Friends? The hell...

Ask me 1997 나한테 물어봐

Do Hakchan, Bang Sungjae, Kang Junhee and Yoon Yoonjae. The gang of boys were all gathered at Sungjae's house. Junhee, being the only resourceful one, bought ramyun to eat and share... and being the only one that does housework well, he ended up cooking it. With his large headphones on his ears connected to a walkman, he listens to his favorite tune while the water boils and the noodles begin to cook. He's focused on the noodles and the music he can't seem to hear Yoonjae.

"Don't tear the egg," said Yoonjae. But Junhee didn't budge.

Yoonjae walked up to Junhee, pulled out one of the headphones and whispered, "I told you not to tear the egg..." and smiled slyly. 

He walked back to the other guys after but Junhee could only stare at the back walking away from him. How much longer will Junhee only look at his best friend's back and wonder if there's any chance at all?

♥ ♥ 

The past few days, Junhee has been avoiding Yoonjae. Not directly, but in a subtle way. Usually, Yoonjae would sit beside Junhee as a habit. However, these days, Junhee would go and sit beside Siwon. During break time, Junhee would go to the library instead of hang out with everyone. 

The day before Siwon's birthday party, Junhee walked home alone. He heard rushing footsteps behind him. He was then wedged between an arm-lock and tried pulling himself away from the person. He then turned his head to view the person attacking him and it was Yoonjae, the person he's been avoiding for the last few days.

"Yoonjae..."

"Hey, man! Why'd you go home so early?"

"Well...I just..."

"Don't you think it's too early to go home?"

"I usually go home at this time though..."

"But it's Siwon's birthday!"

'Ah... Siwon. Of course.' Junhee thought. He's used to Yoonjae's obvious feelings for Siwon but recently, Junhee's been getting tired of the usual "It's okay I'm here for you" speeches.

"What do you want me to do?" Junhee asked, in annoyance.

"We could go shopping together."

"I thought you already bought her a gift."

Yoonjae slowly removed his arm from Junhee's shoulder. The former coughed loudly, "Well, Ha-Have you picked out a gift for her then?"

"I was thinking about--"

"Save it! We're going shopping together!"

"Huh??"

♥ ♥ 

While at the store, Yoonjae had his arm around Junhee's shoulder. The two top students walked around so close together that it would be easy to assume they were dating, or at least super duper best friends--looking at the little to no space they left for each other. Some ahjummas were giving them dirty looks, others were giving them looks of affection.

"You two are so handsome" one commented.

The two students smiled and bowed to the ahjumma selling spicy fishcake. Before the two passed her by, the ahjumma handed them a cup with two sticks. 

"I heard a lot about you two being top students... here, you take this. It's on the house!"

"Really? Thank you!" "Thank you very much!" The two bowed to the ahjumma once more before munching on the delicious fishcake dipped in thick, red sauce. 

After their delightful snack, the two enter a cute stationary store. Junhee walked around and he found a nice blank placard which Siwon could easily decorate with hearts and pictues of her favorite group H.O.T. Junhee thought it would be a nice gift and decided to buy it. He purchased the placard with some extra colorful pens and left the store. He looked around and Yoonjae was nowhere to be seen. A sudden chill on his cheek surprised him. To his surprise, it's Yoonjae with two cans of cola.

The two decided to rest at a nearby park. They sit on the swings, drinking their cans as the day falls. The orange color faded to a thick blanket of dark violet. The two sit in silence, something the two were uncomfortable with. They felt... awkward.

"Uhm... Junhee-yah..."

"Hm?"

"You... know my brother likes Siwon, too, right?"

'Again... about Siwon', Junhee thought. However, looking at the distressed look on Yoonjae's face, Junhee wanted to be supportive and comfort his friend although inside he was burning with jealousy.

"What should I do?" Yoonjae asked.

Junhee was silent. He didn't know how to answer. He was never in the same situation as Yoonjae. Liking your childhood best friend and later finding out your own brother also likes the same girl. This kind of thing only happens in dramas, doesn't it? 

"I'm sorry, Yoonjae-yah... I can't help you. You need to figure this out on your own." Junhee stood up. "I'm going home. I'll see you tomorrow."

Junhee left the still distressed Yoonjae at the swings. The former wanted to help out his best friend but the fight with feelings happens with one's self. Junhee wouldn't be of much help. Besides... his own heart was hurting.

♥ ♥ 

The day of Siwon's birthday party. The gang's last day as a group. High school was over. They were all headed for their own paths for college. In the karaoke room, there was an air of awkwardness. Yoojung is upset with Hakchan because of the latter's decision to study abroad and not telling Yoojung about it until the last minute. Then there's the heavy air between Siwon and Yoonjae. Because Siwon received a heartfelt confession for Taewoong, Yoonjae's brother. And Yoonjae was one step too late from confessing to Siwon.

But when the room cleared out and it was only Yoonjae and Siwon left... there was only one thing they could talk about.

"I LIKE YOU!" 

Yoonjae blurted out the words he's been wanting to say for the past 4 years of his high school life (and probably the last 10 years counting his childhood). 

"Yoonjae-yah, can’t we just be comfortable friends, like before? As you said, we’ve always been together, from the day we were born. I’m not so smart… you know that… but I do know that you are the most important friend I have in the world. You’ll still be my friend, right?"

Yoonjae could only stare back at Siwon. Siwon's words had the most cruel request in the world. His hands were numb, his face was frozen. Only his eyes were moving, and it was filling up with tears. He tried covering up the pain by saying his final words.

"A guy emptying out what’s in here, to the girl he likes? It means I have no intention of seeing you ever again."

Yoonjae placed his gift to Siwon on the table. "Throw it away," He told her. He stood up and walked towards the door. Before leaving, his final words pierced Siwon like an arrow to a target.

"Friends? The hell..."

♥ ♥ 

COMING SOON...

♥ ♥ 

AUTHOR'S NOTES

I hope you enjoyed this new chapter!

I'm sorry the new update took so long. I had the idea ready but I didn't feel like writing it for some reason. It seemed difficult because this is the final chapter I'll actually relate the story to Reply 1997 the drama. After this chapter, we're zooming towards the development of Junhee's story. 

From this point on, you need to forget about the drama Reply 1997. If I make any loopholes, you'll need to forgive me for it. I won't remind everyone again so hopefully I don't get hate comments that the story is not what you wanted;; I'm not writing this as if it's a side drama... this will be an entirely new one now. I hope everyone understands... and enjoys it at least ^^~

If you want to know what will happen next. Please watch the video after "COMING SOON..." because that's where Chapter 8 will begin. It's after college, the boys are working. They're adults at this time. The mature content will be coming soon too. BE PREPARED~!

~COMMENT. SUBSCRIBE. UPVOTE~