Meeting trouble

Hey! I Want You Back!

 

You continued standing there as if in a trance.

You closed your eyes as you prepared yourself for the incoming impact, and simply because you couln’t force yourself to look at how you would die.

You were scared less.

Who wouldn’t be in your situation?

You squeezed your eyes tight, and clenched your hand into the handle of your messenger bag on the side. You were shivering not just from the rain, but from the ice cold fear you were feeling.

As you held your breath, you suddenly heard a loud screeching of tires and then the sound of whirring engine. You bowed your head low and swore you almost pissed your pants.

 

 

You were frozen in the same position until you heard a car door open and then slammed shut.

“Are you crazy!? If you’re suicidal, then go make trouble for someone else!” a deep voice bellowed out.

Your eyes opened and you blindly looked at the ground before your legs gave out on you, making you fall from the huge relief you were feeling.

As you settled down on the ground, you looked at your hands, your legs, and touched every part of your body just to make sure you were still alive. After you made sure that you really were, and not just the soul that was said to separate from the body when people die, you bawled out crying. You didn’t care how you looked right now. You placed a hand on your head and cried as loud as you can.

You just had the worst mind ever.

First, you were crying because of your lost love to Lay, and then the next you were scared less of dying when you weren’t even gonna get hit anyway. The world is definitely conspiring to play with your feelings today.

You heard footsteps came over to you, and saw the stranger in your peripheral crouching down to your side. But that didn’t stop you from your breakdown.

You then felt a tentative hand placed on your shoulder and you reflexively turned to face him.

“Hey, are you…?” the stranger’s words trailed off as he got to take a good look of your face.

Your eyes widened in turn, and your sobbing ceased from the shock you were receiving from seeing the last person you expected to see.

“K-kris?”

“____? Oh shoot. I’m sorry! A-are you okay?! Are you hurt somewhere?!” he said as he scanned your body from any obvious injury.

You just stared blankly at him, trying to process everything that was happening.

“____!”

You heard a familiar voice call out to you again, and both you and Kris turned to the direction of that voice.

Your heart thumped wildly when you saw Lay walking towards you with a frantic look on his face. You didn’t think he would follow you. Why would he trouble himself in going after you, when he had a wonderful girlfriend who was probably waiting for him somewhere?

“____! Oh God! Are you okay?!” he hurriedly crouched down to your other side and searched your body for any bleeding.

You looked at him through the rain and even if your day seemed to be the worst you had ever had, your heart was happy to know that he was there for you, worrying over you. You couldn’t explain the sudden calmness and relief that was washing over you as you looked at his face.

You missed him.

You missed the days when it was alright for you to simply be with him… free to be wrapped up in his warm embrace, free to be content in knowing how important you were to him. You had only come to realize now that in his own little way, he was able to make you feel like a princess.

Your heart was hurting.

'Yes. He has a new princess now. He even calls her that.

Poor heart… I always keep on hurting you.'

You lifted your hands to softly grab his hand to stop it from flailing about because of panic.

“I think I’m okay, Lay. Don’t worry. I feel intact,” you tried to assure him with a smile, but his forehead did not stop from creasing with worry.

How you could suddenly change from being hysterical to calm and at peace was beyond you.

'Lay, I don’t want you to have this influence over me. You’re making it hard for me.'

“How could you say you’re okay?! You’re not! You almost got hit by a goddamn car! And you want me to stop worrying?!”

He turned his attention from you to the stranger beside you, who was obviously the one responsible for your current situation.

You saw the abrupt shift in Lay’s demeanour and knew that what was about to happen wouldn’t be good.

You saw him clench his jaw, and saw his hands ball tight into a fist, as he glared dangerously at Kris.

Lay’s anger was building up. He was starting to see red from the rage flowing into his veins now. He didn’t care as to who was in the right or wrong in here. All that mattered to him was how he almost hit you. You almost died right in front of his eyes! 'I’m going to make you pay you damn bastard!'

You panicked and firmly held him on the arm to snap him out of it.

“Lay, it’s not his fault! It’s mine really! I wasn’t aware of where I was going and I didn’t get out of the way. I just stood like a fool waiting for death when he honked at me!” Your eyes pleaded him to believe you, silently begging him to calm down.

Lay was feeling too angry to calm down. He couldn't just let this pass!

But then he made the mistake of locking eyes with you, and now he had no choice but to back down. How could he say no to you when you were looking at him like that?

He resumed giving Kris a hostile glare and clenched his hand tighter; digging his nails painfully on his palm.  He was shaking from anger, but he knew that he had to give his best in keeping a leash on his temper. He wouldn’t want to put any more stress on you.

He looked upward and squeezed his eyes shut, as he pinched the bridge of his nose. “I think we should get you to the hospital, have a check-up, and do some x-rays, CT Scans…” he then turned to look at you.

“Lay, I didn’t hit my head. The car didn’t even hit me. I fell down by myself so we wouldn’t need to do those. I just need to go home and rest,” you gently intervened.

“I’ll take you home. Can you stand?” He was about to move you and help you stand, when Kris held your shoulder on his side.

“I'll take you home. It’s the least I can do. It will be more comfortable for you,” he then looked at Lay, “No offense man, but I saw you limping a while ago and I have a car. It won’t be good for a shaken person to be accompanied by someone who is in need of help also.”

Lay’s fist was just itching to land on Kris.  

You looked from Kris to Lay.

“Lay, are you hurt somewhere?” you asked him worriedly while your eyes trailed from his legs to his feet.

“Don’t mind me. I’m alright. It’s you we should be worried about.”

“Let’s get you home now. You’ll get sick from staying too long under the rain. C’mon,” Kris said as he moved to help you stand, and Lay just took your bag on the floor beside you.

You suddenly yelped and grabbed them both for support when you felt a sharp pain on your left knee. You couldn’t stretch it out because it hurt too damn much. Maybe you got this from the impact of your fall. 

“What’s wrong?!” “Where does it hurt?”  Lay and Kris simultaneously asked.

If it wasn’t raining hard now, they would’ve seen sweat forming on your forehead from the pain. “My left knee. I must have had a bad fall a while ago.” You squeezed your eyes shut from the pain.

Kris was fast and he manoeuvred his body to pick you up bridal style.

Lay stood there, aghast. How could that darn stranger act so familiar with you? He should be the one doing that to you!

Kris moved to the direction of the back seat and asked Lay for help in opening the door. He then gently placed you inside, and placed the plain black throw pillow carefully under your injured knee. After he made sure you are okay, he closed the door shut and moved towards the driver’s seat, while Lay took the passenger’s.

“We should get her to the hospital to have her knee checked,” Lay said with subtle hostility to Kris as they settled down.

“No! No. I’m okay. Maybe I just need to put ice on it,” you protested against the idea. You were not fond of hospitals because you hate needles and you just hate the distinct smell of that place.

“What if it isn’t a simple sprain and it gets worse?” Lay tried to make you see reason.

 

 

Kris just watched the two of you alternately from his side to the rear view mirror. He had been observing the two of you since he had been curious from the start as to how the two of you were related. Lay’s outright hate for him, and the way he was affected over your almost accident, seemed to show how the two of you intimately knew each other. The way you calmed down and how you looked at him didn’t miss his sharp eyes either.  

He seemed to recognize Lay as the guy who was staring at the two of you intently in the cinema. He silently wondered if Lay recognized him to be the guy you were with back then. But if he did, he would’ve said something about it by now.

“We could drop her at her place, and I could take a look at her knee and see whether she needs to have it checked by professionals,” Kris said as he shifted his eyes from the rear view mirror to Lay.

“How would you know if it’s a simple sprain or not? Are you a nurse or a med student?” Lay tried not to sound rude to please you, but it still came out that way.

“No. But I play basketball. Leg injuries are common occurrences. So, I think it'll be okay if I take a look. There’s no harm. Let’s just try what she wants first. And if it's serious, then we’ll really have to get her to the hospital.” He then looked at you through the mirror and smiled. “Is that okay with you, ____?”    

 You just shyly nodded and smiled back.

“So where do you live?”

“I’ll give the directions,” Lay saved you the trouble.

Kris just made a move to fasten his seatbelt and shifted his gear to Drive.

A few minutes into the ride, you gasped making the two look over to you and you gave Kris a horrified look.

“K-kris… We got your seats all wet. I’m sorry,” you whimpered at him and looked apologetic.

“Nah. Don’t you worry your pretty little head over something so trivial. I can do something about it.” He gave you a wink.

Lay watched your interaction. He had to admit that he was feeling as if the guy was purposely stepping on his ego now. He knitted his eyebrows as he looked at Kris.

“Do we make a turn here now?” Kris asked Lay as he saw him giving him the once over. He smirked internally. This guy was definitely sizing him up. 'So are you with him, ____?'

 

 

Meanwhile, at the back seat, unaware of the tension building between the two men, you felt a vibration inside the bag that was currently on your lap. You figured that it was your phone that was on silent mode, and hurriedly opened your bag to get it. Good thing it still seemed to be in good condition despite of being wet from the rain. 

You saw Luhan’s name on your phone.

'Oh Dear. You’re in for trouble,____.'

You quickly answered the phone.

“Where the hell are you, ____!? I waited for hours for you on your college building but you bailed out on me! I went home and you’re not here! What do you think you’re doing!?”

You sighed.

“Oppa. Please calm down. It wasn’t my intention to do that to you. It’s just that it rained and…” you paused as you take a look at the two men in front of you, who were obviously eavesdropping in your conversation.

“… It’s a long story, okay? I’m on my way home and I promise to explain everything when I get there. I’m sorry oppa… Please don’t get mad at me anymore. Please…?” you sounded sweet to appease him.

You heard him blew out a breath on the other line. “Just hurry up.”

You smiled even though he couldn’t see you. “I love you, oppa… Oh! And please start on the coffee maker.  Servings for three.”

“What? You have company?”

“Yes.”

“Are they girls?”

'Uh-oh.  Protective Luhan alert.'

“No, oppa. And before you make steam come out of your ears, please know that these guys are my saviour, okay?” you quickly said.

“What?! Why?! Were you in an accident?!”

“Just know I’m fine, oppa. I’m hanging up, I love you.” You ended the call and raised a hand to massage your temple.

 

 

You soon arrived in your apartment building. And this time, Lay moved faster than Kris so that he would be the one to carry you despite of his aching ankle.

“Lay how about your injury?” you worriedly asked him.

“I think the problem’s not in the bones. It’s tolerable. Let me do this for you, okay?” He was trying to make you believe him. He wouldn’t want Kris to have his arms all over you. He wasn't comfortable with it.

You couldn’t help but to let him do it. Even if this was wrong, a part of you yearned to be close to him.

 

 

You were feeling nervous as hell yet again as you were nearing your destination.

You were about to go home with two awfully hot guys, and that in itself would certainly give Luhan a heart attack. But with Lay carrying you, the guy he knew who was currently dating his ex-girlfriend, you knew for sure that this would certainly instigate Luhan to blow up.  You suddenly prayed that Luhan be given enlightenment and a rational mind so as not to act like a wild animal.

You guys were already standing outside the door. And just as Lay stepped closer to the device so you could key in the code, the door swiftly opened and you saw Luhan with his eyes narrowed at your soaking wet form. His eyes moved on to Lay’s equally drenched self.

You held your breath, trying to gauge his reaction.

You saw Luhan’s eyes looking dangerously over the protective hold that Lay had on you.

 

 

Lay tried to look calm and collected in front of Luhan, but the truth was your brother was unnerving him. The first time they met wasn’t the best of circumstances, and he was well-aware of how poorly Luhan thinks of him now.  

The atmosphere suddenly changed when someone decided to break the silence.

“Luhan.” you all turned to Kris.

 

 

You witnessed as Luhan’s expression shifted from brewing anger, to surprise, and finally settled on a relaxed expression. Your brother even smiled.

What the heck?

“Kris! What are you doing here?”

You felt your mouth slightly parted as you saw Luhan come over to Kris, and gave him a distant man hug to avoid getting too wet from Kris’s rain-soaked clothes. You then saw Kris looking at you as he motioned his hands towards your direction.  “I’m just seeing this girl home… and seeing that you live in the same house, I assume ____’s your sister. Am I wrong?”

“No, you’re right. She’s my sister.”

“Wait, wait, wait. So you two know each other?” there you go again asking the obvious.

Luhan looked at you as if you were retarded and just shook his head slightly. “Of course. ____, this is Kris! My good friend from middle school KRIS? You know of him.”

You just blankly stared at him.

He raised his brow at you in disbelief.

“Wu Yifan? Ring any bell?”

Wu Yifan…

Wu Yifan..

Wu Yifan.

You felt your heart suddenly stopped.

Kris is… Wu Yifan?!

You stared at Kris incredulously.

Oh God.