Is this goodbye?

Hey! I Want You Back!

 

Lay stood still, transfixed, as he watched your retreating back.

What did just happen?

'Do you finally feel the same way I do? Did an opportunity just opened up for me? Are you serious about what you’re feeling now? Or is this something that will change after a good night’s rest?'

His heart was beating fast.

You looked so broken, and he felt as if you were really seeing him for the first time. He had never seen you look at him like that until now.

Lay prided himself in having the ability to see right through you. To him, you were easy to read. But now that something as important as this was happening, could he trust what his instincts were telling him?

You finally seemed to have sorted out your feelings for him.

If he tells you that he isn’t with Mei Hua, would you want him back? Would you accept him again? Would it be so easy like that?

He gripped his hand tightly on the umbrella as he lost sight of you.

‘_____... If I deserve the best… Then I deserve you, don’t I?’

Feeling his adrenaline rush, he threw away the umbrella and ran after you as if his life depended on it.

 

 

You were freezing cold from the rain but it was alright with you. You didn’t see the need to complain; you were welcoming the sensation. You wanted to feel cold, maybe then it would make you feel numb. Let the rain dull out your pain.

The tears were blurring your vision, making it more difficult to see where you were going since the rain wasn't letting-up.

As you ran like a mad woman, your mind replayed the moment when you had your first kiss with Lay, the moment you got together…

 

“I guess this is it… I had a good time, Lay. Thank you for taking me to that restaurant. The food was delicious. You are probably thinking of how much a pig I am for eating so much.” You winked at him and chuckled as you gave him a playful nudge.

“No. It’s good that you’re comfortable around me. And it’s refreshing to go out with someone with a healthy appetite. We can do it again if you want.” He smiled as he placed a hand inside of his jean pocket.

“I’d love to.” You shyly averted your eyes as you tuck some hair behind your hair.

You turned to see him smiling and scratching the back of his ear.

You just stared into each other’s eyes, both clueless as to how to end this night. You had been seeing him for some time now, but you still weren't officially together. This was the first time he dropped you off in your apartment.

‘C’mon, Lay. Aren’t you gonna do something?’ you miserably thought

It seemed as if he wouldn’t make the move and you decided to kill this nonsense moment. You awkwardly leaned in to give him a kiss on the cheek and patted him on the arm.

“Well, goodnight Lay. Be safe. I’ll call you.” You then keyed in the code to your apartment and gave him one last look before hurrying inside.

You let out a sigh of disappointment by the time you closed the door.

You leaned your back on the door and thought of how upsetting that moment was.

What a let-down. You were having the time of your life and it didn’t end up the way you were expecting it to be.

‘Seriously, Lay!? You’re the guy. You should’ve kissed me senseless and put an end to this frustration already! You should’ve pushed me up against the wall or something!’ you complained mentally.

You groaned.

You really like Lay. He was so handsome and different. It wasn't as if he had a rotten personality anyway.

‘Why can’t you man up and be all cave man over me, Lay!’

You turned around and banged your head softly on the door.

‘This is stupid.’

You opened the door to see if he was already gone, when someone pushed past you and held you at the back of your head to crash his lips on yours.

You were wide-eyed with shock and saw Lay kissing you with his eyes closed. You felt his tongue massaging yours, and felt a hand rubbing you on your lower back.

After a few seconds, he leaned away from you to see you in a daze.

He looked equally surprised with what he did, and was about to remove his arms from you, when you pulled him closer and kissed him with unsuppressed passion; placing your hands on his face for support.

You were waiting for this for a long time. He couldn’t just kiss you and leave you hanging!

'This is it. Kissing Lay is now my favourite thing to do.'

When you started feeling dizzy from the lack of oxygen, you released your lips from his and he leaned his forehead on yours.

You looked into his eyes to see them sparkle.

You laughed and he joined you.

'Finally.'

You were feeling extremely happy and he seemed to be feeling it as well.

“So, is this the part where you say you want to be with me, and give me the right to kiss you whenever the hell I want to?”

He was amused with your forwardness but he loved it about you.

“Only if you want to.” He gave you a gentle smile.

“Well, I do. Now let’s cut this crap and kiss me again,” you told him as you put your arms on the back of his neck, and he kissed you, making you laugh in between kisses.

 

 

You couldn’t help but release a loud sob when you remembered it. That was right. You really liked Lay. That was why you wanted to be with him before. How did you lose sight of that? Why did you focus on seeing the negative things when he was bent on giving his all to make your relationship work?

'____. You’re so stupid!'

You weren’t well aware of your surroundings and you continually bumped on people; not even bothering to mutter an apology.

You just wanted to go home. You wanted to escape this place. You wanted to be far from Lay... Far away from the love that had just blossomed.

You would be ruthless if you act on your feelings and snatch lay back from Mei Hua. It would be unfair to the both of them. Besides, you were not sure if Lay even wanted you back. You would appear to be playing him. He might not even believe that what you were feeling was real. He might think that you were just selfish... neither wanting to be with him nor wanting to see him with other girls.

“_____!” you thought you heard a familiar voice call out your name. But you couldn’t be sure since you couldn’t hear anything properly over the loud sound of the rain.  

You just ignored it and continued running.

 

 

You were crossing the street when a loud beeping of horn made you stop in your tracks.

Your eyes widened when you saw a speeding car heading towards you.

You were rooted on the spot. You knew that you should be moving out of the way now, but your body was failing to respond. You were feeling like a deer caught in the headlight. Well, you were literally a woman caught in headlights.

'Is this it? After the entire mental breakdown I was having, I'm just gonna die like this?

Fate seems to love playing with me.

After feeling utmost hurt and regret, now I'm getting this.

Wow, such a good way to die.'

 

 

Lay finally saw you and called out your name to make you stop. But you didn’t seem to hear him since your steps didn’t falter as he was expecting it to.

Instead, he saw you run even faster.

He couldn’t be sure though, maybe it was him who was slowing down from the wrong step he took, which was bringing pain to his ankle whenever he moves.

But Lay was a man on a mission. He couldn’t let a mere pain stop him from going after you.

He wouldn’t be playing games with you anymore. He was sick of it. If you knew what you want, then all you have to do was tell him. He was just waiting for you.

Lay felt as if someone squeezed his lungs, preventing him from breathing, when he heard a loud sound of a car horn that sounded awfully close to your direction. He saw you freezing on the spot, and he felt his soul leaving his body when he saw head lights looming over you.