Chapter III - Knowledge

I Was Never Alone

“Jooyeon, can you come over? I have something really important to tell you, it can´t wait. Call me as soon as you hear this please. Please Jooyeon, call me!”

Jooyeon looked almost dumbfounded. She had never heard Dr. Jang so alarmed – or alarmed at all. For a moment she actually thought the worse: maybe she had a fatal disease!

“er.”, she mumbled to herself. Dr. Jang was her psychiatrist; he wouldn’t have such news to give her. “Then what could it be?”, she reflected out loud as it was usual for her to do.

Looking at the clock, she sighed. Despite being utterly curious (and mildly worried) about what her doctor had to tell her, it would have to wait until Monday. It was already 10 pm and his office closed at 8 pm.

“I can always call him to his private number.”, she remembered him saying he was always available in case she had any problem. But it wasn’t really a problem – as far as she knew – and she didn’t want to bother him on a weekend, so she decided against it.

“Monday I’ll call.”

 

It was late. The street lamps’ dim light was the only illumination the street could afford, even the moon was hidden, afraid of what was about to happen.

“I told you not to say a word.”, a deep, menacing voice growled from nowhere.

The middle aged man turned around, scared. I have to keep going, he told himself. For the past hour someone had been following him, but, if he had escaped until now, he wouldn’t stop now that he was so close to reach security. Once in the house, I’ll be safe.

“Don’t mess with other’s lives!”

“I know who you are! I remember you and I will call the police if you don’t go away!”, the man threatened, hoping it would scare his chaser. Either way, he was determined to call the police as soon as he got home.

His pace got faster and soon he was in front of his building. Not pausing to catch his breath, he punched the code and the door opened, allowing the man to enter the building. I’m safe now, he thought as he rushed to the elevator. In no time he reached his floor.

As he stepped out of the elevator, a strange smell invaded his nostrils, slightly nauseating him.

He looked to his right, thinking that, once again, his neighbor had left a garbage bag in the hallway. As he squinted his eyes to have a better look under the faint light, he saw nothing. The hallway was eerily empty. Chills invaded his body and he turned left, dying to finally get home.

Getting closer to the door, the man could feel the smell intensifying and he could swear it smelled somewhat like rust.

Entering his house’s code, he swiftly opened the door. The smell immediately rushed to is longs, intense and sickening. He had to pause for a moment and control his stomach. As soon as he was sure he wouldn’t vomit, the man rushed to the living room, not even preoccupied in taking off his shoes. Frightened, he turned the lights on and an agonizing cry instantly escaped from his sudden dry mouth.

Greeting him was the most grotesque and excruciating scene he could possibly imagine.

 Tears ran through his face; he fell on his knees, his body unable to move.

Before him were his dead wife and daughter. The woman had her limbs severed from her body, lying on the ground in awkward positions, her guts hanging from her fully open stomach. The teenager was hanging from the chandelier, her body swinging lifeless, only secured by a rope tightly tied to her neck. She looked terrified and her face and clothes were soaked wet in blood.

“There is no escape from me.”, a known voice whispered right into the man’s hear.

He didn’t move. Between cries he managed to mumble his last words. “I know who you are.”

The other laughed disturbingly and the man soon joined his family.

 

Monday arrived quickly. After spending two days locked home working on her thesis, Jooyeon looked like a sun and sleep deprived zombie and Gyuri made a point of telling her that… Three times.

“I barely slept. Leave me be.”, Jooyeon protested, yawning.

“Okay, whatever”, Gyuri shrugged.

As they were chatting in the cafeteria, a boy walked in, catching Gyuri’s attention.

“Look, me future husband.”, she sighed, looking at him lovingly.

“Who is he?”, Jooyeon asked, not bothering to look.

“A new guy in my course. He is just perfect!”, Gyuri sounded like a teenager.

“Whatever.”, Jooyeon stuffed with food.

“Sure, now you have Byunghee and…”

Before Gyuri could finish, Jooyeon started coughing.

“Hey, don’t need to be embarrassed!”, Gyuri laughed and patted her friend’s back.

“We’re not dating.”, Jooyeon mumbled between coughs.

“Yet. You’re not dating yet!”, Gyuri smiled and Jooyeon sighed.

“Oh! He’s coming!”, Gyuri suddenly squealed.

“Who’s…”, but before Jooyeon didn’t finish her question.

Before her eyes was a tall, handsome man with a beautiful smile and mysterious eyes.

“Gyuri, just the girl I was looking for.”, he said in his enchanting voice and Gyuri squealed again, smiling like a maniac.

“And who is your friend?”, he turned to Jooyeon. Strangely she couldn’t take her eyes off of his. For a moment she could have sworn the appeared menacing, almost maniac, but she could spot nothing more than sweetness on his features.

“That’s Jooyeon”, Gyuri introduced, not taking her eyes off of the man. Jooyeon smiled at him.

“Jooyeon, this is…”, Gyuri was going to introduce him, but he spoke first.

“No Minwoo”, and his smile grew wider.

 

“Hello this is Lee Jooyeon. I’m here to speak with Dr. Jang”, she informed as she arrived at the desk. The woman behind it looked at her.

“I’m sorry, but weren’t you informed?”, the woman asked, her voice hinting a mixture of surprise and annoyance.

“No, I was not.”, Jooyeon frowned. “Is there a problem?”, she inquired.

“My coworker is new here. I’m sorry”, the woman apologized before explaining. “Dr. Jang scheduled last minute vacations. He called yesterday morning. It appears he wanted a week off to get some rest. He’s not exactly young and this job requires a lot from him, you see.”, the woman informed.

“Oh, I see.”; Jooyeon commented, slightly disappointed. “The, please, can you ask him to call me as soon as he get back?”, she asked.

“Yes, don’t worry.”, the woman took note.

“Thank you.”, Jooyeon left. “I should have called on Friday.”, she regretted, mumbling to herself, as a bad feeling crept in her head.