When?

To You, Lee Byunghyun

It was the last day of school. We were walking back home together as usual. You would drop me off before heading home. You slung an arm around me and I held the umbrella in place.

It was raining, again.

We were walking silently, but the atmosphere wasn’t awkward. I was listening to the music of the rain, enjoying the company of you.

“I’ll be going soon,” You abruptly said.

“Hmm?” I stopped and looked at you.

You dipped your hands into your pockets and sighed. You were migrating to America, you said. Your father had to be there for business.

I stayed mute.

You would be leaving in two weeks, you said. You added, you would miss me very much.

I would too. I thought that both of us would be able to get into college together, be best friends together; I thought that everything could be done together, and nothing could tear us apart.

All of a sudden, I dropped the umbrella and reached out and hugged you. I closed my eyes and held you tight. I felt you put your hands around my waist, a little unsurely.

The world seemed to have stopped revolving; everything was a stand still. I could only feel the warmth of you spreading across my body; I could only hear your rhythmic heartbeat synchronized with mine.

Then I let go. I picked up the umbrella and smiled at you.

“I better hug you now, or else I wouldn’t have any chance to later on,” I said truthfully.

“Sheesh, who would hug someone in the middle of the pathway?” You teased back and messed up my fringe.

I just gave you a sheepish grin and we continued on our way. Once again, your arms conveniently slung over my shoulder. The traffic light turned green as we chatted happily as we walked across the road leading to my house.

I was still busy pestering you when I noticed you stopped responding. Your eyes became wide with horror as you stared to the left. I frowned, and turned to my left too.

I gasped. Run. My mind told me to run, but my legs wouldn’t budge. Then everything became a blur when I felt myself being grabbed and tossed to the side of the road, and the rain came seeping through my uniform. Pain shot through my leg the moment I landed.

I looked up, and the physical pain was forgotten. The red car had sped away scot-free, you had saved me, yet you…

I cried.

I cried like child. I ran towards you, bawling for the first time. Your arms went limp; your blood stained my uniform.

“I love you ~~~~~,” Were the last words you said. I slammed my fists on the wet ground, crying even harder. I didn’t even get a chance to tell you how I felt.

The rain got heavier, and heavier. I held on to you, refusing to let you go. You may be gone, but you would still be alive in my heart.

Rain, it’s just so cruel. It rains every time I felt sad.

Lee Byunghyun, my best friend, will we still meet next time?