Chapter I - Happy Beginnings

I Was Never Alone

 “Where am I?”, Jooyeon asked herself as soon as she woke up. She could feel the cool breeze against her skin and the cold and hear cars and people. Opening her eyes, Jooyeon found herself lying down on the hard white brick floor of her balcony.

“I can´t believe this.”, she sighed, getting up. As soon as she stepped forward, a Styrofoam coup fell off, along with chopsticks.

“I ate noodles?”, Jooyeon cried, taking her hands to her head in frustration.

Once again, Jooyeon had sleepwalked and eaten. When she thought everything was under control, her sleepwalking attacks came back.

After throwing away the coup of noodles and the chopsticks, Jooyeon went to take a shower. Since she had plenty of time before classes, she took her time. When she finished showering and dressing, she ate an apple – she wasn´t hungry because of the noodles – and then left to college.

“Make an appointment with Dr. Jang.”, she told herself while writing a note in her cell phone.

 

“Jooyeon, you look like a mess. A hot one, but still...”, Gyuri, one of her friends, told her as soon as she reached the gates.

“Well, thank you very much Park Gyuri. I know I can always count on you to praise me.”, Jooyeon rolled her eyes.

“Let me guess: you are having somnambulism problems again.”, Victoria, another friend, guessed.

“I thought I was better. I even ate noodles.”, Jooyeon tried to laugh about the situation.

Jooyeon had found out she had a sleep disorder when she was ten years old, after her parents found her singing in the middle of the night. Her sleepwalking didn’t get better after going to the doctor and Jooyeon would wake up and find herself in the kitchen surrounded of food, or even outside her house. However, when she left home and found her own apartment, the somnambulism attacks stopped. Now, two years after, they were back to torment her.

“Were you that hungry?”, someone whispered in her ear, making her jump and squeal.

“Ah! Byunghee, you scared me!”, she punched her friend – and love interest- in the chest. He laughed.

“What’s wrong?”, Jooyeon asked Byunghee. He was staring at her, getting closer and closer.

“You have dark circles under your eyes. You must be tired.”, he straightened himself and patted her head.

“I’m not. But I’m full. I guess I ate more than one coup of noodles.”, Jooyeon laughed.

 

Jooyeon spent the rest of her day from class to class and her only free time was during lunch, which she spent with Byunghee. They knew each other for seven years, but her interest for Byunghee had only bloom when they entered college. Byunghee also seemed to like her, but they never said anything to each other. Nonetheless, they flirted with each other a lot, even if unconsciously; it was like everyone knew that there was something between them, except for them.

After college, she and Byunghee went to the library, as they needed to study for the upcoming exams.

“After this, do you want to go grab something to eat?”, Jooyeon asked, not taking her eyes of a book she was using.

“Are you asking me on a date?”, Byunghee smirked.

“If you want to call it a date, fine with me. But the bill is on you.”, Jooyeon laughed.

“How is that fair?”, Byunghee raised a brow.

“I’ll pay for dinner next time.”, Jooyeon smiled.

 

“Thank you so much for the dinner, I had a great time.”, Jooyeon smiled at Byunghee.

“I won’t forget that you owe me a dinner.”, Byunghee said.

“I won’t either. How about next week?”, Jooyeon looked at him, hoping he would say yes.

“How about this week?”, Byunghee smirked at her and she chuckled.

“Sounds great. See you tomorrow.”, Jooyeon smiled bashfully at him and bowed.

“You can’t leave me like this.”, Byunghee chuckled and took her hand.

“What do you mean?”, Jooyeon gave him a look, suddenly feeling hot because of his touch.

Byunghee leaned forward and kissed Jooyeon. He didn’t take too long, but it was enough to make Jooyeon’s heart skip a beat.

“Now you can go. See you tomorrow Lee Jooyeon.”, Byunghee let go of Jooyeon’s hand and slightly pushed her inside the building. She simply nodded, still awestruck by Byunghee’s move, and got in.

She entered the elevator with a silly smile on her face.

“Oh God!”, she smiled and skipped happily.

The elevator stopped and Jooyeon got out skipping and spinning. Her head was spinning around and her heart was pounding harder and harder.

She reached to open her apartment door when she noticed a bouquet on the floor, in front of the door.

“What is this?”, she asked as she picked it up. The bouquet had four roses, each with a different colour: black, yellow, blue and white. Jooyeon then noticed a little card that had written “Happy 20th Birthday Lee Jooyeon”. She found it weird, because her birthday had been a while ago and she had twenty four years old, not twenty.

She went inside and changed into some comfortable clothes after putting the roses in water.

“Maybe it’s not for me.”, she thought out loud. She couldn’t possibly be the only Lee Jooyeon in all South Korea.

“Food delivery!”, she heard a man calling from outside her door after knocking twice. Jooyeon rushed to open the door.

“I’m sorry, but I think you have the wrong person.”, Jooyeon said. She frowned. What’s happening?

“Is your name Lee Jooyeon?”, the man asked.

“It is, but I didn’t ask this. I’m sorry, but I won’t pay for this or accept it. I didn’t ask for food delivery.”, she told them man.

He gave her a weird look and cleared his throat.

“Someone sent this for you. They already paid.”, the man informed her.

“What? Who?”, she asked, finding this whole situation weird. The man gave her yet another weird look and then shook his head.

“The person asked to remain anonymous. I’ll just leave this here.”, he pointed at a tray full of food.

“Thanks, I guess.”, Jooyeon bowed.

“Oh!”, the man turned around, already next to the elevator, “The person asked me to wish you a happy 20th birthday.”, the man bowed and left.