14

Love Is...

Chapter Fourteen 

 

"Sehun-ah what time is it?" I asked.
 
Sehun and I were hanging out in Nolja, a bar in Myeongdong.
 
This place is our one and only hang out place. This is where we always go whenever we need some time to think about things for awhile.
 
Not because of the chicks, never.
 
"It's almost ten, why?" 
 
My eyes almost came out of their sockets. I pulled his arm and looked at his watch.
 
9:57 PM.
 
"I am so freaking late!" I shouted.
 
"Late for what?"
 
I drank the last of Sehun's soju -- Yes, I didn't buy my own drink -- and ran outside as fast as I can.
 
I got inside the car and zoomed off to buy Pizza and Starbucks. 
 
 
Minah's POV
 
It was ten thirty in the evening and I was inside my room, wearing my pj's and all, still wide awake.
 
Sungjae and Halmeoni were already fast asleep.
 
I wanted to sleep already, but my body won't cooperate.
 
The lights were off and the only light that was visible was the one coming from Mister Moon. 
 
Kai forgot about our bet.
 
Maybe he and Chaerin had to do something important or maybe he just went to that bar somewhere in Myeongdong and got himself drunk.
 
I wonder if he already got involved with some girl he met at that bar. 
 
Suddenly, some random sound startled me.
 
It was like someone was throwing rocks at my window.
 
I stood up immediately and opened the curtains only to see Kai standing outside of the house, picking up small rocks from the ground.
 
See?
 
Told you he's drunk. 
 
I tied my hair in a bun --- the lazy style --- and went downstairs.
 
I walked barefoot outside and opened the gate.
 
Kai was standing straight, a box of pizza on one hand and balancing two Starbucks Frapp on the other. "You still hungry?" He asked.
 
I chuckled, shaking my head. "You are crazy," I helped him with the drinks and we headed inside the house.
 
"Where have you been?" I asked as I switched on the lights in my room.
 
"Nolja," he replied. "I was with Sehun." He placed the Pizza on my bed and sat down.
 
"How many?" I asked.
 
"Only one," he said, then shook his head "no, not one. Only half. Half of Sehun's drink." He explained.
 
I opened the box and got a slice. "Half of Sehun's drink?"
 
"Yeah, I didn't buy my own beer." I formed an 'O' shape with my mouth as I nodded. 
 
Kai got a slice and said, "I saw my doctor awhile ago in Chaerin's shop." He suddenly said.
 
"You mean, Doctor Choi?" I asked, taking a bite of my pepperoni pizza.
 
It was my favorite.
 
He nodded.
 
"And?"
 
He looked at me, "And?"
 
"What happened?"
 
"We talked about things."
 
I knew Doctor Choi, but I've never met him. Even once.
 
All I know is that, he was Kai's doctor since he was a kid.
 
If you're wondering if I knew about his disease, yes. He told me everything when we were six.
 
"Things like?"
 
"You know I hate explaining," he said, lying down on my bed, feet on the floor.
 
I sighed, "I wanna do something," I whimpered.
 
He looked at me. "What?"
 
I closed the pizza box and grabbed my frapp. I opened my small closet and grabbed the blanket that Halmeoni crocheted for me. "Let's go!" I gently kicked his foot and went downstairs.
 
"What are we going to do?" He asked, following me.
 
I opened the front door and ran outside to our mini garden. I laid the blanket on the cold ground and sat down. "Your favorite," I smiled. 
 
It had become his favorite to lie down on the ground and just look at the twinkling stars.
 
He told me to do this every time I feel sad.
 
"It'll help you feel happy, even by just looking at it." he told me.
 
Kai adjusted the blanket and lied down beside me.
 
I did the same thing.
 
"Look," he pointed upwards with his index finger. "that's my star."
 
I looked up and smiled.
 
Yuriel, was the name of his star. We named it when we were kids.
 
If it was possible to name every star in the evening sky, believe me, we would.
 
"What's your favorite fairy tale again?" He suddenly asked.
 
"I don't have any favorite. I like everything, as long as it have a happy ending." I smiled, "Why?" 
 
*Happy endings. One of Minah's most favorites. No matter how hard it is, I will try. We'll make our own fairy tale.* Kai thought.
 
He looked at me and smiled.
 
"You're being creepy." I said.
 
"I am?"
 
I nodded as I sat up and opened the lid of my all-time favorite drink. "Awesome basketball skills at Game Zone, by the way. I thought you hated basketball."
 
"You love sporty guys, right?"
 
"Woohyun was never sporty and Myungsoo's only good at dribbling and passing." I explained.
 
Kai sat up. "So, you don't love sporty guys then?" 
 
"Why are you asking me that?" I scowled.
 
He shrugged. "I just wanna know your ideal type."
 
I sighed. "Well, I want a guy who knows everything about me, accepts me for who I am and not care about all my flaws and imperfections. I want a guy who would always make me feel special and loved. And lastly, a guy who could be my best friend and would never get tired of loving me." I looked at him and smiled.
 
He snorted. "Wow," he said. "guess I wouldn't have to try hard. That is all me."
 
I flicked his ear and said, "You are crazy Kkamjong!"
 
He smirked. "Woah, look who's talking."
 
I bit my lip to prevent myself from laughing, but of course, I failed.
 
It was Kai.
 
The one who never fails to make me smile.
 
I stood up, opened the gate and went outside.
 
Kai followed. "What are you doing?" He asked.
 
And I started dancing to F(x)'s Nu Abo. "Mysteric, mysteric molla molla ajik naneun molla," I danced in front of the neighbor's house, under the moonlight, feeling totally free and happy. 
 
"You're really a horrible dancer." He chuckled as he shook his head.
 
I looked at him and raised my eyebrows. "Well, at least I don't look like I am being electric shocked when dancing." I tried to imitate his dance moves while laughing.
 
I'm sure I look like an idiot right now, but I don't care.
 
"What. Did. You. Say?" He asked, walking slowly towards my direction.
 
"Electric shocked while dancing." I repeated and stuck my tongue out at him.
 
He started walking faster and I ran for my life.
 
We chased each other around the neighborhood laughing vociferously, just like before.
...
 
"You're not gonna sleep here tonight?" I asked as I accompanied Kai outside.
 
He looked at me before pushing the gate open. "Why? Do you want me to?"
 
I rolled my eyes. "Tch. I was just asking. Go home now, bye." I said with a huff.
 
I don't know why, but I suddenly missed spending time with him.
 
Even if we get to see each other almost everyday, I still missed hanging out with him.
 
I closed the gate as I heard the engine roar. I heard the car door shut and I made my way to the door. But then I stopped, halfway inside.
 
I can still hear his car's engine. I drifted to the front lawn and quickly unlocked the gate.
 
I hope he's still there.
 
I poked my head outside and saw Kai leaning on his car, looking at me with those fierce eyes.
 
Behind him was the neighbor's car, making its way through the gate and inside the house.
 
So that wasn't his car.
 
But why was he still here?
 
"I knew it," he chuckled, shaking the empty bottle of Starbucks Frapp in front of him.
 
I gaped at him. "How did you- I hate you!" I cried and bit my lip.
 
He placed his other hand in his pocket and stood up in front of me. "You. Miss. Me." His face was really close to mine, but I didn't find it awkward, not at all.
 
Instead, I found it sweet. 
 
I pushed his face gently with my hand and said, "I don't. I just thought that maybe it's too late to go home, dangerous to drive." I explained, but he wasn't convinced.
 
"Kwon Minah, Kwon Minah," he clucked his tongue.
 
"What?"
 
"Nothing," he smiled. "Let's go!" He grabbed my hand and we walked back inside the house.
...
 
This time, he agreed to wear that pink pajama I gave him last time.
 
Thank God, he had an extra shirt in his car so that I wouldn't have to dig my closet for an over sized shirt once again.
 
We were lying on the bed.
 
Lights closed, the curtains shading the light coming from Mister Moon that sent a shadowy light in my room.
 
"I won't be able to see you tomorrow," He said softly. "Hyunseong said I need to start getting ready for the party."
 
I looked at the ceiling. "Yeah, me too." 
 
"On Sunday I'm not sure I-"
 
"Oppa, I won't be gone." I assured him. "We can always see each other if we want to."
 
The pillow moved a bit when he nodded. "Yeah, yeah you're right." 
 
I smiled. "I had fun today, thank you."
 
I can feel him looking at me. "How about you?"
 
"Everything's fun when I'm with you," He said.
 
This time, I faced him, with enough distance.
 
"Chee-sy." I said and we both laughed.
 
I swear, his laugh is the iest thing ever.
 
I am not kidding.
 
I closed my eyes and scooted closer to his chest.
 
He slowly wrapped his arms around me, his chin on top of my head.
 
"Good night Kkamjong," I said.
 
"Sweet dreams, horrible dancer." He laughed softly.
 
And slowly I fell asleep to the sound of Kai's breathing.