Broken?

Disarranged Marriage

 

 

“Please pass the rice.” Daiki said as he eyed Amu across the table, wh was busy jotting down notes while her plateful of food rested barely touched in front of her. Obviously, they were eating together. The two of them. Only them.

 

See, their parents had arranged their marriage since their parents are business partners and are really good friends. So now, they were forced to live together ALONE in their OWN house and they are now loving together for two and a half months already. Still, nothing’s going on between the two. No heart to heart talks, no deep conversations, no bonding, no sweetness. Nothing. They’re both plain. Boring.

 

They couldn’t even be counted as a couple because again, there’s no sweetness. They even sleep in separate rooms. And to even mention that they are six years apart. They’re just merely living together.

 

But…is that really all??

 

--

 

“Please pass the rice.” Daiki repeated. This time, Amu looked up.

 

“What was that?” she blinked.

 

“I said please pass the rice.” Daiki replied. Amu then handed him the glass bowl and went back to her continuous writing.

 

Apparently, Amu is some kind of writer. She loves writing essays, jotting down her thoughts, and creating short stories. She’s this type of writer who doesn’t need to have drafts of what she was writing simply because what she writes are already perfect as they are once she had written them. No corrections. Perfect spelling. Perfect grammar. Perfect usage of sentences. What a great author she is.

 

But despite her perfect works, Amu herself knows that something is still missing. Something important…Inspiration.

 

“Uh…” Daiki started to say. “You might want to stop writing first? You should eat, you know.”

 

At this, Amu looked at Daiki and gave him a warm yet plain smile. Then she put down her pen and started eating.

 

--

 

After dinner, Amu went to the kitchen to wash the dishes. A few minutes later, a glass-break sound was heard.

 

Daiki went in to the kitchen and saw Amu picking up the broken pieces of a plate with her bare hands. Then, one of her fingers got pricked. She then immediately released the plate shards from her hand.

 

Daiki knelt down to face Amu. “Daijobu ka?”

 

“Un.” Amu nodded. “It’s nothing.”

 

They both stood up.

 

“You go upstairs and put providone on your wound.” Daiki commanded. “I’ll just sweep this up.”

 

Amu just nodded again and turned her back on Daiki…but then the guy just suddenly called her.

 

“Amu…” Daiki said almost in a whisper, an edge of shyness in his voice. “Just be careful next time.”

 

~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

The next day, Amu was again busy writing on her notebook when her phone rang.

 

Meanwhile, Daiki was getting something from the fridge so he heard Amu’s conversation.

 

“Yes, Ryu-kun?” Amu said as she answered her phone, she was still writing.

 

Daiki pulled out a large bottle of water and continuously but slowly drank it, wanting to overhear Amu’s conversation with Ryutaro, who was their- long-time friend.

 

After some nodding and ‘un’-ning, Amu suddenly put down her pen, which was a MIRACLE because she would only do that when she’s asleep, eating, or doing her business in the bathroom.

 

“Eh?” her eyes widened. She then caught a glance at Daiki, who was still drinking in the bottle. The guy just looked away from her, hoping that the girl wouldn’t push him away to have a private talk on the phone. And fortunately, she just ignored him.

 

“Aa?? The park?” Amu lowered her voice a bit as she asked Ryutaro, there’s something in her tone of voice that sounded like… a fan girl??

 

“So, see you tomorrow, then!” Ryutaro said on the other line and then he hung up.

 

--

 

Amu smiled widely as she stared over to nowhere as if she was daydreaming…and this is an UNUSUAL sight to Daiki.

 

He then decided to snap his fingers in front of the girl’s eyes as to wake her senses up. She just blinked.

--

 

Amu saw Daiki’s face and hers turned into a frown.

 

“What?” Daiki asked.

 

“Ah…anou…” she struggled for words.

 

“Hmmm??” the guy said as he took a seat on the dinner table.

 

“I think I should talk to our parents.” Amu finally said.

 

“Nande??” Daiki tilted his head.

 

Before answering again, Amu inhaled deeply and let out a really long sigh. “I think this arranged marriage should be broken.”