Chapter 9- Ninomiya/Ohno’s POV

When the cherry blossoms bloom

Chapter 9- Ninomiya’s POV

A week had passed and Ohno-san finally came to visit the shop. He had the exact same gentle smile from last week, and he made the atmosphere around him warmer when he talked. I was very surprised by his sudden remark about my hands looking like a meat patty… when I thought about it, I couldn’t help but burst out laughing, and when I asked Ohno-san to tell me more about himself, he smiled happily. He told me about all of his favorite things. First of all, drawing. He liked drawing from when he was a child, and during the weekends, he often spent the whole day drawing, so it was his habit to observe things carefully just in case he had a sudden urge to sketch. I wonder if the Ohno-san’s perspective of the world is different to mine and he looks at everything from an artist’s point of view… :) Secondly, he loved fishing. This was a hobby that he found recently, and apparently, he loved the excitement he felt when a fish got caught on his hook. I don’t really ride boats or cars because I get seasick and carsick easily, and I ride my bicycle most of the time so I’ve never really tried fishing before. Maybe he’ll have lots of fun if he goes with Ma-kun. He also told me how he loved the smell of bakeries, and going to parks during lunch breaks…

“And I found a new favorite thing.”

“What is it?”

“Your songs.” He said this with a warm smile that made my heart pound. Why am I getting slightly nervous…?

“Then, I’ll answer your request.” I wanted to listen to Ohno-san talk for a bit longer, but of course I needed to keep the promise that we made a week ago. I left him sitting by the counter and walked towards the piano after signaling Ma-kun, who dropped the lights down. I wanted to thank Ohno-san for spending time with me. I wanted to thank him for talking to me about all of his favorite things. I wanted to thank him for coming. I placed my hands down on the keys softly and let out a short breath. I closed my eyes and let my fingers slide against the piano keys, hoping that my grateful feelings would be delivered to him.

 

Ohno’s POV

I don’t know why, but the beautiful melody of the piano and Nino’s clear singing echoed more directly to my heart compared to last week. The sound touched my heart and gripped on, and I had to fight the urge to cry as I listened to the soothing music.

 I was struggling to keep the tears from flowing, and that was when I realized. How beautiful and lonely he was when he played the piano. Although this much feeling of courage and desire could be conveyed through his songs, he was not aware of it, and he played in his own world all alone. The sad facial expression he showed while hitting a high note, and those small fingers that hit the keyboard gracefully; they only existed inside his own little world. This made the same thought pop into my mind from last week: you look so fragile, as if you would break by just one touch. Yes. You are singing and playing the piano with a thick transparent wall in between you and the audience, and you are not letting anyone step inside the wall, and that’s why your songs all have a beauty in them, which cannot be tainted by anyone. But Nino. Always being alone in your small little world… isn’t it lonesome?

After his performance was over, there was a loud applause from the table seats, and I can’t help but to join in. He bowed quickly, and came back towards me, smiling.

“How was it, Ohno-san?”

“It made me cry a little.” I sniffled as he laughed softly.

“You’re just like, Ma-kun. Very emotional. :)”

One day. It doesn’t matter how long it will take me, but would I be able to heal your loneliness? Why you sing like that all alone on your own… I still have no idea because we’ve only just met. But there’s one thing that I know for sure. I am intensely in love with you.