Meeting With Summer

The Chaser

 

I'm trying to gradually make it flow into the real plot without rushing it too much. (When I finished writing my "notes" after this chapter and scrolled back up to read this one, I realized that I repeated what I said about the "gradually flowing" part at the end. Lol.) Enjoy~

 


 

Tic toc. Tic toc.

It seemed like an eternity had passed in one second and yet here we all were, mannequins posing in our seats. Not one single person would move, in fear that if they do, the clock will stand by, waiting for another chance to catch a glimpse of a live statue.

I sighed softly and slouched on my desk, keeping my eyes fixed on the clock hanging on the white wall directly in front of me.

Why did I have to have this class last? Even the days before breaks were always filled with the static of silence and immobile mannequins.

I glanced at my teacher sitting peacefully in her chair reading an old, classic Korean novel. My eyes then traveled to Hyo Yun sitting two seats behind me in the row next to mine. Her head rested on the palm of her hand and her eyes dazed off into another world. She caught my gaze and averted her eyes to mine. She smiled, then giggled inaudibly and jabbed her finger towards the clock. I followed the invisible line and found that it was now five before three. My lips curled into a smile. Well, at least it's getting there.

I remember the times when the boys would do outrageous things throughout the year, like start a flash mob in the middle of break or lunch, dress in crazy (sometimes cross-dressing) costumes for Halloween or just a random day, come to school wearing only a bathrobe and sunglasses (well, that was Sungyeol, because he lost a bet against the others and that was his punishment), and many, many more.

And today was no different.

 

"YEAH! IT'S THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!"

The familiar voice of my choding rang through the air. Then there was the distinct visual of his ponytail as he sprinted through the halls, followed by the rest of the choding crew.

Then he spotted me. "CHO AE!" He sped towards me as he avoided numerous hit and runs with the people in his way. "YAAAAHHH!" He momentarily halted before me and gripped both my arms. He gave me a psychotic grin and ran off, spraying water from his water gun in every direction.

Myungsoo reached me second. He stopped in front of me and placed his hands on his knees, panting. "Ah, chincha..." He straightened up and his eyes met mine. He smiled. "Annyeong, Cho Ae." He waved with his gun hand.

I waved back awkwardly and opened my mouth, but he cut me off saying, "I'll be right back." And he ran off after Sungyeol.

Hoya was in hot pursuit, stopping once again in front of me. "Ah, Cho Ae. Annyeong."

I tried once again, but he bowed apologetically and darted off.

"Aigoo..." I ruffled my hair. "What are those guys doing?"

"Kyakyakyakya!" The roar of my dinosaur was loud enough to be heard from a mile away as I turned my head to find him galloping like a pony instead of trampling all the humans before him. He landed at the pit stop and widened his eyes at me.

I sighed and pointed to my right. "They all went that way."

"Kamsahamnida, Cho Ae~" He bowed and grinned. As he galloped along, he sung, "Hoya-ssi~"

"YAH, YOU KIDS!" For an eighteen-year-old, he sure can act like a grandpa. It was easy to spot him as he limped by, almost dismissing me before turning his head to flash his signature hamster eyes and smile. "I'm going to kill them~" He announced in a happily, but also creepy, tone, then casually continued on by, shooting out little to no splashes of water.

"Sunggyu-hyung~ I'm going to shoot you down with my heart machine~"

Finally, the person I've been waiting for who will give me the answers I need today.

"Neh, Cho Ae," he started, smirking as he stopped in front of me, "would you like to receive my hearts today?"

I rolled my eyes. "I always receive your hearts, oppa."

He grinned. "Well, here's more~" He lifted his arms up to form a heart and threw millions of them at me.

"Chincha~" I shook my head in embarrassment. Then I smiled. "Kamsahamnida."

He continued to grin.

My brows furrowed. "Why aren't you still running?"

He chuckled. "Ah, Sungjong is so far behind, I can spare time to spend with you."

"What are you guys even doing?"

"Ah," he held up his water gun, "this? Well, we were given a member's poster and they were our target that we have to kill. We also had to find ink ammunition and water guns all over the school. It was difficult figuring out the order of who we had to kill. But, as you can see, we've got it, so now it's down to the chase."

I nodded slowly. "Ah, interesting. So Sungjong has to kill you, you have to kill Sunggyu-oppa, he has to kill Dongwoo-oppa, he has to kill Hoya-oppa, Hoya-oppa has to kill Myungsoo-oppa, Myungsoo-oppa has to kill Sungyeol-oppa, and Sungyeol-oppa has to kill Sungjong?"

"Neh~ You catch on fast, Cho Ae~" He embraced me and stepped back to check his surroundings. "I better get going, Sungjong's going to catch up soon. I'll see you after school!" He winked then ran off. As soon as he was out of sight, Sungjong appeared.

"Ah, Cho Ae noona..." He panted, nearly giving up his chase. "Have you seen Woohyun-hyung?"

I giggled and leaned toward him, holding my book to the side of my face. "Yes, I have. He went"—I held up my free hand to point to my right—"that way." I pulled back and held my finger to my lips. "But shh, don't tell him I told you, okay?"

His spirit to kill rekindled and he held up his fist. "Kamsahamnida, noona. I knew I could count on you! Wish me luck!"

I held up my fist. "Sungjong, fighting!"

He grinned, bowed, then ran off.

"YAH, LEE SUNGJONG! THIS TIME YOU WILL DIE!" Ah, Sungyeol...

 

That happened during lunch. They were all fortunate enough to not get more than a scolding from the teachers for making a complete mess of the school. I now understand why they looked so busy during break, so they could prepare for the ultimate water gun fight. Ah, I am so lucky I wasn't involved, I had to keep my current outfit stain-free and intact.

1028a3b7.png

I have a business meeting after school today.

"Cho Ae~" Hyo Yun's voice peeked through my thoughts. "Cho Ae!" My head turned to face her. She grinned and pointed at the clock again. Looking back, there was just a few seconds left before the bell will ring. I glanced at everyone around me. They were more tense as they all gritted their teeth and stared intently at the legs of the clock dancing towards its end. The countdown begins.

10...

9...

8...

I tapped my fingernails on the desk.

7...

6...

5...

I bit down my lip.

4...

3...

2...

My eyes practically bulged out of my eyelids.

One...

I took a breath in and held it.

RIIING!

Screams immediately filled the entire school until we were joining them.

I jumped out of my seat and rushed over to Hyo Yun, who pulled me into a tight squeeze with her slim arms.

"Ah, Cho Ae! We've been waiting for this since the beginning of the year!"

"I know! And it's finally here!"

She giggled and pulled back. "Are you ready?"

I shrugged. "As ready as I'll ever be!" We linked arms and followed the wave of students flowing out of the classroom and breaking out on the shore. Once we were out in the open, I found our entourage.

"Cho Ae!" Woohyun was the first to greet me and Hyo Yun. "You two made it out safe." He nudged my arm and laughed.

"Ah, Woohyun-ssi." Hyo Yun punched his arm. "It was so boring in there! Do you know how quiet it was? Cho Ae and I were suffering!" She stomped in her place and tilted her head back.

Woohyun snorted. "You survived." She gave him a dirty look and he returned it. Then he turned to me. "So where do you want to go?"

"Cho Ae"—Hyo Yun pulled me closer to her—"will be coming with me to our parents' company and not with you."

"Ah, chincha." He lowered his head and narrowed his eyes at her. "Yah. Look after her, okay?"

She smiled. "Don't worry your little boy-ish head." She ruffled his hair then pushed his head down. "And don't talk to me so informally!"

"Yah!" He held his head in his hand. She lifted up her hand. "Yes! Yes, noona..." He groaned softly.

For cousins, they sure act like they're siblings.

 

----

 

Lee Kim Corporation. One of the most powerful and influential entrepreneurial businesses in South Korea that is owned by my parents and Hyo Yun unnie's parents. They collaborate with the top music companies like SM, YG, and more. Usually I wouldn't visit often, the main reason being because of school, but today I was secretly hoping Hyo Yun unnie would take me. Since we're going to be seniors next school year, I need to get my priorities straight, and what I really want to do in life is

"Cho Ae!"

I whirled around and faced my mother, who greeted me with open arms and a very wide smile. "Annyeong, umma."

She pulled away and examined my entire figure. "Ah, I'm not used to seeing you here. Where's Woohyun?"

"He and the boys are at home."

Her eyes widened. "Alone?"

I nodded. "Yes, umma, alone."

"Ah..." She held her palm to her forehead. "I'm worried."

"Umma~ I told them to be careful this time. I even made everything child-proof!"

"Chincha?"

I smiled. "De! Everything all bubble wrapped and sharp things smoothed out."

"Good job!" She placed her hand on my cheek. "Come now," she took my hand in hers and began to lead me down the hallway, "there is a guest that we'd like you to see."

We walked until we reached the double doors leading into one of the main conference rooms in the building. A muffle conversation could be heard from the opposite side of the doors. Mom opened the right door with no warning. Instantly the conversation was cut short.

Five individuals were seated on the endless beige table in the ballroom-sized conference room. Hyo Yun, her parents, and my father on one side, and a man in a very nicely tailored suit on the other. The projector screen across the room was pulled up for today and all the lights were on.

Hyo Yun grinned and patted the vacant seat next to hers. "Cho Ae!" She motioned with her hand to come.

I took a quick glance at the man before bowing in his direction and scurrying to Hyo Yun's side as my mom did the same with my dad. "Annyeonghaseyo." I lifted my head to make eye contact with him. He looked familiar.

"Cho Ae." The man nodded. He had a slight stubble and looked around his mid to late forties. "I am sure we have acquainted ourselves in the past and I have just been informed by your mother that you will be entering your last year in high school. You know how long we've all been waiting for this day and we are well aware of how talented you are. I would like to tell you more, but I am afraid I won't get the chance to say it first." He chuckled softly and glanced at my parents who were grinning like they were reliving the day I was born. He cleared his throat and straightened his posture in the chair. "As I was saying..."

My mouth dropped. Of course I had no recollection of the day I was born, but my facial expression said otherwise as he said, "I would like you to debut under my company as an actress."

 


 

It took me quite a while because, as you can see, this chapter is pretty lengthy compared to the previous ones, I guess. I'm glad that it's longer though, there are a lot of things to think about future chapters from here.

I enjoy including some INFINITE puns in here, they're actually very entertaining and give me a laugh when I relate the puns to INFINITE.