The Third Story

Listen to the Heartbeat

 

The next morning, Minho awoke to the ringing of his cell phone.  The popular song “Lucifer” rang through his silent apartment.  He rolled over in bed, groaning at the early hour.  He picked up his phone and checked the number.  Her parents!  Minho shot up and accepted the call.  “Yoboseyo, Mr. and Mrs. Jin, has something happened?” he inquired hurriedly.

“No, Minho,” her mother reassured him, “Nothing’s happened.  We were wondering if you were planning on visiting our daughter today.”

He was a little taken aback by her question.  “Ma’am I visit your daughter every day,” he replied truthfully.

“Of course you do.  You are a good boy, Choi Minho. A good boy for her indeed.  Well we are going to join you two today, if that’s okay,” she continued, and he could hear the sad smile in her voice.

“That would be nice!” he told her, “She would love to see you!”

“Wonderful! We’ll be there around 10:00, then,” she finished.  With a click, their phone call ended, and Minho rose from bed to get dressed.  He dressed nicer than usual because of the guests they were going to have.  Looking at the time, his eyes widened, and he gasped.  He didn’t want to be late!  He ran down the stairs and out onto the street to catch a cab. 

He got there right on time.  She was just waking up.  “I’m so sorry babe!” he apologized sincerely, “I overslept a little.”

She was standing at the mirror brushing her hair, with a nurse hovering in the background.  She turned as he entered and slowly made her way over to him with the nurse holding her elbow.   As she reached him, she stood on her tiptoes to place a quick kiss on his lips. “It’s okay oppa,” she said as she touched his cheek with a smile, “I can forgive you just this once.”

He returned the grin and gave her a gentle hug, pausing to inhale her scent.  “Your parents are coming today,” he murmured into her hair. 

She pulled back, her eyes surprised and happy. “Really?” she gasped.

“Yes,” he confirmed, “I spoke with your mom on the phone this morning!”

“That’s great!” she exclaimed.

“Yes it is!” he chuckled at her excitement, “What do you want to do until they get here?”

She bit her lip and stared around the room.  “How about we watch a movie?”

“Okay!” he agreed easily, “It’s your turn to pick.”

She turned to the nurse and said, “Pride and Prejudice!”  The nurse nodded and went to go get the DVD.  Minho started to move to his regular spot in the chair, but she grabbed his hand before he got there.  “No, sit with me today,” she protested.

“Wha-what do you mean? I’m right here.”  He gave her a confused look.

She plopped down on the bed and patted the spot next to her.  “Up here with me,” she demanded. 

He was happy to oblige, and he slid in next to her, wrapping his arms around her stomach and pulling her closer so her head rested on his chest.  The nurse put in the movie, but Minho dozed off partway through, the lack of sleep finally catching up with him.  She snuggled closer, and upon seeing her boyfriend asleep, she pecked him on the cheek and watched the rest of the movie herself. 

Near the end, the nurse knocked on the door and peeked in.  “Your parents are here!” she announced quietly, noticing the sleeping Minho.

Her parents entered with smiles and presents.  She woke up Minho, and he let out a huge yawn.  He snapped his mouth shut halfway through as his eyes landed on her parents.  They laughed, and he stood up to give them both a hug.  He reached back to help his girlfriend out of bed, and she greeted her parents too, overjoyed that they had come.  Her father handed his daughter a huge fluffy teddy bear, saying, “This little guy wants you to get well soon, just like the rest of us!” 

She squealed in happiness and gave her dad a kiss on the cheek.  “He’s so cute!  Thanks so much Umma and Appa!”

They sat and talked for a long time, chatting about the room, the hospital food, the conditions.  Anything but the treatment plans.  Because they knew as well as anyone that there wasn’t a plan anymore. 

Finally, she noticed the time and broke in with, “Minho-oppa it’s story time!”

Her parents turned to Minho with puzzled expressions.  “Recently, I’ve started telling her stories about us every day,” he explained.  Addressing his girlfriend, he asked, “Which one today?”

After a second of thought, she replied, “Our first kiss!”

He looked at her parents questioningly, and they gave their silent approval.  So, he began.

It was three weeks after their first date.  They had gone on seven more since then.  To the movies, restaurants, and even a theme park.  This time, however, Minho was taking her to the park where they had first met.  He picked her up after she got off of work and drove her to the park.  It was just getting dark, so there weren’t many people there.

He tentatively took her hand and led her to the bench.  He had memorized where it was; he jogged past that spot every day. 

“Aw Minho this is where we first met!” she cried, her eyes sparkling.

They were underneath a street light, so Minho could see every part of her beautiful face.  He couldn’t take his eyes off of it.  She was…mesmerizing.  She had a hold on him, and now was the time to tell it to her.   “Well, I brought you here for a reason,” he began his confession, “You see, since the day we met, I haven’t stopped thinking about you.  You have taken over my thoughts, and you have taken over my heart.”  He paused to take a deep breath, and he saw that she was smiling adoringly up at him.  He gathered strength from that expression, and he continued, “Tonight I want to ask you if…if you’d be my girlfriend.”

She clasped their hands together, and a huge smile broke over her face.  Then she parted her lips, and the word Minho so desperately wanted to hear filled the peaceful night air.  “Yes!” she exclaimed, joy radiating from her body.

He didn’t speak.  He didn’t know if he could speak, his heart was so full.  He pulled her thin frame into his arms and gave her a huge hug. 

When he pulled back, he cupped her face tenderly in his hands, using his thumb to lift her chin towards his face.  He leaned in.  She leaned in, and both their eyes closed.

Their lips met, and Minho didn’t think the moment could have been any more perfect.  He wasn’t about to say it out loud just yet, but he knew this girl was special.  He thought she could be…the one. 

But those thoughts drained out of his mind as quickly as they had entered as he let himself give in to the kiss. Her hands s around his neck, and his arms encircled her waist.

The light above shown down like an angel from heaven, telling them that someone up there approves. 

 

Author's Note: Hey there! :) I'll admit, this story is really growing on me.  At first, I just did it because one of my friends was forcing me to write a story...but now? I don't know, but it's definitely growing on me!  Also, it'd be really nice to have more people read this, I do work hard on these chapters.  But, oh well! Until next time, I hope you enjoy reading! Oh, one more thing! Be sure to check out my other story, Sherlock! <3 I love you all!