Misleading Actions

The Chaser

 

Sitting on an ornate designed metal chair around one of the tables outside of a cafe near Etude House, I could still feel the sensation of Kris' touch around my arms, as if I had never felt like this in a long time. I was grinning like a maniac at the constant thought of it as I thinly ran my hands and fingers down the length of my bare arms and back up, the static from the light brushing bringing back the shivering sensation.

A low voice emerged from in front of me. "Wae?"

My head tilted up and my eyes caught sight of Woohyun standing in front of me with his eyebrows furrowed and an amused smile on his face. I blushed then held my arms out to him. "Hyunnie-oppa!"

He chuckled and shook his head. "Aigoo," he said as he took a seat beside me, "what am I going to do with you?"

I leaned toward him. "You can take me to where my other oppas are." I batted my eyelashes and tilted my head to the side.

"No," he answered firmly, though there was a muffled laugh hiding behind it, "arcades aren't for girls like"—he pecked my nose with his finger—"you."

I pouted. "Wae, oppa..." I grinned and sat back in my chair with my arms crossed over my chest. "Afraid that I would beat you at Street Fighter again?"

His cheeks turned red and it was his turn to whine. "Neh, Cho Ae~" He stomped his shoes on the ground. "That was one time!"

"Ha!" I exclaimed, shaking my head. "No, it wasn't! I practically beat you a million times in a row!"

He threw his head back and groaned. "Cho Ae, give me mercy, please."

"How am I merciless to you? I just want you to take me where I want to go! And I want to be with my other oppas."

He leaned towards me and pouted. "What about this oppa?"

I pushed him away from me and laughed. "I spend way too much time with you that I feel like I'm neglecting the others!"

He waved his hand around. "Tch, that's not true! They completely understand the time that you need to spend with me. They're just jealous because we're closer to each other."

"And that's why! It's no wonder I'm neglecting them and you even explained that!"

"Tch..." He leaned back and crossed his arms.

Suddenly I grabbed his arm. He was taken aback by this and his eyes widened. "Come on!" I begged. "I really want to spend time with them!"

He stared at me for a few moments, searching my eyes with his, before he replied, "You feel really bad, don't you?"

I nodded and stuck my bottom lip out. "De..."

"Aigoo," he sighed. Then he smiled and straightened himself in the chair. "Okay," he agreed, "we'll go. But I want to eat right now because I am famished!" He turned his head to me. "Aren't you hungry?"

Right after he asked the question, I felt my stomach rumbling. He chuckled. "I guess you are." He stood up. "I'll go order for us. Don't move, okay? I don't want you ditching me for the guys." He smiled once again before strolling into the cafe.

I sat back in the chair and crossed my arms. Of course he knew I would be considering ditching him, but it was too harsh, even for me. My fingers brushed against my arms again, and I giggled.

A quick flashback of my encounter with Kris in Etude House crossed my mind.

 

"Anyway, I'm sorry I said those kinds of things about you. I had no idea you could understand and speak Mandarin..."

"But," he paused to select his words carefully, "you like me, and I said that about you..."

"I guess we'll see if you do change my mind."

 

Sigh. With his hard demeanor, will it really be possible to change his opinions about me?

But... He did offer some hints for his agreement in my ultimatum. His lacking, but trying, manners, his smiles, and the way he caught me when I was close to being smacked on the floor.

Oh, the way he caught me... I instantly felt myself melting in my place like ice cream on this hot summer day. But his agreement charged a jolt of motivation through me.

"You're doing it again."

"Huh?" My head whirled around to Woohyun standing behind me with a tray of two cups of coffee in his hands. I blushed again as he set the tray down on the table and removed the drinks from the tray.

"You're usually not this distracted," he observed as he took his seat. "Is this about the new makeup you bought?"

I giggled. "No~ But I did"I grabbed the pink bag from the ground and dropped it on my lap—"get some nice things from there." I scavenged through the bag and brought out the first thing my hand could clutch. "Blush." He nodded. "Lipstick." Nod. "Mascara." Nod. "And~" I brought out the last piece. "Eye liner."

His eyes widened at those final words. "Eye liner?" He reached out to grab it from my hand, but I yanked it back. "You have to let me borrow that."

"No way!" I shoved his shoulder back. "I had to buy this one because you used up all of my last eye liner!"

"Wae~" He slouched and reluctantly took a sip of his mocha.

I laughed then grabbed my latte and gulped almost the entire thing down my throat. When the tip of the straw was separated from my lips, Woohyun asked, "So that's not the reason why you're daydreaming?"

My eyes shot up for a second, whether or not to tell him. I set the cup on the table, took a breath in, and turned to him. "I saw Kris today."

He seemed to choke on his drink. "Wh-What?" His brows furrowed.

"I saw Kris in Etude House."

He grinned and tried holding back a laugh, but it was unsuccessful. "Really? What does he buy there, lipstick, too?"

I clenched my teeth. "Tch, no! He was there with his mother."

"What? So it doesn't look like he's going there for the makeup? That he's just there to accompany his mother?"

"Ani..." I shook my head. "He goes there for the moisturizers. Unlike some"—I eyed him—"people I know."

He put his drink down and held his hands up. "Hey, not my fault I wanna look good. I don't know about him though." He sneered at the word him.

"Come on," I urged, "he's not that bad. He said some things, but—"

"He said some things?" Now he was furious. "What exactly did he say, Cho Ae?"

"Well, he knew that I liked him for a while and he almost said—"

"Said what? That you're annoying? That you're too much for him because you like him? Cho Ae, even though he didn't say it, he still thought it."

"Yeah, but—"

Woohyun stood up. "Come on." He grabbed my hand and pulled me to my feet. "Let's get going."

"But—"

His head snapped to me. "You said you wanted to see your other oppas, didn't you?" He smiled. "Let's go."

 

----

 

"They're not here."

Woohyun and I scoured the entire arcade inside and out in search of the six boys. There was no doubt that all of them would be in here, sticking their heads into the screens as if they could actually be a part of it. Majority of the people in this arcade were boys, and very few were girls, most likely accompanying their friends, brothers, or boyfriends. They all looked just like my oppas from the back whenever they would play any game; but to our surprise, and my dismay, they were nowhere to be found.

"Hmm..." Woohyun thought out loud. "I was sure I left them here." He craned his neck to take one last look around then gave up after one sweep.

"Here," I reached into my satchel and brought out my phone, "I'll try to call them." I dialed Sunggyu-oppa's number then held the phone up to my ear.

Ring ring...

"The number you have dialed is unavailable at this moment..."

I pouted, pressed the red square on the screen, then dropped my phone back in my bag. "Sunggyu-oppa didn't answer. Where could they be?"

He shrugged. "They could be eating right now, but I don't wanna go back."

"But the food court is right outside."

He sighed. "I know." He turned to me. "Hey, let's just spend the day together."

"Doing what? I have to meet Hyo Yun unnie at her house in a few hours."

He scoffed. "Tch, it's not like she'll kill you if you're one second late."

"But I have to help her prepare for the party!"

"She can do it on her own."

"Oppa!"

"Come on." He began to drag me out of the arcade and in the opposite direction of the food court. "I know a place where we can hang out."

 

----

 

"The ice rink?"

Woohyun nodded and smiled. "Yeah. It's better than the beach, and I know you don't have a swim suit on right now."

I chuckled and shook my head. Okay, obviously not what I had in mind for the day, but definitely agreeable with Woohyun. I glanced at the huge rink below us and the people gliding on it like graceful—and not so graceful—ballerinas. I smiled.

"I know," he said, gently tugging on my hand and leading me down the line of people to the guy behind the counter to give us our skates, "you used to come to ice rinks with your parents when you guys were out of the country." He grinned. "I remember."

The guy behind the counter smiled at the two of us then handed Woohyun two pairs of skates, one in size 260, and the other in size 240. Woohyun thanked the guy and took both shoes and guided me through the tiny crowd to the middle row of the stands above the rink. He set the skates on the floor and we took our seats.

"It's been a while since I've been to an ice rink," I commented as I began to slip out of my black heels. I grabbed one of the skates and proceeded to put my foot inside when I stopped and my eyes widened. I turned to Woohyun. "I don't have socks."

He grinned then pulled a pair out from his pocket. "I thought ahead of time." He held them out to me and I took them while eyeing him simultaneously.

"Yah!" I slightly yelled, shoving him to the side. "You knew where the boys were and you pretended not to know just so you could take me away from them!"

He laughed and pushed himself back up. "Mianhe, Cho Ae." He stuffed his foot inside one skate, then grabbed the other and did the same. "But you really can't blame me for being selfish." I rolled my eyes.

"You were born selfish." I continued to eye him as I slipped on the socks. "I should've expected it."

He laughed once more. "You know me too well, Cho Ae." He stood up and adjusted his feet in the skates to find his comfort spot. When he was satisfied, he turned his head down to watch me place my feet in my skates. "You done?"

I twisted the backs of my feet to find my own comfort spots inside, then tilted my head up and beamed at him. "Yup." He held his hand out, and I took it. He flexed his arm to help me to my feet and keep my balance, and his. We then made our way to the nearest aisle and slowly descended to the entrance of the ice rink. He stepped on the ice first as I took hold of the side with my hands. As soon as he was sure that he wouldn't be falling bottom first onto the ice, he held his hand out again and assured me that it was safe. I giggled, then grabbed hold of his assurance and leaned on it, lightly and carefully stepping onto the hard, and now slippery, ground.

Woohyun had a sort of difficult time figuring out how to move his legs and feet to get him moving on the ice. He struggled with standing upright and occasionally almost did the splits. Laughter boomed from my mouth as I watched his arms flailing in the air, attempting to balance himself, but it was clearly useless.

"I thought I would be better at this," he thought aloud. He flung his head up and flashed an unsure and worried smile. "It didn't look too hard."

"Yeah, to the people who have practiced before." I smirked. "Why don't you go to the side and practice with the walkers?" I pointed to a sliver part of the rink where children were training themselves to skate using blue walkers. When Woohyun saw that, he whimpered. "I don't think that's such a great idea, Cho Ae." Another laugh became audible. "Come on! I don't want to be held back by your inexperience at skating!" Another whimper. "When you finally learn to skate, then you can join me here."

"But—"

I shook my head and confirmed with a rigid tone, "No."

"Ah, chincha~" He reluctantly pushed himself up from the ground and staggered his way to the edge, using the sides to creep his way slowly to the kids.

I smiled, then flew away with a quick kick on the ice. My mind began to follow the wandering of my feet, traveling from one thought to another as fast as the blades of the skates cut into the ice. It was definitely sweet of Woohyun to bring me to the ice rink after us being under the shade of the sun for too long, but I still resent the way he casually lied to me about not knowing where the boys were so he could get a chance to sneak away with me. Sigh. He's such a first-class liar.

I took a glimpse at him holding on to the walkers for dear life as children glided by him, glancing at the hopeless teenager in full humor, then whispering to the neighboring child about him. His embarrassed face made me laugh. But I pouted in mock humor then decided to skate my way over to him to help him through his crisis. I stopped behind the blue bar dividing the bigger side of the rink and the smaller side and leaned on it, laughing loudly at Woohyun.

"Tch." He glared at me then slowly made his way to where I was. "You've got some nerve coming here."

"Well, I did have to see how my protégé was doing." He rolled his eyes.

"You know, I should've practiced more before taking you here. I can't believe how embarrassed I am being here and being the only teenager here."

"I know you, oppa, and I know you haven't practiced one bit."

"Yes, I did!"

I nodded slowly. "Mhm. When? And for how long?"

"Uh..." He glanced up at the ceiling. Then he shrugged. "I don't know. I probably practiced so much that I don't even remember when I did it."

"Aha! Yeah, right!"

"It's true!"

The kids skating past us began to laugh at him. He sulked on the bar and I joined the kids. One of them, a little boy, stopped beside him and grinned at me.

"Hello, noona!" He greeted.

I returned his smile. "Annyeong~" I reached out to slightly ruffle his hair.

"Why are you here?"

"Well," I began, glancing at Woohyun from the corner of my eyes, "I was skating by myself, but I felt bad for my friend here because he's alone and has no friends to talk to."

The little boy closely observed Woohyun. "He looks very pitiful."

I nodded immediately. "Yes, he does."

"But you're too pretty to be here, noona. You should be doing things like them"—he jabbed his finger toward a couple doing spins in the air—"over there." He pulled his hand back. "Can you do that?"

"Hmm... I haven't done that in a while." I smiled at the boy. "But I can try right now." I pushed myself away from the bar and made a half circle around an empty space, then pushing on the ground, I jumped up and made a 360 degree rotation before my feet made contact with the ground and I bent my knees to ensure the landing and stuck my arms out to balance myself. I heard a few claps around me then returned to Woohyun and the boy.

"That was amazing, noona!" He praised. I bowed to them. Woohyun smirked.

"Ah, daebak!" He slapped his hands together. "Cho Ae, you really are talented."

I laughed. "Of course I am! This is why I practice. Practice makes perfect, you know."

He mimicked my words. "Practice makes per—" He stuck his tongue out. "Stop making me feel like a loser."

"You're a loser because you think everything's easy and you don't put any effort to try and challenge what you think is easy when in reality, almost nothing is."

He leaned towards me so that his face was millimeters away from mine. I felt my cheeks redden. He smirked. "Do you want to challenge me, then?"

Despite the rising temperature in my cheeks, I smirked back at him. "Sure, then."

He leaned back. "Well, since I'm no good at skating anyways," he met my eyes, "I challenge you to a game during Hyo Yun noona's party. Whatever game I pick, you have to do it, no excuses."

I smirked again. "Fine, let's do it. But you're at a disadvantage, mister."

"And what is that?"

"I'm helping unnie plan the party, so it is possible that none of the games that you're good in will be considered."

"Then I'll practice at every sport there is out there to ensure my win."

"We'll see."

By now, the little boy should have gotten bored with us and have left to join his friends, but he was standing there with an amazed and sort of inspired look on his face.

"Noona?" He asked, slightly tugging on the sleeve of the jacket Woohyun lent me, completely ignoring Woohyun's presence beside him.

I looked at him. "Yes?"

"Is this mister here your boyfriend?"

I should've expected that question to come up. We've been asked that countless times in our lives that it was practically normal. But this time was different. I don't know if it was because a little boy is asking us, or how out of the blue the question was that it caught the both of us off.

I blinked. Woohyun blinked. My jaw dropped and I was at a lost of words. Suddenly I became shy and refused to look Woohyun directly in the eyes. I swallowed that shyness down and smiled at the boy.

"No, sweetie." I answered softly. My heart felt a tug at the bottom, pulling it towards my stomach. Woohyun's statue remained. "He's not my boyfriend."

 


 

I figured that unexpected events should happen, and even though I knew that, I just couldn't find a way to incorporate any of those in my stories.

I liked how the end of this chapter is the same as the end of the previous one. Mhm, yup.