The Second Story

Listen to the Heartbeat

 

Minho returned to the hospital early the next morning.  He always wanted to make sure she never woke up alone.  When she opened her eyes, he wanted to be the first thing she saw.  Although he hadn’t gotten much sleep last night, he knew it was nothing compared to what she must be feeling right now.  So he forced his eyes open at an ungodly hour and made the all-too-familiar drive to the hospital.  The nurses were friendly with him; they knew him well by now. 

When he reached her room, he stood beside her bed and carefully smoothed stray hair off her forehead.  He bent down to press his lips to her pale skin before taking his seat.  He was content with watching her sleep.  She looked at peace and relaxed, a small smile on her face.  Minho wondered what she was dreaming about.  A better chance at life, perhaps. 

Half an hour later, she drowsily opened her eyes and immediately smiled.  “Yeobo,” she murmured. 

Minho perked up at her quiet voice, and he straightened in his chair.  “Good morning,” he whispered as he caressed her cheek, “How are you feeling today?”

She stretched a little bit, moving around to get the blood flowing.  “I’m feeling good, Minho!  Will you take me on a walk today?” she inquired with wide eyes, implementing a bit of aegyo.

He nodded.  “As long as the doctor says it’s okay, I would love nothing more,” he gave in willingly. He stood up and exited to find the nearest nurse.  He found one of her nurses down the hallway, and he asked her if his girlfriend would be allowed to go on a walk through the hospital’s gardens today.  She gave her approval, and he returned to the room with the nurse to give her the news and get her ready. 

At this, her face gained a little color as she heard that she was able to go.  The nurse made Minho leave again as she got her ready.  The nurse opened the door and led Minho’s girlfriend out into the hall, handing her off to her boyfriend with a small smile.  The smile was filled with pity, but he brushed it off.  Today was going to be a good day, he could feel it.  He didn’t need anyone raining on their parade right now. 

He reached down and entwined his fingers in hers.  She looked beautiful, even with the hospital gown.  She had lost a lot of weight since the treatment started, but she could always put on a smile.  She was his angel, and he loved her with all his heart. 

He led her through the hallways and out the door to the small garden that the hospital maintained for patients.  She loved this garden.  Just like she had when they first met, she still loved nature.  They strolled leisurely along, following the pathway through the flowers. 

“Tell me another story, Minho!” she demanded, batting her eyelashes cutely. 

He laughed.  “Alright!  Which one?”

She scrunched up her nose in thought.  Finally, she decided, “Our first date!”

He chuckled again, but he obliged.  “Okay, okay.  Let’s see now.  It took a week after their first meeting for Minho to finally work up the courage to call her…”

He paced back and forth in his apartment anxiously, staring intently down at his cell phone screen.  The number the girl had given him was already punched in.  All he had to do was press ‘send’.  He in a deep breath and pressed down his thumb.  He held the phone up to his ear and waited.  With every ring, another knot was tied in his stomach. 

Finally she picked up.  “Yoboseyo?”

“Yoboseyo, it’s the guy from the park.  You know, we met last week?” Minho managed to stutter.

“Yes of course!  The one who runs!  How could I forget?” she said lightheartedly.

Minho let out the breath he had been holding.  She remembered him.  That had to be a good sign!  “Well,” he paused to clear his throat awkwardly, “I was wondering if you would want to meet for lunch tomorrow?”

She didn’t respond right away.  “Are you asking me for a date?” she sounded…excited and sly at the same time. 

Minho resumed his pacing, bouncing from foot to foot to release nervous energy.  “Umm…yeah, I guess!” he replied.

“You don’t even know my name!” she pointed out.

“I don’t need to know your name to know I want to see you again,” Minho confessed.  He felt a blush redden his cheeks.  He knew how ridiculous he must sound to her.

Another few seconds of silence.  Minho felt like he would burst from the suspense! 

“Then, yes.  I would love to go on a date with you,” she eventually answered. 

“Great!” Minho cried, “I can pick you up tomorrow at noon!”

“Sounds like a plan.  I work at 320 First Street. You can just wait outside,” she told him.

“I’ll be there,” he promised.  After he hung up, he pumped his fist in the air.  Yes!  She agreed!

The next day, he arrived at her office building at exactly noon.  He waited next to the passenger’s door for her to come out.  As she walked down the steps toward him, he opened the door like a true gentleman. “Nice to meet you, my name is Choi Minho,” he informed her as he held his hand out for her to shake.  She smiled and did the same.

They ended up at a cute, little restaurant with outdoor seating.  Of course, they sat on the balcony and enjoyed the sun.  They enjoyed a peaceful lunch, and the more Minho learned about this girl, the more he felt that this was…right.  He was meant to be with her.  She was smart, kind, gorgeous, and she had a good heart.  Someday, he knew, he wanted to marry this girl.  This was the first date, but it was not to be the last. 

Back in reality, Minho turned his gaze down to his love.  She had tears in her eyes.  “You really felt that way?” she choked out, with a tearful smile.  She sounded as if she didn’t believe it.

He wanted to make her believe it.  “I felt it then, and I feel it now, a thousand times more.” 

He lowered his head and kissed her on the lips.  She wrapped her arms around his neck as the kiss deepened.  A single tear of happiness dripped down her cheek.  They embraced for a long time, simply holding each other underneath the trees. 

 

Author's Note: Thanks to my 3 subscribers! Love you guys! :) I like this chapter a lot, I think it's cute! Please subscribe and comment! I hope you guys like it!!