Misunderstandings

The Pages Of Spring

Soojung suddenly stopped, I looked in the direction she was staring at. 

A large billboard was hung on a building, from this angle my face could be seen perfectly.

Soojung's eyes widened. 

"I can't believe it. Is- is that?"

"Soojung-ah miahne-"

"Jaejoong-ssi, it's seriously so cheap!"

"Yah, do you know how much money we were offered-" 

"Huh? I was talking about the street food."

"Mwoh?"

"De. 5 sticks with dubbokki is 4500 won." Soojung tapped my back, signalling for me to lower my self to her short petite body.

 

 

She pulled out a purse and zipped her back pack up again.

"Would you like some? I've got around 10,000 won in my purse." She counted the notes in her purse meticulately, ignoring the loud shouts surrounding her. Soojung-ah's so cute. 

"Jaejoong-ssi.. you're doing it again."

"Ah! Ye, I'm fine. I'll eat at home Soojung-ah."

"Jeongmal?"

I nodded and smiled softly.

"Shilyehamnida.. Ommoni, can I have three of the sausages with rice cakes inside and two sticks of chicken with seaweed with dubbokki please?"

"De. Soojung-ah, is that you're boyfriend? He seems very handsome." 

I lowered my head, hoping that my disguise could convince the ahjumma.

"Aniyo. He is just.. a chingu of mine ommoni." She smiled warmly at me and turned back to the ahjumma.
 
"Ah, jeongmal? He seems rather familiar to me.."
 
"Kamsahamnida~ I'll eat it well." We bowed to her.
 
"I know you will." She smiled kindly to Soojung, almost giving a motherly-feel.
 
 

 

We were silent for a while now, but the silence wasn't awkward or uncomfortable. It's quite nice. I looked at her from the corner of my eye; she was embracing the styrophone bowl of dubbokki and the plastic bag containing the sticks of meat, Soojung looks happy.

"You and that ahjumma seem close." 

"Hm.. I stop by there regularly. Almost everyday, I think. Since it's the area with the most customers, I asked ommoni if she could lower the price a little for me." She inhaled deeply. We were going deeper in the streets of Hongdae.

"This reminds me of a quote I heard before.. 'I have many regrets, and I'm sure everyone does. The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense,'. I think I understand what Katharine Hephburn means now."

I chuckled at her strange mumbling. I've never met someone so.. odd.

 

"Jaejoong-ssi will you.. how will you get home? I've just realised that we've gone through a lot of intersections and crossings, miahneyo." She ended her words with a bow.

It's nice to know that you're worrying about me, Soojung-ah. 

"I'll find my way, don't worry Soojung-ah. You know, all of a sudden, you've started speaking in long sentences."

"Miahneyo." She bowed once more.

"Ani, it's actually nice to hear your voice." Soojung turned to look at me, when a loud voice shouted her name.

"HWANG SOOJU~~~NG!" 

Soojung laughs softly, so soft that it's almost unaudible. It seems that she is rather close with this girl.


"Yah! Chingu, have you been out with this man?"

"Bomi, this is Kim Jaejoong-ssi. Jaejoong-ssi meet Yoon Bomi. She's my roommate, Bomi goes to Seoul Arts though."

"Kim Jaejoong-ssi nice to meet you." Bomi is staring at me with concentration, suddenly she smiles.

"Thanks for taking her home from your date."

I spoke. "Yoon Bomi-ssi.. We aren't like that." I wish we were like that.

"Su~re. Well, I'm going to head upstairs. Soojung-ah, finish your date quickly so we can eat the food you bought."

This girl sure is stubborn.

"Yah.." Soojung called out for her roommate but Bomi had already gone inside the building.

"Um. Kamsahamnida. Goodbye." She bowed quickly and walked away. I smiled widely, staying rooted to the ground.

Suddenly she stopped and turned round, facing me.

"Backpack please." I let out a small puff of air. How amusing.

"Goodbye, please be careful walking home Jaejoong-ssi." 

"I will, bye Soojung-ah."

 


I shut the door.

"Hyung, you're home." Yoochun was sitting in front of the TV, not really looking at me. 

"Yeah. Have you eaten yet?"

"Ani. Yah, have you been seeing someone recently hyung? You've been smiling a lot. Is it that library girl?"

"Hm.. well, we aren't like that." 

"Yet." I thought to myself. But who knows what may happen in the future.