Do you...like someone?

Ask me 1997 나한테 물어봐

"How long has Junhee been jogging?" Yoojung asked Siwon, both girls sitting at the bench watching Junhee kick the sand below him as he jogged around their sandy school field. Siwon replied with a simple shrug. For the past few weeks, Junhee had been jogging before and after school. 

Bang Sungjae, the class clown, joined in the girls' conversation. "Isn't Junhee applying for some academy or something?"

"Is he?" Yoojung asked.

 "Ah! That's right! He said he wants to join the Air Force Academy afer graduating!" Siwon exclaimed.

"Really? Wow."

 ♥ ♥ 

Junhee dropped to the golden, sandy ground below him. His eyes closed and mouth opened to take in as much air as he could. Sweating profusely and panting hard, interrupted by a sudden cold sensation on his left cheek. His eyes popped open to see it was a soda can. He grabbed the can and sat upright. Yoonjae then sat beside him. Whenever Yoonjae came even a centimeter near him, Junhee's heart pounded heavily like it was about to burst out of his chest.

"How's your training?" Yoonjae asked.

"It's okay..."

There was awkward silence. Junhee knew why. Weeks before, he had hugged Siwon after Korea's victory match against Japan. Junhee thought that Yoonjae's mood swing was due to that incident. But it wasn't likely it would be brought up.

"Next week is already the Air Force test. Are you ready?"

"Not really. I'm not confident I'll get in," Junhee said.

"Are you kidding me? You're smart, athletic and ready! Be like me."

"Like what? Arrogant? Self-centered? Crazy?"

Yoonjae smacked Junhee on the back of the head and locked him under his arm. "What did you say? What did you say?"

Junhee tried pulling out from Yoonjae's grasp. Both of them were strong, good contenders for the Air Force.

♥ ♥ 

Junhee and Yoonjae arrived at the motel where they were to spend a night. Their Air Force academy test was the next day. It consisted of a physical examination then a one-on-one interview. Junhee sat on the bed reading the sample questions that were expected to be asked during the interview segment of their test. He was partly nervous.

Yoonjae arrived at the room, a towel over his head. He had just finished showering.

"What are you doing?"

Junhee looked up and answered with a smile, "Just practicing for the test. Want to help?"

"Sure."

Being the intellectual genius that he is, Junhee answered every question thrown at him correctly. He answered with such grace and confidence that Yoonjae was impressed. But a question lingered in Yoonjae's mind and without sparing a second thought he asked, "Do you...like someone?"

Junhee looked confused. "There is a question like that?"

"Uh... Y-Yeah, there is. So... Do you like someone?"

Junhee thought it was an opportunity to reveal his true feelings. Maybe... just maybe, there was a part of Yoonjae that liked Junhee more than just a close friend.

Junhee answered the question with a solid, "Yes." His stature stayed the same, back straight and face forward.

Yoonjae focused on Junhee closely as he asked the following question, "Is it someone I know?"

Junhee took a deep breath and said, "Yes."

The final question came.

"Is it Sung Siwon?"

Junhee didn't expect this. Was Yoonjae only worried about Siwon being liked by someone else? Yoonjae is Siwon's best friend after all. Junhee couldn't compete with that kind of status. The former realized he had no chance and revealing his feelings now would be useless.

"I'm gonna take a shower now," Junhee left Yoonjae cold. No answer meant many things to Yoonjae. Did it mean Junhee likes Siwon? Did it mean Junhee likes someone else? Yoonjae had many more questions in his mind. Yet, he was also questioning himself. 

'Why does Junhee affect me so much?'

♥ ♥ 

Junhee came back from the shower, Yoonjae had already fallen asleep. The former quietly sat down on his side of the bed and lied down. He turned his head to face the sleeping Yoonjae beside him. He scanned every part of the latter's face; from his thick brows, small nose to his luscious lips. He wanted to curl up beside him and wrap Yoonjae in his arms but he knew he shouldn't. Although he was so close to Yoonjae, he felt so distant. 

His eyes gave in and he fell asleep. Their bodies were mere centimeters away.


Unknown by the other, their hearts were just as close and feelings mutual.

♥ ♥ 

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

I sincerely apologize to all the "Ask Me 1997" fans that have waited and waited for an update and I couldn't deliver. As a gift to everyone that has supported my fic ever since it was created, I give you this new chapter. I know I'm not a consistent author. I don't update regularly and I have no plans to update regularly but I want you to know that I'm not stopping this fic.

ASK ME 1997 is my fantasy world. It's my alternate universe to REPLY 1997 which is my favorite Korean drama of all time. Us Yoonjae/Junhee fans need a place to fulfill our OTP desires.

Please keep commenting! Please keep pushing me to write this fanfic. 

UP-voting the fic would be nice, too :3

I will do my best!