The Summer Party Part 1

The Chaser

 

"WOOH!"

"YEAH!"

"PASS IT TO ME!"

Laughter and screams filled the air as bundles of high school students jumped in and out of the lake in Hyo Yun's backyard, throwing beach balls at each other in the water and dancing to the music blasting from the huge speakers on a wooden platform in the middle of the lake.

Literally everyone at school received the notification of the summer party at Hyo Yun's mansion within a matter of minutes. How they found out didn't really matter to me. How quickly they found out was pretty shocking to me, considering  that Hyo Yun and I were barely halfway done with planning it just a few days ago. But then again, it was Hyo Yun. Anything that has to do with her, the rest of the school finds out in seconds. Although it can be a little suffocating with everyone knowing our business as if our lives were also theirs, at least we didn't have to worry about inviting many people to the party. They just show up.

"Cho Ae sunbaenim," an underclassman who was in one of my classes during junior year approached me, "what game do you have in store for us today? Hyo Yun sunbaenim said that you had a surprise game for everyone, and"—she turned to glance at the people in and around the lake—"we were wondering what it is."

I blinked. Oh yeah, I thought to myself, the game I planned against Woohyun. Except that I technically couldn't pick it, he had to. But since he didn't know what we were up to in planning for the party, I didn't think much about it until now.

I looked to the lake, where several games were being played. Volleyball, Frisbee, soccer, swimming races, etc. I caught sight of the basketball hoop in the center of the lake stage, then at the people swimming for the single basketball that was currently wading in the water. One person caught it, but with slight difficulty, and threw it at the hoop. The ball bounced off the backboard and fell into the hoop.

A smile stretched upon my face. I turned to my underclassman and opened my mouth to answer, but was interrupted by a group of voices that screeched, "CHOOOOO AAAAEEEEE!!!!!!" from behind.

I sighed with a chuckle and turned around to watch my seven boys walk toward me. All of them had shirts and board shorts on. Except for one.

Woohyun strutted a few feet in front of them wearing board shorts. Just board shorts. Even though I've seen him shirtless at water-related events before, this was noticeably different. There was something different about him.

For one, he was shirtless. Therefore, his entire upper body was exposed. And, sure, I've seen it before, but he had gained more muscle since the last time I've laid eyes on it. His world-renowned chocolate abs were more refined, and his arms bulged where anyone would want them to, in the perfect places they were supposed to, and I couldn't help but stare as they flexed with every step he took.

And the second one, unlike the rest of his group, he wasn't smiling with goofy joy. He had that sly, confident, crooked smile—his signature smile—that made all the girls scream and literally fall for him. Except he wasn't directing it at everyone, like he usually would.

It was directed at me.

And suddenly I felt like screaming and falling.

Instead, I blinked out of my trance, took a deep, fresh breath, and confronted him.

"So, Nam Woohyun," he let out a deep, throaty guffaw at my calling him by his full name, "are you ready to lose?"

He smirked. "You shouldn't be so cocky right now, Cho Ae. The game hasn't even started yet."

"Don't worry, it'll be over soon after it starts."

"And what do you have planned for us?" He glanced past me and at the lake.

My eyes and expression didn't falter as my smile widened. "Water basketball."

He grinned. "Easy."

I smirked. "You sure? We'll be playing in water, not on land, Woohyun."

His eyes suddenly flickered to uncertainty. He turned around to face the six boys. "YAH!" He yelled to them. They stood there innocently, avoiding his glare. "You guys told me that it'd be a land sport!"

Sungjong shrugged, then, meeting Woohyun's eyes, he smiled like a clueless child. "Oops."

Hyo Yun leaned toward Sunggyu and muttered, "You would think that he'd expect it to be in water." She rolled her eyes, and Sunggyu laughed.

Woohyun groaned and turned back to me in utter defeat. "Let's do this."

I grinned and giggled. "I told you that you'd be no match for me." I grabbed his hand and began pulling him toward the lake. The rest of the boys and Hyo Yun followed.

"So not fair," muttered Woohyun.

When we reached the lake, everyone else had already gotten out and were waiting patiently for Hyo Yun to announce the first official game of the day.

"Annyeong, everyone!" She greeted. Everyone cheered. "As you all know, I'm Kim Hyo Yun, co-host of this year's summer party. For our first game, I know you guys have heard and are all excited to hear, Cho Ae, our fellow classmate and second co-host for today's party, will be playing one-on-one water basketball against my handsome, but unfortunately dense," we all laughed, "cousin, Woohyun!"

Everyone cheered again and already began chanting names. Half were for me, the other for Woohyun.

"You ready?" Woohyun asked as he stretched beside me.

I smirked, then threw the white dress that I wore aside, revealing my white bikini underneath, ready to stab through that water and claim my victory. Whistles and cheering appeared from all around, along with "ooh"s directed to Woohyun.

"Let's do this." I turned toward him and stepped forward to the edge of the dock.

However, before I could get the chance to turn back and dive into the water, my foot slipped on a wet portion of the dock, and suddenly I was fully submerged in the lake.

Dammit, I muttered, I can't believe I didn't see that. Flailing my arms around, I pushed my way to the surface.

I almost made it, when I felt strong arms surround my waist and pull me up. As soon as I broke the surface, I took a deep breath and looked to my assistant.

Woohyun.

My eyes widened, and my face and neck were heating up in stark contrast to the coolness of the water. He held me close and was looking down at me, his hair dripping with water and his shoulders and chest heaving from the energy he exerted trying to save me from potentially drowning, though he and I both know that I am perfectly capable of swimming and finding my way to the surface.

His eyes were filled with laughter and slight mockery. "Next time, watch where you're going." He chuckled.

I laughed with him and everyone else, then pushed away from him. "Coming from the guy who smashed into the wall at the ice rink because he wasn't watching where he was going."

He laughed. "Yah, that kid was teasing me. I couldn't let him get away with it."

"Okay, you lovebirds," Hyo Yun said, my cheeks reddened again, "how should we do it?"

I grinned. "I'll keep it short." I looked back at Woohyun. "This shouldn't take long." Everyone belted out a long "ooh" at my comment, and Woohyun chuckled. "Best out of five."

Hyo Yun nodded, held up the sole object of this game over her head, and said, "Loser has to clean up after the party," her smile widened and her eyes twinkled with mischief, "by themselves."

Suddenly, everyone began chanting my name. Sunggyu and the rest of the six boys laughed as they rolled on the grass, pointing at Woohyun like they were elementary school kids. Woohyun held his hand to his face and shook his head.

"READY!" Hyo Yun yelled. She threw the basketball to the other side of the lake, opposite of where we were, while at the same time shouting, "GO!"

Woohyun and I immediately made a break for the ball. My arms cut through the water like a knife through butter, and I eventually reached the ball first. As soon as Woohyun saw that I had it, he turned around to defend the hoop. I swam back as fast as I could, but Woohyun was there waiting, his hands extending high in the air to block my shot, but I kicked back, held the ball up, and threw it.

The ball made a swish as it fell through the hoop.

Everyone roared all around us while Hyo Yun simultaneously yelled, "And Cho Ae takes the first point!"

The game continued with me earning my second score, but quickly lost the ball to Woohyun. He scored his first point, then his second immediately after, and we were neck to neck.

The atmosphere was growing intense as it came down to the final shot. Neither of us wanted to clean up by ourselves, and I certainly despised losing to Woohyun. Even with his athleticism, I still managed to defeat him in every single sport we played against each other, and he wasn't going to break my streak just yet.

Woohyun caught the ball after making his second score. He floated in the water for a while, grinning at me.

"This is it, guys," Hyo Yun spoke softly into the microphone like a game announcer. "Whoever makes this shot does not have to clean up this awesome party. And I really hope it's gonna be Cho Ae."

Woohyun turned to her, and I took my opportunity to dive into the water. He yelled out, "Yah! That's favoritism!" And everyone burst out in laughter.

As soon as he said his final word, I brought my legs up to kick the ball out of his grasp. It flew in the air, along with screams from the crowd, and landed in my hands. Woohyun's  jaw dropped in surprise. With a smirk, I held the ball against my chest, laid back in the water, and kicked further away from the hoop while effectively keeping Woohyun at bay as he dove toward me. I stopped a few feet from the edge of the lake and readied my position as he swam closer to me. I held the ball up, and just as Woohyun emerged from the water to tackle me, I threw it.

The both of us fell underwater. His arms were around me as I narrowed my eyes at him for tackling me. He opened his mouth to laugh, blowing numerous air bubbles at the same time. I did the same. We broke through the surface and were met with cheers, applause, and Hyo Yun screaming through the microphone, "CHO AE WINS! SHE DOES NOT HAVE TO CLEAN UP BY HERSELF. WOOHYUN IS THE LOSER! WOOH!"

Woohyun shook his head. "Aish, that girl. She doesn't know sympathy."

I laughed. "Told you I'd win."

He flashed a crooked smile. "I admit my defeat to you, Cho Ae. That was definitely not an easy game to win."

I pinched his cheek. "Good. Now you know that not everything is easy to get. You have to work hard to accomplish things."

Hyo Yun began announcing the next game to be played while numerous people stood up to meet me at the dock. As soon as I pulled myself onto the dock, they all surrounded me, congratulating me and complimenting me on my nice moves. As people got back into the lake for the next game, Hyo Yun approached me and placed one of our handmade golden crowns that we prepared for today on my head. I thanked them all before wrapping a towel around me and getting up to meet Sunggyu and the rest of the guys as they made their way to the dock.

"Great job, Cho Ae!" Sunggyu placed his hand on my shoulder and shook me lightly. "You showed that pabo!"

"Yeah! Yeah!" Sungyeol nodded aggressively. "Did you hear me, Cho Ae? I was screaming for you like, YEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!" He screeched as the muscles in his arms and hands tightened.

I giggled. "Of course I heard you, Sungyeol oppa. I couldn't miss my choding's scream for anything." He grinned. "Anyways, you guys ready for the next game?"

They all nodded. Sungjong said, "Ne, noona. We were ready for this game since we got here."

Sunggyu nodded. "Since we all knew that Woohyun would get annihilated by you in water basketball, which he did," we all laughed, "we already planned our pairs for the chicken fighting game. We can handle enough shame from that guy."

I giggled. "Okay. Well, I'll cheer all of you guys on! Fighting!" I held my fist in the air.

"Thanks, Cho Ae!" They all ran to the dock and jumped in the lake. Hyo Yun screamed as water splashed onto her and heavily scolded them for almost ruining the sound system.

I chuckled at the sight before turning to walk towards Woohyun sitting on a beach chair beside the lake. He waved to me when our eyes met and gestured to the empty chair beside him.

"Hey there, champ," he greeted with a grin as I occupied the empty seat.

"Hello, loser oppa." I giggled. He grinned.

"So what are those pabos doing?"

"They're gonna play the chicken fighting game."

He feigned offense and scoffed. "Without me?"

"Sunggyu oppa said that you bring shame to them because you got annihilated by me in water basketball." I giggled. "So they can't risk any more shame."

Woohyun snickered. "Aish, those guys. Just like Hyo Yun noona, no sympathy." We both chuckled, then turned to the impending comedy show in the lake.

There were eight couples in the water, three of which were our six boys. Sunggyu was paired with Sungjong, with Sungjong sitting on Sunggyu's shoulders. Sunggyu was complaining about how he was forced to be the bottom person all because he lost in a game of rock paper scissors. The second pair was Dongwoo and Hoya, Dongwoo situated comfortably on Hoya. Hoya stood in the water nonchalantly while Dongwoo laughed at the oldest and youngest members of their group. The final pair was Myungsoo and Sungyeol, Sungyeol on top of Myungsoo. Sungyeol was yelling at the other two pairs about beating them while Myungsoo reached around Sungyeol's legs to fix his hair.

"Okay!" Yelled Hyo Yun. All eight couples turned to her. "First two couples up!"

Hyo Yun and I decided on having some of the games be tournaments, since majority of the party attendants requested it. Especially the six boys who were competing in the chicken fighting game, since they already planned to compete with just the six of them because they agreed that Woohyun didn't have a chance against me.

The first round of the quarterfinals consisted of teams GyuJong and an upcoming senior couple. Despite their arguing, team GyuJong advanced to the semifinals.

The second round of the quarterfinals consisted of teams YaDong and two underclassmen. Dongwoo and Hoya made the perfect couple and easily defeated their hoobaes. However, Dongwoo was a complete gentleman for helping the other team out of the water and congratulating them for their hard work. Hoya bowed to them, then danced in celebration with Dongwoo.

The third round of the quarterfinals consisted of underclassmen and upperclassmen teams. The underclassmen won.

The final round of the quarterfinals consisted of the MyungYeol team and an upperclassman and underclassman team. Sungyeol screeched a battle cry as they fought, and eventually overpowered their opponents using his long arms. He then screeched a victorious cry with his arms stretched to the sky and pointed to Sunggyu and Sunjong, as if they were his next victims.

And they were.

Sunggyu continued nagging about having to carry such a heavy load, while Sungjong told him to deal with it. Sungyeol took pleasure in mocking them as they fought, eventually being joined by Myungsoo. Sungjong struggled with countering against Sungyeol's long arms. He was eventually able to push Sungyeol back. However, Sungyeol anticipated on the move, and used his final strength in shoving Sungjong back as hard as he could, and Sungjong fell back and into the water, followed by Sunggyu, who was pushed by Myungsoo. MyungYeol cheered in victory, while team YaDong watched from the other side of the lake, their battle finished shortly after it started.

"They make every game like some sort of war." I giggled.

Woohyun chuckled. "It's funner that way."

"I know, it's just really entertaining to watch because Sungyeol's out for blood today."

He threw his head back and laughed. "When is he never out for blood? That guy lives for the thrill."

"That's why he's our choding."

His smile widened. "Exactly." And we turned our attention back to the game.

It was down to team YaDong and team MyungYeol in the finals. Dongwoo cracked his knuckles and stretched while Sungyeol belted out the loudest war cry you've ever heard. Hoya and Myungsoo charged at each other, and Dongwoo and Sungyeol clashed together in a flurry of arms and splashes of water. Eventually, Dongwoo managed to get past Sungyeol's long arms and was trying to push his shoulders down. Sungyeol had difficulty trying to wrap his arms around Dongwoo to throw him off, and he was falling fast. Everyone can see the strain on both Myungsoo's and Hoya's faces from supporting their partners.

In the end, Sungyeol was able to encircle his arms around Dongwoo and shove him in the water, followed by Hoya. He let out a cry of a long fought war that finally ended in victory, and he fell back into the water with arms wide open.

I chanted, "MyungYeol, MyungYeol!" with the crowd and joined Woohyun in giving them a standing ovation.

Sungyeol stood up in the water, pointed at his friends turned enemies, and yelled, "I TOLD YOU I'D FINALLY WIN. LEE SUNGYEOL, THE VICTOR!" He pointed at Sunggyu. "YAH! BOW DOWN TO ME!" Sunggyu simply rolled his eyes.

"And the winners of the chicken fighting tournament are," Hyo Yun announced, "Lee Sungyeol and Kim Myungsoo!" She crowned the two with our handmade crowns.

"I did it!" Sungyeol cheered happily. "I finally beat the rest of those pabos!" He turned to his partner. "Kamsahamnida, Myungsoo-ah!" He fell into the water once again and let himself float with the subtle waves.

Tournaments continued for the next hour or so, and while everyone had fun in Hyo Yun's backyard, I stayed in my beach chair talking to my best friend.

"How long did it take you two to get all of this done?" Woohyun turned to the outdoor arcade section of the backyard, where many old school arcade games that you normally wouldn't see often nowadays were spread out and a huge flat screen TV sat in the middle with rows of Wii, Xbox, and old Nintendo console games around it.

I shrugged. "A couple of days, I guess. It didn't take us that long to gather all the games or set up everything that you see here. You know Hyo Yun unnie, she has everything."

He chuckled. "Yeah, I know. But this is cool, though! The stage in the middle of the lake, the arcade, the long buffet line, everything's nearly perfect."

I raised an eyebrow. "Nearly perfect?"

"Yeah, because the thing that makes this party perfect is the party co-host and queen," he reached over to poke my crown, "Lee Cho Ae."

I chuckled and shook my head. "Aigoo... You're so greasy, oppa." I smiled. "But thanks. Hyo Yun unnie and I worked really hard on this."

"And it paid off great."

"It did, didn't it?" I looked at everyone scattered around the backyard, at the six boys having a swimming race in the lake, at Hyo Yun yelling into the microphone, "Five laps left, boys!" and at my best friend looking back at me.

This moment couldn't be any more perfect.

Suddenly, people began turning to Hyo Yun's house. Girls gasped. Guys muttered to each other. Everyone stopped what they were doing to gather around the house. My hoobae who asked me about my surprise game whispered in a low voice as she rushed to join everyone.

My eyebrows furrowed. Woohyun and I stood up from our chairs to follow what everyone had their attentions on.

Kris.

 


 

Well, isn't this embarrassing. It's been almost two years and I only updated this now. Mianhe, everyone! But they're back! Cho Ae, Woohyun, and Kris! The summer party has just begun! The second part to this will (hopefully) be posted soon! Don't worry, though, I already started it!

I think this is pretty appropriate, update the story with a summer party during summer. Cho Ae and Woohyun had some beef to settle with each other, and Sungyeol finally got the victory he deserves! See when hard work pays off? Hehe.

So, what will happen next? Kris is here, now what? What will Cho Ae do? We know how everyone else reacted to his appearance, but how will Woohyun react to it?

Dun dun dun...