01

The Piano Knows Something I Don't Know

 

Kim Ryeowook was a pianist. An excellent pianist, mind you. He was in a very open relationship with Kim Kibum, whom he met at college four years ago. He was biual, so why not? He just finished college about a year ago. Every Thursday, from 3 PM to 11 PM, he's at his job at a small restaurant to play the piano. He would leave his apartment at about 2:40, since it was almost a twenty minute walk from his house. He had a fairly nice salary that could pay for his basic necessities and for his apartment, and could provide him with some small luxuries, but he chose to save that extra money anyway.

 

One thing Ryeowook didn't know was that he had an amazing voice. One of his two best friends, hyung, and co-worker, Lee Sungmin, overheard him singing once. Lee Sungmin plays guitar at the restaurant every Wednesday. Ryeowook made it part of his weekly routine to go to the restaurant every at 3 PM Wednesday to watch his hyung, and his hyung would make it part of his weekly routine to go to the restaurant every Thursday at 8 PM to 11 PM to watch his dongsaeng.

 

Sungmin told him countless times that Ryeowook should also sing at the restaurant since there's always the possibility that he'll get replaced as the pianist there. Ryeowook would something reply along the lines of, “Ehh, hyung, I would just be better off as a pianist. If I get replaced there, I would just find another place I could be a pianist at, or find another job I'd be okay with. But I will never sing.”

 

By Ryeowook's unfortunate luck, after about seven months at working at the small restaurant, they found another pianist.

 

The new pianist, Kim Jongwoon, would play the piano at 3 PM to 7 PM while Ryeowook would get the remaining hours. Ryeowook found himself sad at the news at first since it was just like being replaced, but he quickly brushed off the thought off of his mind.

 

Since there was a slight change at his work hours, there was also a change at his salary. It was just a small reduction, but he wouldn't be able to spend more money on luxuries more often. But, it's Ryeowook we're dealing with.

He's a frugal spender, and would be okay with a little reduction, and would just save the extra money like he always does.

 

But because of the change, Ryeowook was somewhat lonely. He usually goes on little friendly dates or just hang around with his best friends, Zhou Mi and Sungmin.

 

Zhou Mi was a fashion designer, and he was usually really busy from Wednesday to Friday. Ryeowook doesn't understand why his hyung keeps designing, even though the money Zhou Mi has saved would last for two people's lifetime. Zhou Mi simply replied, “I don't design for money, Wookie. I design because it's simply my passion.”

 

Sungmin taught a martial arts class most of the days of the week, save for Saturday, Monday and Wednesday. Sungmin also had a big sum of money like Zhou Mi, so Ryeowook also doesn't understand the fact that his hyung keeps working. Sungmin would tell him with a cute face that, “It's not like I have that much money like Mimi has. I still have to work, and there isn't much to do at my place anyway.”

 

It didn't bother Ryeowook that he wouldn't be able to hangout and chat with his precious Mimi hyung or Minnie hyung on Fridays, since that was the day he would walk around the city and spend most of the afternoon at the park, listening to his iPod his Mimi hyung gave him last Christmas.

 

He would usually spend his Wednesdays going to random places with Minnie hyung then going to the restaurant for Sungmin's job and Tuesdays shopping clothes and other stuff with Mimi hyung (though, Ryeowook usually ends up getting, getting because Zhou Mi buys it for him against his will, only a shirt, or a new pair of shoes, while Zhou Mi holds about 10 paperbags in each hand), and they would all hang out together on Mondays.

 

On Sundays, Ryeowook would talk endlessly on the phone with Kibum. Saturdays, he would explore most of the city or just sleep in.

 

Ryeowook was always against Zhou Mi buying stuff for him, but his arguments against him buying stuff became less meant, so it was just like a part of his instinct to disagree with the thought.

 

On Thursdays though, Ryeowook would wake up at eight o'clock in the morning, to have an hour walk around the neighborhood, try new dishes, since cooking is the only thing he loves as much as playing the piano, watch random movies and soap operas, eat lunch, take a long bath, then go to the restaurant. He finds this routine perfect since he never gets tired of it, but when the work hours changed, he found himself with a lot more time to waste.

 

Ryeowook, to be honest, panicked. He didn't know what to do with his spare time. He wanted to do something productive, but he didn't know what to do. He sighed and spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping, and woke up at 6:30. He had enough time to dress himself up, and walked to the restaurant just in time for his shift.

 

Weirdly, he never saw Kim Jongwoon playing the piano when he walked inside the restaurant. 'Maybe I'll see him next week.' He began to play his piece, Moonlight Sonata by Ludwig van Beethoven.

What he didn't know was, Kim Jongwoon was sitting at a table, watching him play.

 

An hour after he started his shift, he saw Sungmin and, shockingly, Zhou Mi. Since it was his break time, he spent the time to be with his best friends.

 

“Mimi hyung! Minnie hyung!” Ryeowook said happily as he enveloped them in a tight embrace. “I missed you, hyung.” He mumbled onto Zhou Mi's shoulder.

 

“Missed you too, Wookie.” Zhou Mi chirped happily. Sungmin gave a small pout. “I missed you too, hyung!” Ryeowook told Sungmin with as much as love as possible.

 

They went to a table to sit. Sungmin began to start a conversation by asking, “Ne, Wookie, have you seen Kim Jongwoon yet?”

 

“Ah, no. When I arrived here, the piano seat was empty. He probably left already.” Ryeowook replied as he munched on some cookies his hyungs gave him.

 

“Yah, Wookie-ah. You seriously haven't seen him yet? I saw him yesterday though. Since you overslept, it was raining hard and you came late, I think you didn't see him. On my first break, he went here and we chatted for a while. He told me that he was Kim Jongwoon.” Sungmin shared.

 

“Really? What did he look like?” Ryeowook asked, sorta interested. “He had black hair, it was kind of ruffled. You know that singer, Yesung? He kind of looked similar to him, only he looked more handsome.” Sungmin supplied.

 

“.. I'll tell Kyuhyun about that.” Ryeowook and Zhou Mi said simultaneously after giving thought about what the guitarist said. “Yaaa. Don't tell him. Anyways, for bringing the topic of boyfriend up, what's going on with you and Henry?”

 

“He's oblivious. Probably more oblivious than Ryeowook when Kibum practically showed his feelings to him little by little at college.” Zhou Mi said hopelessly. “Ya!” Ryeowook hissed with a pinkish tint coloring his cute cheeks.

 

“Aww. He'll realize soon enough. Speaking of which, Wookie, when was the last time you went on a date with Kibum?” Sungmin said somewhat teasingly.

 

Ryeowook blushed at his question. “Two months ago. Kibum's really busy.. So, yeah.” Ryeowook continued with his adorable blushing. “Wookie-ah! You should go on a date! Since, you're just in an open relationship, right? You can still have dates with other guys or girls, since you're biual~” His Zhou Mi hyung winked.

 

“W-what? No way! Even if my relationship with Kibum isn't serious, I don't want to date other people.” Ryeowook said shyly. “No. Me and Minnie are going to set you up on a date. Are we clear?” Zhou Mi said fiercely.

 

Ryeowook gulped, scared. “Yes, hyung.” “Good! What would you prefer, guys or girls?” Zhou Mi chirped happily, a complete 180 degree attitude change. “Uhh, girls?” Ryeowook answered hesitantly. “Guys it is then!” Zhou Mi said, completely ignoring his dongsaeng's opinion.

 

When Ryeowook looked at Sungmin with a face that said, please-don't-do-it face, complete with puppy dog eyes, Sungmin just shrugged and said, “Seems fun. You look lonely anyway.” Sungmin teased again. “Hyuuuung!” Ryeowook drawled out.

 

The trio continued to chat with each other for 10 minutes, then stopped when Ryeowook's break was finished. The other two continued to chat, then came across an interesting topic.

 

“Ne, Mimi, who should we set Wookie up with?”

 

 

A/N This might be not what you expected xD Thank you for commenting awesomeninja771 and mouj05! You don't know how happy I am that somebody read and even subbed this ;ww; therefore, this chapter is dedicated to you two! :) @mouj05 Thank you! I will try my best to update at least once a week :) @awesomeninja771 Thank you! OMG I feel so happy that you even sub-ed this ;ww;

I procrastinate a lot but I will never leave this story incomplete. Thank you for reading! :)