Moving and Memories

Unheard Melody, Oblivious Love

 

Kyuhyun carefully set the heavy cardboard box onto the wooden floor with a dull thud, gritting his teeth slightly. With his job finished, he dusted his hands off with a satisfied smirk before falling back onto the beige couch behind him.

“Yah! Cho Kyuhyun! Get your lazy bum up and help me with the door!”

Kyuhyun hardly reacted to the angry voice, not even bothering to turn his head to respond.

“But I’m tired…” he whined. “Get the door yourself…”

“CHO KYUHYUN! IF YOU DON’T COME HERE RIGHT NOW I’M GONNA—”

“Arasso, arasso,” Kyuhyun sighed dramatically, swinging his legs off the couch and onto the floor.  The corner of his mouth twitched with amusement as he took in the sight of his hyung who’d somehow managed to turn the doorknob with his knee, but was now stuck in the doorway with the door pushing against his back as he attempted to keep his grip on the box.

“Having some trouble, Yesung-hyung?” he asked playfully as he took his time making his way towards him.

“Hurry up or else I’m going to drop this on your head!” Yesung fumed as he struggled against the heavy door. Kyuhyun only laughed as he lifted the box out of Yesung’s arms and set it on the floor.

“Looks like you need to get more exercise,” Kyuhyun teased as he dodged Yesung’s swat to his head. “Or maybe it’s those baby hands of yours.”

“Or maybe, you’re just being a brat!” Yesung huffed as he plopped down onto the couch, glaring at Kyuhyun. Nevertheless, he was glad to finally be free of his load.

“Nuh-uh! How could I, the amazing, handsome, and talented Prince Kyuhyun, be a brat? What you just suggested makes no sense at all.” Kyuhyun replied pompously as he looked down at Yesung with his arms crossed. The two mock glared at each other for another two seconds before exploding into laughter.

“You, a prince? You’ve got to be joking!” Yesung guffawed, almost falling off the couch when Kyuhyun dropped down beside him. “I’d feel sorry for your subjects, they’d probably all go crazy from your lack of respect and formality!”

“Hey! I use honorifics most of the time. I just forget occasionally. I mean, we’re in the same grade after all,” Kyuhyun defended himself. “Besides, you can’t deny that I’m amazing, handsome, and talented. I not only started school a year early, but I also skipped a grade after that! But, especially the handsome part.” He winked at Yesung cheekily, before bursting into laughter once again.

Yesung rolled his eyes. “I don’t care if you’re in the same grade as me; I’m still two years older. Oh, and you forgot to mention egoistical and narcissistic, hardly princely qualities. I also refuse to acknowledge your looks.” But as he looked over at Kyuhyun’s laughing face, he knew it was true. Kyuhyun was most definitely handsome with his angular face, full lips, and chocolate eyes so deep you could drown in them. Yesung knew that sounded beyond cheesy, but it was the undeniable truth. The only thing that was more beautiful was his voice. When he sang, he honest to God thought he was in heaven.

Lost in his thoughts, he didn’t even notice that he was staring at Kyuhyun, who’d finally stopped laughing. Kyuhyun cocked his head, before grinning slightly. He slowly started to lean forward, whispering, “Yesung, earth to Yesung.” When he got no response, he leaned forward even more, before clapping his hands together with a loud crack right in front of Yesung’s face. “YESUNG, ANYBODY HOME?”

Yesung immediately jerked backwards and away from Kyuhyun’s face as he snapped out of his reverie, falling off the side of the couch with both his eyes and mouth wide open. “Y-YAH!”

 “BWAHAHAHAHAH!” Kyuhyun almost rolled off the couch himself as he clutched his stomach, shaking from all the laughter.

“Hey! I’m your hyung! We were just talking about honorifics, too!” Yesung attempted to scold, but his flustered appearance and beet red face only made Kyuhyun laugh harder. “Y-yah! It’s not that funny!”

“You should’ve seen your own face, hyung!” Kyuhyun hooted as he tried to calm himself. “PRICELESS!”

Yesung felt as if his face was burning up from embarrassment as he stared at Kyuhyun indignantly. “You’re so mean!”

“Sorry, I couldn’t resist when I saw you space out again,” Kyuhyun apologized, even though he didn’t look sorry at all. “You seem to be spacing out a lot, and I mean more than usual, Yesung.” His brow furrowed. “Has something been on your mind recently? Something wrong?”

“Of course there’s something wrong! How many times do I have to tell you? It’s Yesung-HYUNG, not just Yesung!” Yesung griped as he pushed his previous thoughts away, his face slowly returning to its normal color but still tinged with red. “And you always help with chores as little as possible!”

“I doubt that’s what you were thinking about when you spaced out,” Kyuhyun scoffed. “But,” he added, a devilish glint in his eye, “you just reminded me. It’s…Starcraft time!” Before Yesung could react, Kyuhyun had already jumped off the couch, grabbed his laptop off the table, and was halfway across the room.

“YAH! WE STILL NEED TO UNPACK!” Yesung stumbled to his feet, but knew he was already too late.

“Sorry hyung, but I’ve got a reputation to live up to. I’ll help you later!” With a little wave, Kyuhyun disappeared inside their bedroom, the lock clicking a few moments later to ensure his privacy.

“That insufferable brat, I swear I don’t even know why I put up with him,” Yesung grumbled as he surveyed the mess of cardboard boxes on the floor. But, as he remembered Kyuhyun’s concerned expression earlier, he just couldn’t stay upset at his dongsaeng. If only he wasn’t such a lovable brat!

Yesung and Kyuhyun had just finalized the renting of this small apartment a week ago, and had finally started the tedious process of moving in. They would both be going to the same college in the fall, and had opted to rent an apartment together instead of paying the astronomical price for the dorms on campus. The apartment was small, sure, but it was cozy and good enough for the two of them.

With an irritated sigh, Yesung began to sort through the boxes, setting aside the ones that needed to go in the bedroom that Kyuhyun now occupied. A slight smile unconsciously turned his lips upward when he thought of Kyuhyun, even though he was supposed to be annoyed with him. The two of them were inseparable best friends now, but when Yesung thought about it, it didn’t seem to make sense. After all, their personalities seemed to be polar opposites of each other. How could two people so different share such a close bond? Yesung shook his head slightly. No, he knew the answer to that question. Opposites do attract, especially when they are placed in a similar situation.

 

Yesung ran a hand through his hair repeatedly in frustration as his other hand gripped a small map tightly. He turned in a circle, trying his best to orient himself according to the map, only to become more confused. Taking a deep breath, he pushed blindly through the hallway jam packed with people rushing to their first hour class. The warning bell had already rung, but Yesung still had no idea where he was going. Maybe he’d stumble into the right classroom by chance, he thought wryly to himself.

He knew he probably should’ve asked for directions earlier, but he’d been too nervous to. His family had just moved from country-side Cheonan to busy Seoul, and the difference was astounding. At Yesung’s old school, he couldn’t have gotten lost no matter how hard he tried to. Here, not only were there multiple floors to the high school, the room numbering also made no sense! It was the first day of school, and the second Yesung stepped through the doors, he felt like an outsider. Everything was foreign to him, making him miss the more narrow and familiar hallways of his old middle school. The last thing he wanted to do was to make himself seem even more like an outsider when he already felt like he didn’t belong. And so, he’d obstinately decided against asking anyone for directions. How he regretted that decision now.

And then, within a few seconds’ time, the hallways were suddenly almost empty. Yesung only blinked in confusion, but the bell signaling the start of class snapped him out of it. He squinted down at his map, but just like before, couldn’t make head nor tail of it. He almost screamed aloud in frustration. Why did this have to be so difficult?

“Lost?” Yesung whirled around in surprise. The owner of the voice was another fellow student. He had messy brown hair, a handsome face, and smirk on his lips. “Need help?”

“Y-Yeah.” Yesung tried to calm his rapidly beating heart as he watched the stranger suspiciously, his eyes narrowed slightly. Why wasn’t he in class? But more importantly, would he help him? It seemed to be too much to hope for.

“That’s too bad. I’m a new student too.” Yesung felt his stomach sink, but he only berated himself for thinking he’d just been saved.

“But, I think I can help you.”

Yesung’s eyes widened, but the stranger only chuckled. “I uh, kinda, misplaced my map. But you have one, right? That’s all I need.”

Yesung hesitantly handed his map to the stranger, who scanned it quickly. “What’s your room number?”

“317.”

“Oh, that’s not too far from here. Take the first left down that way, go all the way to the end and turn left, take the third right, and then…” he trailed off as he took in Yesung’s panicked expression. “On second thought, maybe I should just take you there…”

“You’d do that?” Yesung couldn’t fathom why this stranger was being so helpful. “Won’t you be even more late?”

The other boy shrugged. “I’m late already anyways, it’s not gonna make a difference. Besides, you’ll just get lost again even with my directions, won’t you? Come on.”

Yesung grudgingly followed the boy, and sure enough, before long they were in front of room 317.

After recovering from surprise that this was indeed the right room, Yesung bowed hastily in thanks and turned to enter the room, only to find an arm blocking his way.

“I have a proposal for you. Lend me this map of yours, and I’ll walk you to every one of your classes so you won’t get lost.”

Yesung didn’t even pause to consider the offer. He should’ve known there was a motive behind helping him to class. If he handed this boy his map, he’d probably never see him again in this oversized school. “Thanks, but no thanks. I’m really late already, so if you’ll excuse me…” he mumbled in a hurry, walking around the arm in front of him. But suddenly, the map was no longer in his hands.

“Too bad. It doesn’t matter if you agree or not. See you after class! Oh, and by the way, my name’s Kyuhyun, Cho Kyuhyun.”

 

Yesung couldn’t help but chuckle at the memory. He’d been absolutely livid at the time. But, already being horribly late for class, he’d no choice but to let him go. He’d thought there was no way Kyuhyun would actually come back, therefore spending the entire hour having a panic attack about how he find his next class. The last thing he expected was for Kyuhyun to be true to his word and show up outside his classroom door, and then continue to do so for the rest of the day.

Even on the second day, third day, and the rest of the week, Kyuhyun continued to walk with Yesung to his classes, his excuse being that he assumed a person like him probably still got lost going to places he already knew. Although annoyed and embarrassed at first, Yesung knew it was true and secretly began to feel grateful.

The friendship that had blossomed soon after was an inevitable thing for the two new students.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: Tada! Chapter one! This is lahdeedah000 by the way. ^-^ I'll be the one leaving author's comments in purple! I hope you guys enjoyed this "intro" chapter. LEAVE COMMENTS if you're looking forward to chapter two that's being written by JayJayTeuk! Comments means motivation for faster updates! :D They also let us know how we're doing, and they can give us ideas too! :)