First Meeting

It's A Love/Hate Relationship

I sighed as I skimmed through the title of the articles on the Kpop news forum. There was absolutely nothing I was interested in. Everything was new groups this, new groups that. I missed the times when there were only about 10 groups in the industry. Not 50.

I continued to scroll through the titles without interest. Upon seeing the name “SM Entertainment” I paused for a bit.

“SM Entertainment Releases EXO’s 14th Teaser Featuring Kai.”

I twitched at the sight of his name. “Kai.” EVERYTHING WAS ABOUT KAI. I swore I saw his name pop up at least 100 times in the last 2 weeks. Kai this, Kai that. Who the hell was Kai anyways?! Why do they say he’s so great? I’m so tired of him and frankly, I never even saw his face yet. Just the sound of his name ticked me off.

Just as I gave up looking for any remotely interesting news on the site, my doorbell rang. I quickly turned off the computer and grabbed my bag before heading towards the door.

“Good morning!” Ji Eun greeted with her usual smile, “Ready to go?”

I nodded and said goodbye to my single mother before heading out for a full day of shopping. We headed to Myeongdong Centre. There, we began looking at random clothes and accessories. We bought a pair of shoes each before heading towards the clothing stores.

“Yoonae, did you find anything?” Ji Eun asked as approached me with an arm full of clothes. I shook my head in response. “I’m heading for the change rooms first then! Wait for me alright?”

“Sure. I’ll be looking around here anyways.” I said. When she left, I continued to look around absentmindedly at the clothes on the rack. For some reason, nothing caught my attention that day.

I grabbed a pair of jeans that seemed decent for a good price and headed towards the changeroom. Just as I was about to enter an empty one, a loud “LOOK OUT!” came from behind me.

I turned around, stunned to see a tall figure heading right on towards me. He pushed me into the changeroom and locked the door behind him.

“WHAT THE HE-” I started but was unable to finish as a giant hand came over my mouth.

I glared at the figure in front of me, his intense eyes bore into mine as he tried to catch his breath.

“Sorry about this. I...” Before he was even able to continue, a loud outburst of female voices rang outside the stall.

“Where is he?”
“Where did he go?”
“Oppa!”

The voices lasted for a good 2 minutes before they started to fade as they scattered somewhere else.

The mystery man dropped to the floor beside me. He leaned his head back on the wall and took in deep breaths, finally calming his nerves.

“Who are you?” I asked, out of instinct. He stared at me weirdly for a bit before he attempted to stand up. I heard a painful groan before he sat back down again. I stared at him for a bit as he rolled the bottom of his sweat pants up and checked out his ankle. I took a quick glance at it and it seemed swollen, so immediately, my maternal instincts kicked in.

“Hey, are you okay?” I asked in a softer tone.

“Yeah, I-” He paused for a moment and then it almost seemed like he realized something extremely important. “I have to go.”

I reached down a bit to try to help him up but he stood and practically ran out with a limp in his foot.

“I was just trying to help...”I mumbled. “Rude.”

I reached down to pick up the jeans that have just fallen on the floor and realized there was a cellular device beside it. I picked it up, realizing it must have been the other person’s and opened the changeroom doors to look for him, but he was long gone.

“Who is this guy?” I asked myself as I the home page. There was a lock on the home page, but I could see the background photo without problem.

“I never knew you got a new phone.” I jumped at the sound of my friend’s voice behind me. “Or that you were a Kai fan.”

“It’s not mine.” I mumbled as I was busy inspecting the photo on the front. “He’s kinda good looking.”

I paused for a second as the words she said just sunk in.

“Kai?!”