Just when

To You, Lee Byunghyun

Out of boredom, I would receive texts and calls from you. Your words, made me giggle silently to myself. Your voice, made my heart accelerate.

Every time you called, I would press my ear closely to the phone, not wanting to miss a single word you said. Your voice was just like a sweet and charming melody. I would concentrate with bated breath, nodding to myself as you poured out your words.

You would crack a joke or two, and I would burst into laughter. You liked to tease me a lot, making me annoyed yet blush. But I couldn’t be annoyed with you for long.

Just when, did I realize that I wanted to be more than friends?

----------------------------

It was a normal day, but you came running to me with an elated and excited expression. You told me, you liked this girl from another class. You were singing her praises, smiling like an idiot.

My heart tore into pieces. I bit my lip, desperately trying to hold back the tears. Then you asked me what present should you give her.

I forced a smile and just shrugged. I didn’t trust myself to say anything. My heart dropped again when you apologized, saying you would ask her to be your valentine, instead of the usual me.

The tears got caught in my throat.

“Could you help me to woo her?” You turned to me and cheerfully asked.

I stared straight ahead, and my sight became a blur. Without a word, I rushed out of the classroom, and my tears fell all at once like spilled beans. It felt like another stab in my heart. The pain was unbearable.

Then, it started to pour. This time, no more angel’s whisper. It was more like an outpour of feelings and emotions. I looked up, not caring about my drenched uniform. Was heaven sympathizing with me?

“~~~~~!” You held the purple umbrella over me, and panted heavily. “Why did you just run off like that?”

My back faced you. I just shook my head. You spun me around and stared into my puffy eyes. There was no telling in whether the water running down my face was tears or rain.

“Did…you cry?” You swept my bangs away and curled the strands behind my ears.

“N-no,” I fibbed, still looking down. “There was dust in my eyes.”

“Oh,” You begin to smile again. “Let me see,” You said and tilted my head to face you. Your cool breath blew and I just blinked.

“Come, you’d get a cold you fool,” You slung an arm around me and huddled me close to you. With that, you dragged me back to the class.

“I’ll help you woo her,” I decided in the end.