In Sickness and in Health

Chibi YunJae One-Shot Series

Two Years Later...

“Yunnie-baby, why haven’t you touched your food? Dinner is almost done honey.” Mrs. Jung softly murmured, directing concern-filled eyes at her precious son.

The reply she received was a heavy huff while Yunho continued to poke food around his plate.

Of course, she knew the reason why Yunho was acting so sullen the past two days, but she also knew that she couldn’t let her son do as he wished. Jaejoong’s parents had told them that their little boy would need lots of rest, especially since his flu didn't seem to be letting up.

Gaze darting to the husband sitting opposite her, the couple shared a look of helplessness. With a heavy sigh, Mrs. Jung opened to speak once more while she caressed her son's plump cheeks. “Ohh, sweetheart, you just have to wait until Jaejoong ah gets better.”

“Yunho, your umma is right, waiting is all we can do right now.” Mr. Jung chided in. “And it’s not good for you to be neglecting your health. Do you think Jaejoong ah would be happy knowing that you refused to eat and got sick because you kept worrying over him?”

The young boy continued to stay silent, not a hint of his usual cheerfulness was left on him.

Placing his chopsticks down the table, the father of the family reached out a gentle hand towards his son’s dark strands. “Once Jaejoong ah gets better, I promise I’ll talk to your Uncle and Auntie Kim so we can take the two of you to an amusement park for a whole day. Would you like that?”

“I just wanna see Jaejoongie-hyung.” Little Yunho replied midst sulk.

Lifting his head and meeting his father’s soft gaze, the young boy’s lower lip began to quiver, eyes glistening with unshed tears. “I thought married people always stay with each other through sickness and in health? That’s what Umma told Changminnie to ask us when she helped me and Jaejoongie-hyung get married!" Though it was from two years ago, Yunho could never forget anything that happened that day at the attic. It was his wedding day after all.

Yunho’s face fell. "Why can’t I visit him now? He’s sick and I know he needs me there. Isn’t he my wifey? I should stay with him.” he paused. "But you won't let me see him.” Yunho sniffed, rubbing the tears from his eyes with the back of his hand as he chewed at his bottom lip. “This is unfair.”

Pinching at the bridge of his nose as he gazed at his son’s crestfallen expression at the corner of his eyes, a heavy sigh was heard from Mr Jung. “You’re right this is unfair.” he conceded as he reached out a hand once more towards the small boy and ruffled his hair. “We’re going to go and visit Jaejoong ah tonight but promise me that you would behave at the Kim’s house, alright?”

A smile began to form on Mr. Jung’s lips upon noticing how Yunho’s eyes instantly sparkled. “Of course Appa!” The look of happiness flitting across the young boys’ face was bright as the sun. “I will be good I promise!” Yunho exclaimed excitedly as he hopped off his chair and ran to his father’s side, wrapping both arms around the man’s torso, at least to the point of what he could reach. “You’re the best Appa in the whole while world. I love you, I love you, I love you!”

Extracting his son’s small frame from his middle, Mr. Jung palmed his little boy’s face with both hands as he leaned down and gave him a soft peck on the cheek. “Appa loves you too Yunho.” he said, smiling dotingly at his son. “Now, why don’t you go to your mother and give her a hug too, so we can finish eating and we can go to Jaejoong ah’s house.”

“Yay!” Yunho hollered and nodded his head vigorously before sprinting to his mother’s side and gave her a dose of his embrace. After that was done, Yunho quickly went back to his chair and began to eat whole-heartedly. He was starving all of a sudden.

The Jung couple looked at each other and shared a smile as they gazed at the expressions of complete happiness and elation flashing across their son's face, the sight enveloping their hearts in its welcoming warmth.

 

~+~


“I’m sorry for stopping by so suddenly JaeJin.” Mr. Jung apologized at his friend who was wearing a disgruntled expression on his face as he placed his hands on the metallic bars of the front gate. “But Yunho really wants to see Jaejoong ah.”

“It’s fine.” Kim JaeJin, Jaejoong’s father replied as he gazed down at the boy beside his bestfiend’s figure. Pulling the bars off the lock, Mr. Kim opened the gate and gestured for the father and son to get inside. Giving a short bow, Yunho and Mr. Jung did as they were told. “I was just actually about to go to your place. Joongie’s been asking for Yunho ah non-stop.” a distressed pause. “His temperature’s still really high and it’s beginning to worry us.”

“His body isn’t used to being under so much strain. It’s understandable if all the fatigue got to him.” Mr. Jung replied in concern. “But it’s nothing serious right? The doctors didn’t say anything about another sickness?”

“They said Joongie just needs lots of rest. But he’s restless and he keeps on asking for your son.” JaeJin voiced out, concern lacing every word. “I guess it’s also a part of why he isn’t recovering fast. He’s constantly stressing himself out for Yunho ah.”

“Sorry about that man.” Mr. Jung apologized, sighing heavily.

“It’s fine. I guess I sort of got used to it already. When Yunho ah had been sick last month, the same thing pretty much happened.” Mr. Kim answered, smiling softly at the memory of his Joongie mother-hening his bestfriend. “The boys are practically joined at the hip Junho-yah.”

"They sure are."

Suddenly, Yunho’s voice filtered between them. Both Kim and Jung fathers looked down at the little boy as he spoke. “I’m sorry Uncle. I told Jaejoongie-hyung that he shouldn’t have spent too much time under the sun, but he didn’t listen.” Yunho worriedly said as the three of them began their pace towards the front door. “He shouldn’t have forced himself on the monkey bars. Seongsangnim said that it was okay even if he didn’t complete the exercise but he’s so stubborn.”

Yunho’s voice took on a quivering tone again, as he felt a sob rise in his throat. “I should have stopped him. He was sweating so much and he kept pushing himself and I… I… he wouldn’t listen to me and he kept saying he could do it. He insisted he wasn’t weak. Shindong was being mean again and called Jaejoongie-hyung weak because he kept falling. Shindong was so mean and I punched him!" Yunho's voice broke as he stifled a sob. "And now… now Jaejoong-hyung got sick.”

Resting a gentle hand on the boy’s head, JaeJin softly spoke. “It’s alright Yunho ah, you’re not to blame for what happened.”

“But Uncle I feel like it was my fault.” Yunho rubbed at his eyes again when tears bean to trickle down his cheek. "I just watched him, I should have tried harder to stop him. I'm so sorry."

At first, he didn’t really liked the idea of his son and his bestfriend’s son being too close for comfort but with each opportunity of seeing just how much they mean to each other, JaeJin couldn’t help but feel that he had no right to ruin such a beautiful relationship, especially seeing such a look of sorrow in Yunho’s face. It would undoubtedly melt even the darkest of souls.

Mr. Kim guessed that he should be grateful at least, grateful that his best friend’s son was always there for his Joongie when he needed him, and vice versa.


“It was no one’s fault. Kids your age get sick a lot Yunho ah. Don’t blame yourself alright? Or you might get sick too.” Mr. Kim inwardly sighed. “And I think we all know how much that would sadden Joongie. So look after yourself, okay? And make sure you don’t fall ill.”

Placing a comforting hand and ruffling the boy’s hair, Mr. Kim felt warmth blanket his frame as he gazed at the small smile forming on Yunho’s face. “Yes Uncle.”

Emerging into the living room, Mrs. Kim instantly rushed towards them, a strained smile painting her lips. “Wow, that was fast sweetheart.” She remarked in surprise. Her husband had just after all, gone out a few minutes ago to go to the Jung’s house in hopes that he could fetch their son Yunho. Her precious baby Joongie just wouldn’t stop asking for him.

“They were already by the gates when I went out.” JaeJin replied, gesturing at his bestfriend.

“Auntie, Uncle. Can I go see Jaejoongie-hyung now?” There was impatience in his voice, eyes already glued towards the stairs that would lead him to his bestfriend’s bedroom.

"Oh of course Yunho ah." Mrs. Kim answered. "And could you please persuade Joongie to eat the soup that I left at his bedside? He refuses to eat anything since this morning. And it's not good for him to be sick and having an empty stomach."

Another wave of worry blossomed in Yunho's young heart. "I'll make sure he eats Auntie."

When the adults gave him their go signal, Yunho quickly ran up the stairs.



~+~

Cold. It was so cold. For the past two nights, Jaejoong felt like he was inside a freezer. Blanket after blanket was already on top of him but the coldness still managed to seep through his body. And to add to his miseries, his nose was running, his eyes were stinging, his head was throbbing and his throat felt like a cardboard box. In other words, he felt disgusting.

On his bedside was the soup his Umma prepared for him but he simply lost his appetite. “I’m dyinggggg.” Little Jaejoong groaned in pain under the covers, breaking down into another crying fit. If only his Yunho-yah was there, then things would at least feel better.

Well, Jaejoong didn’t really know if he would feel better but he did know that whenever Yunho was around, he felt happy. He could be sick and happy at the same time just as long as his best friend and hubby was there. What he didn’t like was being sick, alone and miserable.

Didn’t Changminnie asked them during the wedding vows if they would stay together, richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health? Both of them said "I do" already. So why was he alone?

Another pained groan fell from Jaejoong’s parched lips as he deftly turned to his other side. What was the use of getting married if his Umma and Appa won’t let his Yunho-yah visit him anyway?

Amidst the fever, Jaejoong began to sulk.

The creaking sound of the bedroom door being opened filled the little boy's ears. Thinking that it was his Umma pestering him to eat again, Jaejoong buried himself deeper into the covers and yelled out a short 'I'm not hungry!' despite the fact that his throat felt like it was on fire.

"Jaejoongie-hyung." The voice had the small boy's head whipping to the source of the sound. Which proved to be a very bad move, when he experienced another brainsplitting headache. Jaejoong screwed his eyes shut, groaning and at the pain.

When he heard the pained voice of his best friend, Yunho nearly slammed the door shut before he ran towards the bed and jumped on it, trying to find his wifey, (because yes, they were hubby and wife now, his Umma said so too,) beneath the bedspreads. "Jaejoongie-hyung, are you okay?"

"Yunnie." Jaejoong's voice was awashed with joy and relief even if he was hurting. "You came."

"Where are you?" Yunho watched the lump on the bed move for some endless seconds before Jaejoong finally poked his head out from the mounds of blankets he had been trapped underneath. Quickly crawling towards his best friend's frame, Yunho closed his arms around him and murmured lovingly against his ear. "Jaejoongie, I missed you so much."

"Me too." Jaejoong replied as he hugged Yunho just as tight. His head hurt and his body felt sore, but he found himself not caring just as long as Yunho would keep holding him like that. Resting his chin on Yunho's shoulder, Jaejoong's eyes fluttered close. "What took you so long?"

"Umma and Appa won't let me visit." Yunho answered, gently pulling back from the hug. "They only allowed me to visit tonight because I didn't want to eat anymore." Despite being sick, Jaejoong still managed to pinch him in the side. Yunho flinched. "Ow, hyung that hurts."

"Why did you not eat?" Jaejoong forced the words past a flaming throat.

"I already did. When Umma and Appa told me I could visit you. I ate a lot." Yunho hastily explained. Jaejoongie never liked it when Yunho didn't look after himself. Palming his best friend's face in his hand, a frown creased his forehead upon noticing how pale Jaejoong had gotten, and his teeth kept chattering. "Jaejoongie, you don't look so good."

"Throat hurts." Jaejoong hoarsely replied. It was obvious he was having a hard time swallowing. His teeth were chattering again as he covered himself with the blankets. "And it's cold."

"You shouldn't talk so much. It'll only get worse." Craning his neck towards the bedside, Yunho’s gaze landed on the bowl of soup that his Auntie had told him about. Turning his attention back on Jaejoong, he added. “Jaejoongie you should eat.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“But you’re sick. You should eat a little. Didn’t you say when I was sick before that I should eat if I want to get well?”

Jaejoong huffed out a breath and rested his head against Yunho’s chest. “Yeah.” After a heavy sigh, he continued. "You're right." Jaejoong pulled back from his comfortable spot on Yunho's body and wrinkled his nose in distaste. "But just a little okay? I don't think I can eat a lot."

"A little is okay. Just as long as you have something in your tummy." Yunho beamed as he began to prop Jaejoong's back on the pillows, making him partially sit upright. The blankets were still wrapped around his body up to his neck. And it drove a deep sense of worry in the little boy's heart again, as he wondered how cold Jaejoong might be feeling at that moment.

Clearing his thoughts, Yunho crawled over to the bedside and took the bowl of soup. For a period of time, Yunho sat beside Jaejoong on the bed as he blew soft breaths on the spoon containing the soup that he was to feed his bestfriend.

Jaejoong would complain about how he didn't want to eat at all. But Yunho would put on this determined look in his face as he urged the other boy to eat.

Finally, when the contents of the bowl reached down to half, Jaejoong told Yunho that he couldn't eat anymore. With a sigh and a shrug, but he was also smiling, because at least Jaejoong ate, Yunho placed the bowl back to the bedside before settling down beside Jaejoong again.

The dim light of the lampshade was only giving a fraction of it's brightness as it surrounded them. Jaejoong's bed was infused with a warm glow, bathing their skin with an ethereal light, while the corners of the room remained pitch black.

The smaller boy was lying down on the bed beneath the blankets while Yunho sat beside him, holding his hand, while the other free hand was running soft touches on Jaejoong's damp forehead, wiping the perspiration that usually accumulated there.

Occasionally they would smile and giggle at each other, the sound of their laughter and voices the only noise present between them. Yunho would tell him funny things that happened at school for the past two days, of how Yoochun and Junsu were getting mushier every day, and how Changmin was as always a food monster. He told him that the other three missed him terribly and how they all couldn't wait to be five again. Jaejoong listened attentively to every word coming out of Yunho's mouth, though from time to time, he appeared to be dozing off.

"Yunnie-yah is warm." Jaejoong mumbled with half-lidded eyes, his hold on Yunho's hand tightening. "Soft... comfy." he sighed. However, the relaxed look on his face was short-lived.

Another chill seeped through Jaejoong's back and his eyes instantly snapped wide open, expression crumbling down as nasty shivers coursed through his frame. "Yunnie-yah, it's cold."

Yunho held his hand tighter, worry lines creasing his forehead. "Do you need more blankets?"

"They're not helping much." Jaejoong helplessly complained, a pout forming on his lips. "Your hands are warmer compared to the blankets."

"Really?" Yunho asked, gaze resting on their entwined fingers.

Jaejoong weakly nodded, directing the other boy with his hopeful gaze.

Of what he was hoping for, he really didn't know. But Jaejoong had a feeling that Yunho could make him feel warm. The kind that would at least make him catch a good night's sleep. Because he hasn't had any of that for the past two nights. "Your skin feels really warm."

After a moment of silence, as they looked at each other at a loss of what to do, a look of epiphany suddenly flashed across Yunho's face. Looking down, Yunho gave Jaejoong an assuring smile.

Taking his hand away from Jaejoong's grasp, to which the other boy whimpered in protest at the loss of the warmth, Yunho quickly brought his hand to either side of the shirt he was wearing and made a move of pulling the fabric off his frame as he told Jaejoong to wait for a bit.

Eyes widening in surprise at what his bestfriend was doing, Jaejoong simply stared. When the shirt made it out of Yunho's head, the young boy threw the material at the foot of the bed. Hands unbuckling on the belt loop of his pants next, Jaejoong turned a deeper shade of crimson, when Yunho stood on his feet and began to yank his pants down, revealing his short shorts.

"Yunnie-yah, what are you doing?" Jaejoong asked, not quite sure what his best friend was up to. Walking over towards the headboard, Yunho picked the blankets up and slipped himself underneath the covers. "Yunnie-yah." Jaejoong repeated when Yunho scooted close to him.

"I remember Appa doing this to me when I had a fever." Yunho began as he gently positioned himself on top of Jaejoong's form. Aligning his body along his bestfriend's frame, Yunho hovered over him, a few inches separating their skin. "Warm?" he innocently asked, hoping that it worked.

Jaejoong's eyes widened further when he realized that yes, it was getting warmer. "Wow." The smaller boy nodded his head, a smile flitting across his face. Above him, Yunho was grinning cheekily. Jaejoong would have grinned back too if it weren't for the thought that dawned on him. "But Yunnie, aren't you gonna be cold? You're not wearing anything."

"Jaejoongie, I have shorts. And I'm under the blankets and you're under me. And your skin feels really hot." A frown creased Yunho's forehead. "How can you be so cold when you feel so hot?"

Shaking his head, Jaejoong replied. "I don't..." he trailed off, a yawn escaping past his lips. "... know. Yunnie-yah, I'm sleepy." Jaejoong rubbed at his eyes. "You'll be staying here tonight right?"

"I'm sure Appa and Uncle would let me, if I asked them." Pressing himself down Jaejoong's feverish skin, Yunho bit at his lip. "Jaejoongie, my arms and legs are getting tired." He was just hovering after all and he was using energy to not let himself fall on top of his bestfriend.

Another yawn fell from Jaejoong's lips, while his eyes constantly fluttered open and close, in a sleepy daze. "Just... lie down on me Yunnie-yah, it's fine."

"But didn't you say I was heavy?"

"When you're being annoying early in the morning, you're heavy." Jaejoong replied, half-awake.

Yunho pouted cutely at his bestfriend but smiled nevertheless, since he was given the permission to rest his weight on Jaejoong. "Nah, Jaejoongie."

"Mmmm?" Jaejoong forced open his drowsy eyes to look up at Yunho, whose face was approaching his own. A smile began to form on Jaejoong's mouth when he felt Yunho's lips on him. Of course, he was sick. And it was only natural to give him a popo. It had always been like that between them. When Yunho lifted his head, Jaejoong opened his eyes and warmly smiled.

"There. You're going to be better tomorrow because I already gave you a popo." Yunho giggled to which Jaejoong nodded his head before his eyes fluttered close once more. Smiling happily, and feeling the languor of sleep seep into his own young body, Yunho gently let himself fall on top of Jaejoong and snuggled close into his neck, left arm wrapped around the other boy's waist, left leg resting across Jaejoong's thighs. "Night Jaejoongie."

"Night.... Yunnie." Jaejoong murmured in his sleep, a smile painted on his lips as he turned to the side with the intention to snuggle closer with his best friend. And for the first time in the two nights that passed, Jaejoong didn't feel cold anymore.



~+~

"So... I guess this means, Yunho is going to be sleeping here tonight."

Mr. Jung and the Kim couple were standing by the edge of Jaejoong's bed, watching the sleeping boys tangled in each other's arms. Gaze darting to a pair of pants and a shirt at the foot of the bed, Mr. Kim sighed heavily. "Well, it's the weekend tomorrow so I guess it's okay. Jaejoong ah would probably decide to hate us forever if we let Yunho ah go home anyway." Mr. Kim frowned at the near lack of clothing of his bestfriend's son when he gently tugged the blankets and looked underneath. "Though I would have preferred he kept his clothes on."

"Come on, they're kids. There's nothing wrong with that." Mr. Jung defended though he didn't quite believe his own words. Him and JaeJin had been very close when they were kids, but not to the extent that both their sons were in. "Yunho's just imitating what I did when he had a fever. Body heat works best you know."

"And he's doing it to my son." Mr. Kim pointed out, lips pursed in thought. "If he wasn't your son Junho or the fact that I have a soft spot for him in my heart, I would undoubtedly kick him out of my house for touching my Joongie like that."

"They're nine." Mr. Jung refused to believe his best friend just vaguely accused his Yunho of ually harassing his little boy. They were kids for pity's sake. Then again, JaeJin had always been uptight. One of the characters that he somehow liked about him.

"Oh enough you too." Mrs. Kim interjected, practically squealing. "Joongie looks peaceful and that's all that matters." Gaze flickering to Mr. Jung, Mrs. Kim bowed her head in gratitude. "Thank you for letting Yunho ah stay with us JunHo."

"My son can be very persuasive when he wants something." Mr. Jung chuckled softly before clamping a gentle hand on his best friend's shoulder. "Well, I guess I better go now. I'll come by first thing in the morning."

And with that the three adults exited the bedroom.



~+~


Groaning, mumbling, turning and ahhh, why did it feel so hot?

Jaejoong cracked one eye open, instantly shielding his eyes from the brightness that seeped through the window curtains. Another groan escaped him. It was morning already?

Lips parting into a yawn, it was only then that Jaejoong realized the heavy weight on top of him. Looking down he was met with the image of his bestfriend who was resting his head on his chest, and the mountain of blankets that was nearly burying them alive. No wonder it was so hot.

"Yunnie." Jaejoong called out as he began to shake the other's shoulder to wake him up.

Yunho groaned in his sleep before lifting his head and blearily looked down at him, blinking several times until he got used to the morning light. "Jaejoongie?"

"It's morning Yunnie-yah." Jaejoong murmured, reaching out a hand to caress Yunho's face.

"Oh." Yunho said before his head landed back on Jaejoong's chest once again, eyes closed shut. "I want to sleep more." he mumbled.

"But I want to get out of bed." Jaejoong complained and whined, it was really getting hot. There was so much blankets involved and Yunho felt so warm. Suddenly, realizing that he wasn't feeling so crappy anymore, Jaejoong's eyes widened as he began to fervently shake his bestfriend, an ecstatic smile creeping up on his face. "Yunnie-yah, my fever's gone!"

Yunho's head was instantly lifted as he gazed down at Jaejoong, the remnants of sleep leaving him. Feeling Jaejoong's forehead, a smile crept upon Yunho's mouth as well. "You're okay now."

"Yeah." Jaejoong said, a bark of laughter escaping past smiling lips as he opened his arms and wrapped them around Yunho's body. "Thank you." he said against the other's hair. Jaejoong knew that it was because Yunho had been there with him that he got better.

Pulling back, Yunho gazed down at Jaejoong and rubbed a thumb on his cheek. "You're not so pale anymore." he murmured in relief before leaning down to plant a soft kiss on the other's mouth. Jaejoong's eyes fluttered close as he began to kiss back. It had become a routine for them for the past two years, that it wasn't that surprising anymore. "Saranghe Jaejoongie."

Jaejoong let out a content sigh as he urged Yunho back towards his lips. "Saranghe Yunnie."

In the end, it was Yunho's presence all along that was Jaejoong's medicine.

END