The reason I like you?

Ask me 1997 나한테 물어봐

"Yah! It's been a while since we've all gone out! This is awesome!" Bang Sungjae yelled out at the top of his lungs once the group entered in the dance club.

"If you don't shut that big mouth of yours, the whole town can hear you!" Siwon shouted back with sass. She stuck her tongue out to friend; he did the same. Everyone just laughed and went off to find a table. In an instant, Sungjae--being the sociable noisemaker that he was--walked towards any attractive girl he saw to chat them up. 

As soon as the group of friends sat down, the lights went off and stage lights . Someone was about to perform. When the group heard the loud music play, they focused on the dancer.

Yoojung, with her almond-shaped eyes, could see from a mile away who the dancer on stage was. "Isn't that Junhee? It's Junhee! IT'S JUNHEE!! KYAAAAAH~" Everyone smiled and cheered for their friend. 

Junhee danced with such power. Everyone screamed. The girls screamed louder. 

Junhee moved his arms with smooth transition, his legs steadily moved one after another and his body followed the music perfectly. His performance was flawless. When he did his final pose, he smiled at his friends. But he smiled to only one person. Yoon Yoonjae. What made Junhee happiest was that Yoonjae smiled back and cheered him on. The former could feel his heart throb again. How much more did he have to endure with his secret?

♥ ♥ 

After putting back on his school unfirom and dark blue long coat, Junhee stepped out of the dance club only to be greeted by his screaming friends Yoojung and Siwon. The two girls spazzed over him and linked arms with him, wide smiles and interest drooling all over.

Yoojung screamed with all her fangirl might, "Kang Junhee! I didn't know how cool you are!" The two girls exchanged the same compliments over and over, how Junhee's danced so cooly and was the best. With Siwon even saying, "Hey, let's date" and making a giggle afterwards. The two then had a little fight that the other should date Junhee. 

Junhee then showed off his new branded bag which he was able to win from the dance. All his friends were impressed, all Junhee could was smile with pride. He even showed off his money and wanted to treat his friends. 

Yoonjae suggested they all drink Soju but Junhee, being the careful student that he is, didn't want to put them into any sort of trouble.

Yoojung apologized in advanced, saying she and Hakchan had something to do. Junhee was a bit disappointed but everyone knew those two had a thing and it wouldn't be long before something went on. He let it slide. Siwon went on blabbing about how neither of them knew the feeling of being with someone.

Well, whatever. At least he would be together with his two best friends.

"Let's go" Junhee said.

"I have an appointment," Siwon interrupted.

"What appointment?" Junhee asked. At that moment, Siwon's cellphone rang. The cellphone which Yoon Taewoong, Yoonjae's older brother, gifted to Siwon. The two started meeting each other recently.

"I'll see you at school!" before Siwon left, she grabbed Junhee by the shoulders and whispered in his ear, "Do well on your date." And she ran off, skipping. 

Junhee could only smile. Siwon was kind, her intentions were good. He knew what she had planned, inside he wanted to thank her. "Let's go then" Junhee looked at Yoonjae who was staring blankly into space.

"Hey, Yoon Yoonjae?" Junhee waved his hand in front of his face. 

"Hm? What?"

"Let's just go home. It's not fun. Everyone left."

Yoonjae snickered, "But I want to eat. Let's go. We can go on a date"

Junhee felt his heart skip a beat as Yoonjae put his arm over the former's shoulder. If it weren't for their brisk walk, Yoonjae would have probably noticed Junhee's expression change and slight turn of pink. Thank goodness for the bad lighting or else his secret would have been found out. 

Yet, Junhee thought about it. What if he had just straight out confessed. Wouldn't that just ease the pain?

♥ ♥ 

That weekend, Junhee and Yoonjae spent the evening playing basketball at one of the courts near their area. When the two took a break, Yoonjae blabbed about what to get for Siwon's birthday that was coming up soon. By the sound of it, Junhee's crush on Siwon hadn't faded and it didn't sound like it was going to fade any time soon. His heart had been hit by these bullets for a long time already.

"Hey... why do you like Siwon?" Yoonjae asked. Junhee wasn't even clearly listening until he heard the question. His heart had already been stabbed by the constant talk of Siwon, Yoonjae even wanted to ask such a ridiculous question? Where did he even get that ide--oh. At the motel when they applied for the Air Force. Junhee didn't answer Yoonjae straight forwardly that time, the latter must have mistaken it for a yes. 

Junhee collected his thoughts and looked at Yoonjae eye-to-eye, "I don't like Siwon..." Yoonjae's face looked confused. "I don't like Siwon," Junhee repeated. "I like someone else."

Yoonjae's curiosity peaked and he seemed very interested to know now. Was it because he had one less competition to win Siwon's heart? Or... was it... for another reason?

"Who?" he asked.

Junhee bit his lip. He went back and forth with his answer. To tell or not to tell. Was it right to tell? Junhee looked at Yoonjae again, with seriousness in his eyes. It was now or never.

"You."

Junhee could feel cement blocks hit him hard. With the way Yoonjae was looking at him, there was no way he could lie his way out of the confession. What could he say? 'Oh I'm kidding I actually don't like you. I'm no homo.' As if that would work.

Yoonjae's mind went completely blank. Half of him thought it was true, other half thought it was a practical joke. Every memory he had of Junhee now was tainted with images of Junhee liking him. 'When did it start? Why me? What will happen to our friendship?It never occured to him that Junhee was gay. He wasn't surprised. Or maybe he was. He didn't know how to take the confession at this point. He knew only one thing that could make it go away.

"AYSH, YOU CRAZY BASTARD!" Yoonjae then playfully hit Junhee on the head. "Nevermind, you ! I'm not curious! Not curious anymore! Your serious face made me belive you--OH YOU CRAZY BASTARD! You surprised me." Yoonjae took a sip of his drink.

"It's true. I like you."

"STOP IT ALREADY, YOU CRAZY...HAHA"

Junhee was disappointed with the reaction but it wasn't like he was expecting an open arm embrace after that. He was glad though. Seeing as how Yoonjae felt the friendship was more important, Junhee couldn't help but fall more deep in love. It was going to be a problem later, but now he just wanted to enjoy Yoonjae's company. 

♥ ♥ 

“The reason I like you? Because you’re that person. Because you’re you. Is there another reason besides that one? I’d rather know the reason if there was one. Then I could find a way to not like you. If I can’t avoid it, then there’s only one thing I want: to remain by your side, unchanged, for long time. Here’s to our love, that chills our hearts.” - Kang Junhee

♥ ♥ 

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Hello there!

I know this chapter is kind of quick, skipping a lot of details but I had to do it. I'm not focusing on Siwon's story or Yoojung's story but Junhee's. We know how very limited Junhee's story is. That's why ASK ME 1997 was created. It's the AU where Junhee gets to be the star and his feelings get to be shown. This is how I viewed everything so... yep.

!ATTENTION!

The next chapters will be stear away from Reply 1997's plotline and I'll go right ahead to mine. It will correlate in a way, but very subtle. I know everyone likes how I combine the original story with mine but the next chapter will really be different and mature. We know Junhee is innocent but you got to taste a bit of badboy Junhee in the previous chapter. You're going to get the full course meal from now on. :) Be prepared!

COMMENT!~ SUBSCRIBE!~ UPVOTE!~