Your very own horror movie

Hey! I Want You Back!

 

“______.  Care to explain to me why we’re doing this?”

You and Yin were just 4 rows away from where Lay and Mei Hua were sitting. The two of you sat low on your seats so that you wouldn’t blow your cover.   

“You told me we’re going to watch a movie… not spy on your ex-boyfriend and her new flame!”

You covered shut with your hand to stop her from attracting attention.

“Shush. If they find out we’re here. We’re gonna die of humiliation. Do you want that to happen?!” you fiercely whispered to her, and looked to see if the love birds heard you.

They did not.

You breathed out a sigh of relief.                

Yin yanked your hand away from .  “Correction,_____. You mean to say 'you'. I refuse to do this. You won’t even give me any explanation! We look ridiculous!” She made a move to stand but you grabbed her shoulders to keep her in place. Good thing your current position is surrounded by unoccupied seats, or the two of you would’ve been receiving complaints by now.

“Yin… I’m your bestfriend. That’s enough for you to stay with me. ”

“Why are you even doing this? You’re the one who broke up with him.”

You were silenced. Her question got you thinking. Yes, why are you even wasting your time here? Why do you want to do this?

You have no answer.

You didn’t know why you were feeling the need to do this.

“I don’t know. I just feel like doing this, okay? I just want to see how happy he really is now with his new girlfriend, so I could move on with a light heart. Satisfied?”

She just gave you a sceptical look.

You ignored her and turned your attention back to the two sickeningly good-looking couple. You hate to admit it but the two were currently looking like a match made in heaven. If Lay wasn’t the guy, you would’ve been awed by this couple.

But then, it was Lay...

Now, you were just busy trying to find out anything negative about Mei Hua. You were intent on digging dirt! You were intent on hating her.

 

 

Earlier during the first few minutes into the movie, the two were behaving appropriately. They were keeping their body parts in their respective space. In short, no heart attacks for you.

Now that it was nearing halfway into the movie, you saw Lay creeping his arms on top of Mei Hua’s seat. It stayed there for a few minutes before it slowly, ever so slowly moved and landed on Mei Hua’s shoulders.

You felt your eyes bulging out.

You were expecting this to happen. Skinship was only natural for those who were dating. But it was still different when the scene you envisioned in your mind, unfolds right before your eyes!

Mei Hua’s head turned to Lay and you could see her moving closer to him; leaning her head into the crook of his arms.

You put your hand on Yin’s and squeezed it tight.

“Ow! Easy. I’m not your ex’s date!” she scowled and glared at you; squeezing you back.

You paid no attention to her, but loosened your grip nonetheless.

Only a few minutes passed, and you could see Lay absently running his fingers through Mei Hua’s hair.

The two later on leaned close to each other’s face, and you could see Lay smiling and shaking his head while Mei Hua laughed.

‘What the heck is that?! A girl having fun with Lay?! Is hell freezing over?!’

You looked at them with utter disbelief.

 

 

Four rows before you…

Mei Hua was laughing at how you took the bait. She made a subtle move to look at the back and saw you there. It wouldn’t be very hard to notice that you were stalking them. You and your bestfriend were not careful enough to keep quiet.

Lay was smiling and shaking his head because he couldn’t believe that you would actually fall for this. It meant that you were not completely over him. It made him feel good. He hadn't been happy since the break up until now. Maybe Mei Hua’s plan would really work. He really might have a chance to get you back.

When he agreed to go with Mei Hua on this pretend date, he wasn’t so thrilled and thought that this would only be a waste of time. Almost too sure that you wouldn’t care about them...

But when Mei Hua said she heard you somewhere in the cinema, Lay’s heartbeat raced and he felt hope fill his being. He started to become optimistic about this and willed himself to get into the role. Feeling too hyped from the attention you were giving him, Lay dared to touch Mei Hua’s chin and made her look at him; leaning close to her face as if to kiss her.

Mei Hua saw that he was smiling, and she smiled as well. She knew Lay would eventually come around.

 

 

As you saw Lay’s face coming close to Mei Hua’s, you felt like you were watching the most gruesome horror movie ever.

When you saw that their noses were almost touching, you instinctively grabbed some popcorn and threw it at them; effectively showering the couple in the process.

You saw Yin looking horrified. And just as the two faced your direction, Yin pulled you and forced you to crouch down low so they wouldn’t see you.

“Are you insane?! What the hell was that for!?” she whispered angrily at you.

“Didn’t you see that?! They were about to do a make out session in the cinema! In the cinema! Those disgusting exhibitionists!” you told her, clearly appalled at their guts.

Yin’s eyes widened at your words.  ‘Unbelievable! This girl is unbelievable!’

“____! You exaggerated person! They’re just about to kiss! And what is it with you if they do that, huh?” she glared at you. “Oh! You selfish liar… admit it! You’re not over him, aren’t you?!” she held you on your arms and looked at you intently.

“W-what? What are y-you saying? Me? Not over Lay? Psh. Are you on crack?” you stuttered and nervously averted your eyes.

“Then why are you being like this?!”

“I don’t know, okay?” you then peeked slowly to see if they were still paying attention to you. You were relieved when you saw that they had their attention back to the movie.

Yin went back to her seat, and you did as well.

You were on edge. You were even trying your darnest not to blink. You couldn’t miss a thing. If Lay failed once, you knew that he was bound to attempt doing it again.

‘How dare you try to kiss another woman, Lay? You shouldn’t be moving on this easy! I thought you cared for me regardless of how cruel I’ve been to you!’  

As if something evil heard your pessimistic thoughts, you saw them face each other again. And this time, it seemed to be Mei Hua who was taking the lead.

She slowly leaned in to him, and you watched with a bated breath as she cupped Zhang Yixing’s face and kissed him right on the lips.

You felt like dying in this moment.

Yin was apparently shocked as well, and looked to see how you were reacting over what was happening.

You unconsciously placed a hand to your heart and you could almost hear it shattering into a million pieces.

‘You cheating bastard! I trusted you! I trusted your feelings for me! At least you should’ve mourned over my loss and not taste another girl the moment you could have one! You ing heartbreaker!’

You clenched the hand on your chest and grabbed the carton of popcorn.

You gave your best shot at throwing it, directly hitting Lay on the head.

Yin gave you a ‘what-the--look’.

“Girl. I love you, but I’m outta here,” she hurriedly stood up and left you.

The moment she left, you were unfrozen from your stupor and looked over at her retreating body.

“Yin, why are you leaving me now that I need you the most?” you quietly whimpered.

As you swung your head back to Lay and Mei Hua, you saw Lay looking at you.

'OH MY GOD.'

He was staring at you. And you knew that he knew that you, his ex-girlfriend, was the one who was -blocking him.

'F#$#^%$&^%$&$@$#%$#%#!'

You slid out of your seat, and hurriedly crawled as fast as you can away from the crime scene; which was not so fast considering that there were feet and legs narrowing your pathway.

When you felt that you were at a safe distance, you tried to stand up and looked at Lay. He was out of his seat, and was moving towards your previous location. As his line of vision shifted towards your direction, you crouched down again; your hand instinctively holding on to something for support.

“You ! What do you think you’re doing to my date?!”

You looked at the complaining woman, and was surprised to find out that her angry rant was directed at you.

“Me?” you asked her unsurely.

“Is there any other around here?!”

You were stunned.

'What is this woman’s problem with me?'

You moved your eyes to see what was giving this rude girl a heart attack, and finally understood when you saw where your hand had landed...

 

...There, lying cosily near an undeniable male crotch, was your hand.

 

Your eyes trailed from your hand, to his crotch, to his torso, and finally stopped on the surprised face of probably one of the hottest guys you’ve ever laid eyes on. The guy could even pull off the blonde hair.  

You felt your jaw slacken, and the girl seemed to notice you ogling his date.

She harshly ripped your hands away from his lap. “Do you seriously want a cat fight?!” she said as she manoeuvred her body into a fighting stance.

You put your hands up in surrender. “Hey. I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to do that.”

“No! You seem to be looking for some trouble, missy! Come here!” She grabbed your arm, but the stranger’s grip on you was quickly removed by the guy.

“She already apologized, damn it. Don’t you know proper etiquette? We’re inside the cinema. Look. You’re bothering other people.” He motioned his head to the other people, who were throwing them heated looks and scowling at them for the unwarranted disturbance.

The girl suddenly looked offended.

“You’re siding with this woman than me?! I can’t believe this! I’m leaving. And don’t you dare try to contact me; I don’t ever want to see your face again!” She went to reach for her bag and made her dramatic exit.

You looked guiltily at the guy.

“Hey, I’m really sorry…” you said and then bit your lip as you looked ashamedly at the blonde guy.   

The guy closed his eyes for a second and sighed.

“Don’t mind it. We weren’t serious anyway.” He shook his head. “Why were you even crawling? Are you hiding from somebody?”

Your felt ice cold panic again, and turned to see Lay moving towards your direction.

‘WHAT THE HELL DO I DO NOW?!’

You turned to look at the guy, then at the empty seat beside him, before looking at him again.

‘You can’t afford a moment of hesitation now, _____...’

You moved to sit beside him and hurriedly untied your hair. You then removed your sweater and threw it under the seat; leaving you with only tank top on.

The guy beside you was bewildered with your actions, and was currently looking at you as if you’ve grown another head.

You risked looking at the direction of Lay and saw him getting closer.

You leaned your back on the seat and turned to look at the guy.

“Please help me,” you squeaked in a low voice.

You didn’t give him any time to react before you pulled his body close to you, and buried your head on his side.

“Please put your arms around me…please,” you softly whimpered.

You looked very much in need, and so he decided to do as you say.

You stayed stiff in that position for a few minutes, until you finally asked the guy to check if there was any guy who seemed to be searching for something.

He seemed to thoroughly make sure that there was none, because it took a while before he answered you.

You subtly looked around and breathed a sigh of relief when Lay seemed to stop looking for you.

You tried peeking at their designated seats, only to see that they were missing; which left you feeling both relieved and nonplussed.

Maybe Lay got pissed at your antics and finally left with his girlfriend.

You leaned back to your seat before looking at the guy, and bowing your head shamefully. 

You slightly chuckled. “Thanks about that. It’s just… well, it’s a long story. But please know that I really needed that help and I owe you big time.” You nudged him gently on the arm and smiled at him, which he returned.

“By the way I’m _____.”  You offered your hand.

He reached out for it and gave you a charismatic eye smile, “You do sure know how to make a grand first impression, ____..." He gave your hand a slight squeeze. "I’m Kris.”

 



 A/N: Chapter inspired by Mariah Carey’s heartbreaker video. Go ahead and check it out. It's very entertaining. :)