Chapter 7-Matsumoto's POV

When the cherry blossoms bloom

Chapter 7-Matsumoto’s POV

 

“I wrote that song for you, Jun-kun.” It was as if you had read my thoughts. The song was about cheering on a person who was trying hard to reach their dreams, and I thought: If only the song was addressed to me…

It was completely unexpected.

I stood up and hugged Kazu who was sitting down smiling at me.

 “Woah, Jun-kun?!” I buried my cheeks into his hair. The soft sweet scent of Kazu also had a little bit of my smell, probably because of the hair gel and the slightest thing made me happy.

 “…Kazu, thank you.”

 “Mm, you’re welcome. Haha, you’re so cute, Jun-kun.” You don’t understand a thing, Kazu. You’re a hundred times cuter than me. Keeping my hugging position, I leaned in and kissed Kazu on the cheek.

“…wh-wh-what are you doing Jun-kun?!”

“I was just expressing my thanks.”

“Ex-ex-expressing your thanks?!”

“You two over there. Stop playing. Kazu-kun, you got a request.” Damn, I mutter to myself.

“What song?”

“They want to hear a calm, quiet one. I think you can play one of your songs.”

“Okay.” Kazu twisted his body and escaped from my arms and walked to the piano.

I wonder when it was that I figured out what my feelings were for him. When I was in grade 11, I decided that I would not go to college and take acting as a career.

I started working at the “Rainbow” to earn money while learning about performing arts.

At first, I didn’t know what to do because Kazu unconsciously puts a wall between people aside from the master of Rainbow and Aiba-san. I think it’s because he’s scared. He knows what loss feels like, more than he wants to. I spent many years trying to get inside of his wall. I just wanted to become someone important to him and protect him, that was all.

I knew that this feeling wasn’t just friendship. I’ve gone out with girls before so it wasn’t really because I am interested in guys.

But when I met Kazu, even when people confessed their love to me,  I couldn’t go out with them because I lost interest in other people. 

When I realized, I was always thinking about Kazu, and when I found out that my feelings for him were love, it was painful because I knew that it would never work out. I tried to erase the feelings by dating other people, but that didn't work and it only ended up hurting them.

So, I decided to become stronger.

I would stay next to you as a friend, and you would never need to know how I feel about you. I will hide my feelings no matter what it takes. If you’re happy and I can watch you smile next to you, that’s enough for me.

“You’re lost in thought again. Were you thinking about Kazu?” When I looked up, Aiba-san was looking at me worriedly.

He found out about my feelings towards Kazu immediately, and I told him everything. Aiba-san always listens and helps me when I’m feeling upset or sad over Kazu. His cheerful smile as bright as the Sun had always made me feel better, and I’m sure that I’m not the only one who feels comforted by his smiles.

“Kazu looks so… happy today. Did something happen yesterday?”

Ohh, so you’re jealous.”

“What? No!”

“Why don’t you ask him directly then? Right, Kazu-kun?”

“About what?” Kazu raised his head and asked.

“Woah, when did you finish your performance??”

“Just now… you weren't listening to my song, were you?!” Kazu pouted his lips and pretended to sulk.

“Sorry, sorry, I was lost in thought.”

Yeah… I guess I do have a weak spot for Kazu.

 

 

“So, what were you guys talking about?” Kazu raised his head and looked at Aiba-san and me.

“Did anything good happen to you yesterday, Kazu?”

“Huh?! Why?!” Kazu opened his eyes wide and stared at me.

“I can just tell… from your expression.” Kazu was surprised at my words and held his face in his hands. Of course I would notice. You don’t know how much I look at you all the time.

“Really? Is it that obvious? Well…I met someone yesterday!” He talked about how they had a welcome back party for someone and he blabbered on happily about the things that happened.

Ohno-san.

Apparently, he was the reason for his extremely good mood and happy expression.

“Ohno-san said that he will come again… I wonder if he knows the opening time for the “Piano”…”

“Oh Kazu-kun, I told Sho-can about that so I’m sure it’s fine.” Aiba-san smiled warmly. Aiba-san made the closing days for the “Piano” the same as the “Rainbow” so it is closed on Wednesdays.

“…Kazu, which song did you perform?” I asked out of curiosity.

“The song that you said was your favorite, Jun-kun.” His happy smile made me feel something in my stomach… I knew that I was jealous.

This “Ohno-san”, if he really comes to the shop again, I’m sure that I will meet him someday. How did he get Kazu to open up to him so fast? I want to meet him… but I feel a bit scared of meeting him for some reason. I sighed.