When You Get a Tattoo

Optional Bias Scenarios

You touched your fingers lightly to the plastic over your arm, wincing slightly. The tattoo was still tender, shiny and swollen from it being printed just minutes ago. You drove carefully, trying to avoid bending the skin in uncomfortable ways.

His car was parked in his spot, and you allowed in a quick intake of breath. How would he feel about this? You had been talking about getting a tattoo for a while now, but he never seemed to take those intentions seriously. He opened the door as you walked up the stairs, greeting you with a bright smile.

“Where’ve you been?” he asked, offering to put your bag on the kitchen counter. “Good news! I have the rest of the day off. What should we do?” He walked back over to you, pulling you into a tight hug. You gasped slightly, not expecting the sudden pain in your shoulder. Your boyfriend stepped back, confused. Offering him what you hoped was a calming smile, you began to roll up your sleeve.

“I have something to show you,” you said. “I’ve wanted it for a long time and I finally decided to go and get it.” Angling yourself to show off the ink, you scanned his face for a reaction. He gave no indication. “Well?” you encouraged. “What do you think?” He reached forward, hovering his fingers over the protective plastic.

“You…were serious?” His eyes traced the lines of your tattoo, showing little emotion in their stare. You frowned, feeling insulted by his cold response. You drew back, hiding it again from him with your hand. Fingers shaking, you tried to restrain the tears you didn’t want to let fall.

“You don’t like it?” Your brow furrowed heavier. “I love it. And it’s permanent, so you’ll have to get used to it, I guess,” you said, voice growing softer and increasingly less intrepid. His eyes softened at your tone. He pulled your hand away from it, looking at the artwork again.

“I was surprised, is all.” He gave a reassuring smile. “It’s beautiful.” His fingers traced your tattoo over the plastic. He touched lightly against your skin, not enough to disturb the sensitive markings. “It looks incredible.” Your expression shifted into one of excitement.

“Really? You like it? You’re not lying to make me feel better, right?” you asked. He shook his head.

“I wouldn’t lie to you. What’ll it take to convince you?” he asked, putting both hands on your hips. You hugged him tight, resting your cheek on his shoulder.

“I believe you. I’m glad you don’t hate it.” He leaned forward, lifting your chin to brush his lips over your cheek.

“It looks great on you. I love it. I promise.”