The Very "Normal" Day

She's A Killer!
I walked up the stairs to the short building that I had applied to work at just a week earlier. It had only been 2 weeks since I landed in Seoul and I was already working, I bet my appa would be so proud of me. I bet he’ll be so proud about what I really was doing in Seoul also. I opened the glass door and was greeted with a warm welcome from the waitress walking pass by with an order on her carrying tray.
“Annyeong haseyo. Please find a seat and one of our waiters will be with you a just a second.” She said before placing the tray on a table and serving the costumers.
“Actually, I’m here to meet Jung Jin Woo.”
“Ah… Jinchayo?” She takes a second look at me and after a few seconds she finally spoke again. “You don’t really look like a waitress. Are you his new girlfriend?”
“Bwollago? Girlfriend?”
“Aish. Nevermind. He’s in his office in the back. Just past the restrooms to your right.” She grabs the tray and walks away a little annoyed.
‘What the heck is your problem?’ I head towards the direction she gave me and found the office right where she said it would be. I knock slightly at the door and hear a voice from the other side.
“Come in.”
“Annyeong hasaeyo. My name is In Sung Hwa. You called me about my employment.” I said walking in and taking a seat across from him.
“Ah yes.” He looks up from his papers, and scans my face as I do his. He had a pretty sharp face. His eyes were small and held much authority but still had a charm to it. His nose was high and complimented his cheekbones quite nicely. And when he smiles, his thin lips curves snuggly over his perfect teeth. “Wow. You definitely look different in life.”
“Excuse me?”
“Nothing. I was just saying that you look different in the picture.”
“Ah! That? Yes. I took it while I was still in Japan. I’ve only been here a few weeks.” I explained.
“Aha. You’re a very serious person I see. That’s definitely a relief.” He puts his papers down and stands up. “Let’s show you around shall we?”
I stand up and follow him the way I had just come not a few minutes earlier. We walked in at the right time because the last costumer had just left the shop and it won’t be long before more costumers make their ways in.
“Everyone, this is In Sung Hwa. She is new to Seoul, and South Korea as a whole. Please take good care of her.” Jin Woo says gesturing towards me.
“Annyeong hasaeyo. I’m In Sung Hwa.” I said bowing.
“Alright. Sung Hwa will be working as the assistant Barista, and will fill in as a waitress if needed. That is all. Everyone can go back to work. Please don’t burn down my building now.” Jin Woo leaves with a smile on his face, and pats me on the back. I catch a glance of the waitress from earlier and she wasn’t happy. I guess she had that thing everyone called a “one-sided” love thing going on with Jin Woo. I hold in a chuckle.
“Hi! I’m Park Yoo Ji. I’m the youngest one here so can I call you Unni?” She looked like a high school girl. Maybe her junior or senior year. She had the cute persona like every main girl in a drama has. But she had an innocence that I couldn’t help but think about how much danger she may attract as soon as she leaves the door of her house or wherever.
“Ummm… sure. Why not?” I said looking and analyzing everything about this place. It was actually much neater than most of the cafés I’ve ever been in. It had the same color table and chair sets. Four along either side of the brick walls, and two along the windows. And then there was a large sit-in area on the right side, and a few other table and chair sets on the other. It was very neutrally colored. Very down to earth.
“Sung Hwa Unni, I’ll introduce the others to you.” Yoo Ji takes my arm and drags me to the counter. “That’s Ahn Min Joo. She’s the lead Barista.”
Ahn Min Joo was a middle-aged woman. She was a tall person, with a short wavy haircut. She smiled slightly as she sees me looking at her. She probably has 3 or 4 kids. Her eyes were big but tired and worn out, but her ambition tells her otherwise.
“It’s nice to meet you.” I said bowing down respectfully to this elder.
“Likewise. But you don’t have to talk so formally to me. I’m just an older sister right?” She says jokingly.
“Ahjumma~!” Yoo Ji says teasingly. They share a small laughter as I studied the other workers.
‘Kang Ki Woon’. Waiter. Tall and built. He’s probably a competitive college athlete. Has a fiancée. And a lot more stress than he deserves to have on his shoulders. His buzzed cut showed all of the wrinkles that already starting to show on his forehead. He had a medium tan that made him look tough.
‘Lee Hyun Seul’. He was a very skinny person. His pale skin is emphasized by his dark bowl haircut. He had dull features but they all made him look very girly. His dark brown eyes were hidden behind his huge heavy glasses. He probably struggles with his self-image and self-esteem.
‘Jang Tae Woo’. He was the lead chef. He was middle-aged also. He looked like he had been in the army for far too long. He had a few scars on his neck and face. He also had a scar running down his left arm. Even though he had all these frightened scars, I found him as a very peaceful guy. He has that vibe that makes people want to talk to him. His smile is never wiped of his face. He’s just another guy enjoying life.
‘Joo Ha Na’ The waitress from earlier. She had a slanted bob cut that made her image look very chic. She had medium brown hair that complimented her fair skin. She was a very pretty girl, with a wicked attitude. If she sets eyes on something she wants, she’ll do anything she can to get it. Her glare she sent me confirmed my thoughts perfectly. She obviously likes President Jung Jin Woo a lot. I don’t know why she would hate me though. I’m not even trying to steal anything from her. She’s definitely someone to stay away from.
‘Bo Hee Jung’ She’s probably Joo Ha Na’s side kick. She’s been switching glances between Ha Na and I for the last few minutes. She’s probably just a year or two older than Yoo Ji. Barely mature yet. She isn’t much though. She lives her life trying to please others and I have a feeling she won’t grow out of that anytime soon. Her huge eyes, tiny nose and mouth definitely gave her that doll look that many people would die to have. And her long wavy hair definitely emphasized this.
“Unni!” Yoo Ji says pulling at my arm again. “Come on! Let me introduce you to our assistant chef. He’s out on his break out back. Come on!”
We head towards the back and into the alley. I saw someone standing smoking a cigarette leaning up against the wall. He was a tall and slim person. He had a slight built and his facial features were pretty similar to Jin Woo’s. The small eyes, high nose, slim cheekbones. Yes, very similar indeed. I’m guessing he’s the heart-breaker kind-of guy.
“Oppa! We have a new employee.” Yoo Ji says running up to him. “She’s from Japan.”
“Cool.” He continues smoking. Interesting, he’s a very laid back kind-of person also. “Hey! When you go on break don’t come out here alone alright?” He finishes his cigarette, and heads inside.
“I didn’t introduce you guys yet though.” Yoo Ji’s stare follows him.
“I don’t care.”
“But-” She doesn’t get to finish her sentence before he’s already inside the door closes behind him.
“What was that all about?” I asked a little annoyed.
“Aha! It’s just how he is. Don’t think too much about it.” Disappointment hung on her voice. “Okay. Well we got to get back to work. Let’s go!”
We make out way inside and started on our own tasks. I stood next to Min Joo as she teaches me how to make a good Americano. After a few trials, I finally got it down.
“You’re a fast learner. And you’re really good with your hands.” Min Joo hands the drink to one of the costumers. “Maybe in a few months or so you can work with Tae Woo ssi in the kitchen.”
“Um. Yeah.” Well I actually wasn’t planning on staying that long. I just needed to get my things done and I’ll be on my way.
I spent the rest of the day learning how to make a variety of drinks and making designs in the drinks. It was a very normal day I guess. No martial arts class, no visits to the firing range, no 100 feet cliff to climb. Yehp. A very “normal” day indeed.
~~~~~~~
hehe. hi! I know it's not much, but I'm hoping you guys can pick up on Sung Hwa's personality. And habits. lol. well yeah. I hope you guys like it! Leave comments for me to read. :P Will Update ASAP.