III.

Forbidden Love.

 

 

A whistle blew, resounding back and forth between the four walls of the vast gym. All of the students parted from their little circles of cliques, moving into the basketball teams they had been assigned to for the quarter. The gym teachers had done quite a good job in separating most friends from another, wanting the students to ‘get to know other people.’ Of course, this wasn’t the case. “Alright, Woo’s team against Jinki’s, get on the first court! Jinhyuk’s team verses Mir’s, on second court. The remaining two teams can either watch the games or practice on the side courts!” Jinki quickly raised his hand at the coach, getting a glare back from him. “What do you want, brat? Didn’t you hear what I said?”

“I did, coach, but… Taemin, he’s on Jinhyuk’s team, he’s not going to play?” Suddenly, everyone’s eyes glanced toward the boy in the corner, whose eyes had also been lifted from him. One of the students coughed sarcastically, causing a few giggles and snorts from the audience of students, all gathered up in the middle of the gym.

The coach cleared his throat, leaning in toward Jinki’s ear, his voice just barely sound enough for him to hear. “Listen, brat. Haven’t you noticed all throughout high school? Choi Taemin is too weak for gym class, plus, you couldn’t get that little princess to walk around the track field just once. Just leave him be.” And with another clearing of his mouth, the coach blew his whistle again. “Alright, everyone to your places!”

“But – !” Jinki sighed, as he was pulled along by his teammates to their court.

“Just leave him be, he’s in his own little world.”
“I hear he faints if he runs for five minutes.”

Jinki decided to drop it for now, grabbing the basketball that was handed to him. As the captain, he really didn’t have any choice but to play for now. With the blow of the familiar whistle, the ball was checked, the game on both Jinki’s court and the other starting. Basketball was the only sport Jinki had been particularly good at – actually, he excelled in it enough to have made it onto the school’s team. Although a lot of times he tripped on his own feet or nothing at all from his own klutziness he called !Jinkisangtae, basketball was also the only sport he enjoyed, that was, also along with eating. His hands held onto the ball with ease, his feet stepping and skipping across the gym’s squeaky, shin-ee floor almost, elegantly.

Yet, he felt almost nervous suddenly, feeling an extra set of eyes on him. As he jumped from the three-point line, his hand tilted a bit to the right, yet still making a perfect shot. He quickly joined with a couple of his teammates, high fiving them. From the corner of his eye, he met gazes with Taemin. His eyes were… blue, which was strange. Was he wearing contacts? Whatever the reason, Jinki shivered, only coming back to the game as a pat to his back was given by Mir as he passed by the court lines.

The game was easily won, 34 to 68. Jinki had made half of the shots, with his team cheering themselves on as they switched courts to play with the Jinhyuk’s team on the other court, whom had won. As Mir passed by, he whispered something with another pat. “Watch out for Hyuk, he’s pretty rough.” Jinki shrugged it off, not really concerned about winning, or losing for that matter. It was only gym class, after all. Not an actual school wide game.

“Alright, I think the game on the other court was pretty good guys, just keep it going.” With his encouragement, the team quickly parted, getting on offense or defense. He made it to the center, facing Jinhyuk, who was much taller than him. As they waited for the whistle, they made some strange competitive glare battle, only to be broken at sudden whispers behind them.

“What the hell?”
“Why is he coming toward this way?”

Jinki’s eyes stared up along with Jinhyuk’s, both of them seeing that Taemin – Taemin, indeed had gotten up, joining the Jinhyuk’s team on the offense. A couple of his teammates snorted and laughed, Jinhyuk himself getting a bit angry. “Hey, Ice Princess, get out of court, this isn’t your game.”

“I’m playing.” Everyone blinked at his sudden voice. To Jinki’s surprise, it was a little… lower in tone than he expected.

“No you’re not, you haven’t played all year long, and you’re not messing up my team’s winning streak.” Jinhyuk growled as the whistle blew, everyone suddenly grabbing at the ball. Jinki’s eyes were still on Taemin though, who seemed not too interested in playing the game indeed – as Jinki expected. What was he doing on the court anyway? From what he had heard from everyone, he was to frail and fragile to even walk around in the sunlight…

His thoughts were shattered when his own eyes, with everyone elses watched the little figure steal the ball from Jinhyuk, his own team member, quickly speeding down the court and easily destroying Jinki’s team defense, jumping from the floor to dunk – to dunk, yes dunk the ball into the basketball hoop. As Jinki’s jaw dropped with the rest of the students, Taemin only jumped back onto the ground, staring around.

“So, this basketball thing isn’t as hard as people claim it to be.”

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

“Did you hear? Fourth period, Ice Princess totally owned Jinki’s team in basketball!”
“What?! The Ice Princess, Choi Taemin?”
“Who else? I can’t believe it, who would have thought?”

The tall figure nervously roamed the halls, his shorter best friend, Jonghyun, by his side, walking to their next class. The chatter around school was usually no meaning to him… but with his little brother’s name on everyone’s lips, Minho himself was starting to get both nervous and annoyed at the same time. Jonghyun stuck close as Minho gave a couple of his signature smiles at some teachers and students that greeted him. “Is your lil’bro athletic? This crap going around school… I don’t know if I should believe it or not.” Jonghyun ended his sentence with a snort, winking at a couple of the pretty girls around the hall.

“Taemin is…” Minho scrunched up his eyebrows, sighing at his own best friend’s question. “He’d never do something like this though, he’s not… he doesn’t play sports with me.” Although his little brother was scrawny, Minho knew he was… unpredictable. Yet doing something as outrageous as this? He wasn’t too sure.

Arriving at Minho’s locker, Jonghyun leaned to against the wall, shrugging. “Well, if he is your brother, I’m sure he’s got that athletic gene somewhere in his DNA. The only reason it’s surprising is because the whole school knows he faints whenever he just walks around the hallways.”

“Let’s just… drop it, alright? I’ll see him in a little while anyway.” Minho grumbled, shoving things into his locker.

“You always say that, ignoring my questions… I am your best friend you know, you can tell me anything. I swe –” His friend’s voice trailed off for a moment, as Minho heard another pair of footsteps approaching. “Anyway, I’ll see you during Music Theory.” Quickly cutting off, Jonghyun grabbed his own backpack, disappearing off into the hallways, the bell ringing with his steps. Minho closed his locker, seeing a face he was delighted to see, a smile arising on his lips immediately.

Choi Minho, have you been ignoring my texts?” Kibum shot a grin onto his lips, leaning into the lockers, getting real close to him. Minho kept his smile still, watching his attractive features move around. Just the way he pronounced his name… he loved it all – he was simply head over heels for his hyung, Kim Kibum.

“No, no… My phone’s dead, I wanted to tell you, but… I couldn’t exactly reach you, with your little… gang around you all the time. Especially that Nicole…” His smile transformed into a sly grin, an arm brought up to lean against his own locker with him, also moving closer.

Kibum let out a quiet laugh, his eyes focused on his taller boyfriend’s. They were alone in the halls now, the late bell having rung, only with a couple of delinquents roaming the halls, yet avoiding in staring at the couple they were passing by. “You know that you could easily swerve my attention from even my friends – even Nicole, if you’d just… come by.” He wrapped an arm around the tall male’s waist, forcing them closer, their chests meeting. “I missed you, how dare you do such a terrible thing to my heart.”

“Hyung, it’s only been eleven hours since we last saw each other.” Now it was Minho laughing, a hand lifting to caress his boyfriend’s cheekbones. He couldn’t help but to admire the other… he was just so… perfect. He was adored by all sorts of students around the school... popular, talented, extremely gorgeous... he couldn't had helped not asking him out.

“It’s been eleven hours! Exactly! You haven’t called me, or given me a nice good morning text today even… I was worried. Then I hear all this fuss about your little bratty brother around school… I can’t help but worry.” Kibum’s lips now held a frown, both of his hands resting on his chest, staying wrapped up with him.

Minho’s smile fell at the mention of his brother also, quickly lifting it back up into a half-smile. “I’ve been fine, alive, breathing and well. I don’t know what’s going on with Taemin myself, I haven’t… seen him around.” He sighed, a little worried now himself.

Quickly noticing the drop in tone of his boyfriend’s voice, Kibum diverted the topic. Now with a sly grin on his lips, his fingers roamed up his chest, tugging slightly at his nicely done tie. “Since you’ve avoided me all day… I might as well punish you.” He gave a suggestive, mischievous gaze toward Minho, crashing their bodies even closer. Giving another tug at his tie, he pressed their lips together, starting a slow kiss. The kiss lingered for a moment before Minho parted from it, staring at the clock on the hallway’s wall.

“I got to get to class though…”

“Who says you have to?”

 

_______________________________________________

Authors Note: I'm sorry this story is developing so slowly! ;__;
I just want to give all the characters a full introductions and things...
I promise the storyline will pick up from chapter four or five though!
Bare with me a little more.