a new chapter before all the details and gushy feelings fade away. Yup, that’s why she didn’t have time to argue with that “short beast.” Plus, now that she knows he works with Minhee, it wasn’t that hard if she wants to see him again.
 

Jinah rolled over on her bed and reached for her clock. 10:30 Aww… She wasn’t in the mood to shower. Her legs were sore and she just wanted to sleep the night away. She repositioned her body until her face was submerged into her pillow and her tummy was lying flat; slowly, she drifted into dreamland.
 

Naega jeil jallaga je-je-jeil jallag | I’m the very best, ve-ve-ery best
Bam ratata tatatatata
Bam ratata tatatatata

 

Jinah groaned, but didn’t budge. She let that thing ring.
 

Naega jeil jallaga je-je-jeil jallag | I’m the very best, ve-ve-ery best
Bam ratata tatatatata
Bam ratata tatatatata


Omg. Jinah reached for her phone, “yeoboseyo?” She greeted, half-pissed.
 

“Jinah~” Her mother’s voice was coated with sugar. Something wasn’t right.


“What is it umma?” Jinah rolled onto her back. Why do you always call when I am sleepy?... -__-;
 

Her mother announced, “I have something very important to tell you.”


“Neh.” Everything is important to you.


Her mom was having a hard time spilling whatever she had to say out, because she kept starting a sentence then pausing.


“Umma,” Jinah yawned, “I am sleepy.”
 

No response. The line went dead for a couple of minutes.
 

And the very next thing she heard was, “Jinah, you’re engaged.”


For a second, Jinah thought she was dreaming. Or at least, she hoped she was dreaming.


“What…did you just say?” Jinah bit back her anger. She must have heard wrong.
 

“So… your dad and I have been looking into stuff. And you know how we always wanted to expand our company?”


“How does this relate to me?!” She spat out her words distastefully.  You guys know I don’t give a about that stuff.


“Ah, so… Jinah, remember the business trip? Well, it was actually to finalize a new contract with this other company. We haven’t told you about this, but the owners are actually very good friends of ours. Ah! And…we have been talking about this for the past year… we thought our children would be the perfect match. I would’ve set up on a blind date, but knowing you, you would have refused in a heartbeat. Plus, their son is studying overseas. So, we put that thought on hold. But recently, their son decided to move back to Korea and handle the business here! And, my lord,” Her mother was pleased. “He’s the one.” She sounds as if she was the one marrying, “Plus, if everything goes well, after you guys take over, our companies can merge into one! And everything will be merry and cherry.” Her mother chuckled nervously before summarizing, “You’re engaged, sweetie.”


Two minutes of silence.
 

“Horray?” Her mom added.


Jinah’s breath quickened. Her ears were bloody red and steam was fuming out her ears. Did her mother just say all that to her?


Oh. My. God. Jinah was at loss of words. Words can’t even begin to describe how pissed she is.
 

She sprang to an upright position, “Ahjumma, did you get the wrong number?” Oh boy, how she wish this wasn’t her mother that she was talking to.
 

“Sweetie.”


“Don’t you dare call me that!” Jinah screamed.
 

“WHAT CENTURY ARE WE IN?!” She kicked her legs like a child, “Omfg. What the is this?! An arranged marriage?! Are you ing serious, mom?! Are you ing serious?!” She shouted on the top of her lungs, “Have you and dad gone out of your minds. Tell me. What the is this?! Are you ing selling my happiness to make the business bigger? OKAY. that. I don’t even see how does me being engaged to a dickhole ing do any benefit here! How ing inconsiderate can you guys get?!”
 

She couldn’t take anymore of her parents’ stupidity. It’s the 21st century and they’re acting as if it’s still the early 1900s.
 

“Watch your mouth, young lady!” UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.


“You know what. Screw this. You marry him, okay? Cause I sure ain’t ing marrying some random douche bag.  Call me selfish for not thinking of the company. I don’t care.” Jinah’s eyes were b with tears. “Goodnight. And cut my allowance or just take me off the family register for all I care.”


She snapped the battery out of her phone and slammed it on the bed. (A/N: I just had to add the cliché cell phone scene here. LOL.)


this. She snuggled her face into the pillow as the angry tears spilled. She was definitely sleeping this off.


- - -

Jinah woke up with a swollen face and bloodshot eyes.
 

“Are you okay?” Minhee gasped when she saw a lifeless Jinah walking into the kitchen. It was a miracle she even left her room.


Jinah was still pissed needless to say. “No.”


Yejin, who was fully aware of the situation, patted her friend’s shoulder. “I’m sorry.”
 

Jinah faked a smile, “It’s not your fault. My parents are just stupid.”
 

Yejin nodded, “Uh...” She debated if it was the right time to say this. Then she noticed things were only going to get worse so she might as well take the chance. “Mrs. Park gave me an urgent call last night... and she gave me this.” Yejin handed Jinah a manila envelope, “She told me…it’s important.”


Jinah’s eyes became teary again. She couldn’t hide in denial even if she wanted to. Thanks, mom.
 

“Great.” Jinah snatched the package and stomped back into her room.


“What happened?” Minhee huddled closer to Yejin for an update.


Jinah broke out in tears again. She felt pathetic. For her whole life, she has gone her parents’ ways. Even after she moved out, she was fully aware that she was merely living a theater stage her parents have pieced together. She didn’t mind. She just wanted to be selfish for a little while. Do the things she likes, stumbled and ventured the world in her own wings… just for a little while. In the midst of her delusion, she was aware that one day she’ll have to take over the family duties. She knew she’ll have to despite how much she hated it. It was a reality she has been running away from. Honestly, she didn’t mind it too much. Sure, she complained and refused, but she knows she’ll do her best when that time comes around. But for one thing, she thought at the very least, she had control over her love life.


Minhee and Yejin were standing outside her room, pondering on how to comfort her. It was their first time seeing Jinah cry. And they were just as heartbroken as her.


“Jinah, ahh…”Minhee knocked on the door, “Do you want some bubble milk tea?”


Yejin added, “and cake?”


Her tears only fell harder. Jinah knew her friends love her and only want the best. But hearing them trying to comfort her only made her felt even more pitiful. Why must she live such a pathetic life? Was she overdramatizing everything?


The harsh hiccups cut her breath short and her tears run dry; her cries were those of the silent and most painful ones.

____

 

A/N: I might post part 2 of this chapter later tonight >__< only if I can finish writing up another chapter. D: Idk... I can't guarantee anything since I have pile of homework to do. /sniff