The Fourth Story Continues

Listen to the Heartbeat

 

Minho went home from the hospital early that night.  He usually didn’t leave until near 10:00, but tonight she must have been exhausted because she fell asleep around 8:30.  He took out his key and unlocked the door to his apartment, entering slowly.  He hung his keys on their hook and kicked off his shoes before heading to the kitchen. 

Even though he had eaten around 6:00, his stomach was grumbling for some ice cream.  He sifted through the freezer and found a half-eaten carton of cookies and cream.  He sat at the kitchen table for a bit, staring into space with the lights off.  He ate a couple bites absentmindedly, chewing slowly.  He wasn’t really thinking about much; he was just tired.  These early mornings and late nights had obviously been taking a toll on him. 

He stood up with a grunt and moved with slow steps to the living room.  However, as he stood in the entrance to the kitchen, leaning on the wall and simply looking at the room he was about to enter, he found himself thinking about the story he had told her today.  The one about her birthday.

Minho remembered that night very well.  He had been so nervous.  He chuckled a little at the memory. 

“Come inside.”  He beckoned for her to follow, and he led her into the living room. 

The space had been transformed.  The borrowed table was covered with the red and white tablecloth, and it looked like it would be outdoors, on a nice balcony at a restaurant.  Minho offered her his hand, saying, “Your table is this way ma’am.”

She giggled and accepted his hand, letting her her to the table.  Minho stood in front like a waiter, and he handed her a piece of cardstock.  On it were the words “MENU” and a list of options. 

“Can I get you something to drink?” he asked like a professional.

“I would love a glass of lemonade,” she replied.

“Of course ma’am!  And may I recommend the special?  It’s spaghetti and meatballs,” Minho told her politely.

“Hmm…I do love spaghetti.  But I was thinking of trying the…spinach casserole?” she responded with a teasing smirk and wide, fake-innocent eyes.

“So the special it is, then?” Minho continued, “Good choice!”

She laughed again.  The sound was like music to Minho’s ears.  “Sure.  The special it is I guess,” she conceded.

“Wonderful!” he exclaimed, whisking away the menu and heading to the kitchen.  First he grabbed a couple glasses and poured some lemonade in both.  Her favorite drink was lemonade, so he had made sure to make a fresh pitcher earlier that day.  He returned to the table and placed the drinks down before going back to the kitchen.  The spaghetti was still simmering on the stove, so he knew it was warm.  He took out two plates and filled them with noodles, sauce, and his mother’s famous meatballs.  He added a couple basil leaves on top to make it look fancy.  Smiling to himself, extremely pleased with his work, Minho carefully balanced the plates on his way out to the living room. 

“Your dinner, ma’am,” he announced as he set the plate down in front of her with a flourish.

“Yum!  It looks delicious!”  She her lips and picked up her fork, looking expectantly at Minho.

“…And as a surprise, I will be joining you tonight!” he added happily.

“Oh, well isn’t that nice!” she exclaimed.

He sat down across from her and they began to eat, talking in between bites.  Their conversation was light and filled with joy.  She didn’t stop smiling the whole time.  Minho still had butterflies in his stomach, as he hoped desperately that she was sincerely enjoying herself. 

When it came time for dessert, he became the waiter again.  This time, he didn’t give her any options, he just came back with an elaborate ice cream sundae, topped with whipped cream, hot fudge, and- of course- a maraschino cherry.  He set it down and pulled out two spoons from behind his back, along with a single candle and a lighter.  He stuck the candle in the ice cream and lit it.  The room was dim since the sun was setting outside, and with the flame’s glow he could see her start to tear up.  He started to sing to her.  “Happy birthday to you.  Happy birthday to you…”

She put a hand to and a tear slipped out of the corner of her eye.  But she was smiling.

When he finished the song, he offered her a spoon, and she took it, still a little teary.  They finished most of the sundae, and Minho took it away.  He came back with a slip of paper.  “Here’s the bill,” he informed her, passing over the paper. 

“What?  I’m going to have to pay?” she inquired curiously.

Minho just shrugged.

She raised an eyebrow and glanced at the “receipt”, and her face broke into a huge smile.  She stood up and flung her arms around his neck, kissing him deeply.  The kiss tasted like ice cream, and it was one of the most memorable kisses Minho had ever had.  The paper fell to the floor, face up.  It read, “The cost is a kiss.”

Just when she thought it couldn’t get any better, he pulled her gently over to the place where the couch usually sat.  He pulled a blanket off a shelf and spread it out on the floor.  She gave him a questioning glance, so he explained.  “Since the city is too light to see the stars, I came up with a different idea.”

He laid down on the blanket, patting the spot next to him.  She did the same, curling up with her head on his chest.  The lights were already off, and the shades were closed.  As the sun sunk fully beneath the horizon, the room got darker and darker, revealing his special surprise.

Up on the ceiling, dozens of stars started to glow.  She gasped and snuggled closer.  He looked down his chin and grinned successfully.  “Happy birthday,” he murmured.  She turned her head and smiled a perfect, beautiful, blissful smile before lowering her lips to his.

 

 

Author's Note: I hope you guys like this chapter, because it's definitely one of my favorites so far.  It took me a while to come up with the idea for her birthday, but I finally did! Isn't Minho so sweet? <3 I'm really liking this story, 'cause it's somewhere for me to let out all my fluffy romance! Plus, I really like the plot! Be prepared...twists are to come! :) Thanks for reading! And please comment and subscribe!