Intruder.

Summer Waters

 

KRIS

“Wu Fan, go talk to your mother.” It was almost 12 o’clock at night when my father came into my room and said this.

“Why all of the sudden?” I got up and stood awkwardly before him.

“Just go. I’ll come in and see what’s going on later.” He then left me alone.

I slowly creeped out into the hallway, checking both ways that no one was there. I didn’t need to, but I did. I made my way down to the door I had entered a few days ago. I took a deep breath, my hand on the door handle.

Then, I opened it.

Inside, she was sitting the way she had been when I first saw her. Sitting with her legs beneath her.

A large tea set with various snacks was set up in front of her. Real china, the kind that would cost you a lot of money these days, they’re antique.

“Ah, young boy. You’re back. Come, come. Sit and drink with me.” I gingerly made my way over and sat myself down in front of her. The tea set separating us.

“When I was younger, all I did was make tea. My father and mother would always ask me to prepare it.” She smiled to herself.

I already knew all of that. She’d always make tea traditionally when I was young. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

“So, what is your name, young boy?” She looked up at me curiously. She seemed different.

Sane.

“It’s Wu Fan.” I fidgeted.

“Ah, I see. I have a son named Wu Fan.” She smiled to herself and then pointed to a photo on the tallboy next to her. “There is a picture of him there.”

“I know.”

“How would you know?” She chuckled to herself. “Have we met before?”

“I’m your son. Mum, you don’t remember me?” I in a breath. I’d said it. I’d finally said what I had wanted to. She looked up at me, slightly confused but she laughed.

“Don’t be silly, Wu Fan. My son is only eleven.” She shook her head smiling.

That’s right. I was only eleven when I left this house. But still, how would she not know?

“Mum, it’s been a few years, but I am your son. I’m Wu Fan.” I started panicking. My breathing was going in a weird pattern; I thought I was going to pass out.

“You aren’t my son. Maybe you should leave now.” She turned away from me, her side profile now facing me.

“Mum! How can you not remember?!” I stood up.

“What are you yelling about?” My father came in and stood behind me.

“This boy, claims he is my son.” She put down the tea cup she was holding and looked up at my father with dull eyes.

“He is your son.” She was quiet for a moment, before she grabbed onto the end of her hair and began pulling on it.

“He isn’t! My son is eleven!” She yelled suddenly, and stood up, knocking over various teacups.

“Calm down, Mei-Xing.” My father came over, stepping over the teacups and stood in front of me.

“Get out! You aren’t my son! You’re an intruder!” She leant down and picked up one of the fallen cups and aimed for me. It flew past my head and smashed into the wall behind me.

“What the f-

“GET OUT!” She flung another, and so I quickly exited the room.

Tears fell from my eyes without warning.

This was only the beginning.