Chapter 2-Ohno's POV

When the cherry blossoms bloom

Chapter 2-Ohno’s POV

 

After I graduated from high school, I went to an art college. Many people appreciated my drawings and paintings and I won countless art competitions, and I always believed that it was because I drew freely, on my own will. If I was forced to draw, I would probably not be able to draw as well as I want to. I was afraid of that to happen, so I didn’t want to draw as work, but I still wanted to be involved in manufacturing. 

After thinking through many times, I chose to work at a company that designs and makes things needed for big events, such as signs, posters, stalls, stage props and so on. It was a rather small company, and I might get lower salary than other guys around my age, but I liked their motto: “Quality not quantity”, and I only tried out for the one company. From the interview, I got on very well with the boss, and now I am well trusted and we go on well.

When I first joined the company, I was responsible for manufacturing, and although it involved a lot of hard work and lifting heavy things, I still had a very fun and brilliant time working. This is my fourth year after joining the company, and now my job is to have meetings with my clients and make a design that would fit with their ideas and what they want.

At first, I had many difficulties because I was very bad at talking with my clients, but now I am a lot better at it and I am responsible for most of the meetings. Although sometimes it can be very tiring, I really love my work and I really enjoy it.

 

Five past eight. I was able to somehow finish all of today’s work, but it took longer than I thought it would, and I ran as fast as I could to the park.

“Hey Sho-kun, sorry to keep you waiting.”

“It’s alright. You didn't have to run, Satoshi-kun.”

“But… you always hated waiting for people, Sho-kun, from when we were kids?” From when we were in primary school, Sho-kun always became moody when tings didn’t go according to his plan. He opened his eyes widely in surprise at my words, then smiled from ear to ear.

“Satoshi-kun, that was a long time ago. :D I’m an adult already.” He burst out laughing with one hand covering his mouth, and I was pleased that the way he laughed had never changed from when we were kids. Sho-kun said that there was a restaurant that he wanted to go to, and on the way there, we talked about how we were doing recently.

There were a lot of things about Sho-kun’s work that I couldn't fully understand, but he explained them to me and I found his experience amazing. He had always put a lot of effort into everything, such as his study and I was always impressed by his grades and his attitude. I think his efforts helped him achieve his current position in a reputable company. Sho-kun always had an excited expression on his face when he talked about his job and it was obvious that he enjoyed his work very much.

“So, what about your work, Satoshi-kun?” Sho-kun listened seriously to me talking about my job, and when I was done, he sighed.

“Wow, you’re working at such a great company. You’re awesome. Seriously, I would never be able to form what people have in their heads.” I felt a little bit embarrassed about him praising me and I quickly changed the topic. We chatted happily as we walked to the restaurant, and it reminded me of how comfortable it felt to spend time with Sho-kun.

 

“By the way, Sho-kun, where are we headed?” I noticed that we were walking downtown and I asked him the question.

“Now, Satoshi-kun, do you remember playing with my younger friend when we were in high school?” Hmm… thinking back, I think I did play with Sho-kun’s friend before.

“Yeah, I think so.”

“He opened a restaurant near here. I heard that he started the shop quite a while ago, but I was unable to visit because I was busy with work… He’s closing the store to chat with us.”

“That’s cool, but… are you sure I’m allowed to go? I wasn't invited or anything...”

“That’s alright, it's Masaki. I’m not sure if he still remembers you, but he’s nice to everyone.” Watching Sho-kun’s face as he laughed and talked about his old friend Masaki, it was obvious that he trusted him and enjoyed spending time with him.

After a while, we reached a lonely house standing in the middle of the street. I moved to here about 5 years ago but I never knew that there was a store here. There was a small sign on the side of the house that read: “Piano”, and if the sign wasn’t there, the building was just a normal house. When Sho-kun pushed the door open, there was a friendly and welcoming noise of the bells attached to the door.

 “Oh! I’m sorry, we are actually closing the store today… wait, Sho-chan?!” The person inside threw his arms around Sho-kun and hugged him.

“Woah, Masaki, calm down :)”

“I didn't see you in a such a long time! How are you, Sho-chan? Did you lose weight? You look skinnier. And didn't you say that you were coming at nine? It's still eight-thirty. We still have a few more customers so come and have a seat first! …Huh? Sho-chan, who's this?” The young man with smooth hair and black eyes looked at my direction.

“It’s because you were talking so much at once~ Sorry Satoshi-kun, this is my friend Aiba Masaki. And this, is my friend from primary school, Ohno Satoshi. Masaki, we hung out together a couple of times in high school, do you remember?”

“Uh… I don't really remember. But I think I heard your name a few times before from Sho-chan.”

“I’m sorry for coming so suddenly.”

“We just bumped into each other during lunch, and I felt bad about you closing the shop just for me. So I brought Satoshi-kun after his work, and I came a little bit earlier. Sorry about that.”

“No, Sho-chan. You worry too much, don’t worry about it. We still have a few customers so why don’t you two have a seat? I’ll prepare something to eat.” After saying this, he guided me and Sho-kun to the counter.