The Absolute Book

The Pages Of Spring

"Kim Jaejoong-ssi?.. Kim Jaejoong-ssi.." She lightly tapped my left shoulder, trying to grab my attention.

"De?"

"Oh, I was asking you what genre you like best. But you seemed to be lost in the clouds." Soojung raised an eyebrow as she continued to look for 'the absolute book'.

"I'll read whatever, Soojung...-ssi."

"Aniya. You can't read just any book! You, you have to read something that interests you and makes you so interested that you forget about everything except the story. If you find that book, you'll be happy. And I'll be happy for helping you."

I blinked at her.

That was the most she's ever said to me.

I grinned at her. "I like books with adventure, maybe a thriller? Umm.."

"Wait! Wait!" The librarian gave us a look. "Sorry," she lowered her voice and rummaged through her backpack.

"Okay, continue." Soojung took a pen out of a small pouch and looked up at me, she's so cute. 

"As I said before, something with adventure, a thriller... It would be great if the book had history in it too."

"Do you like history, Jaejoong-ssi?" Soojung lifted her head again. She rested her head in her left palm, supporting it, and wave the pen around with her right hand.

"Yeah, when I was in high school I loved the lessons." I chose to leave out the fact that it was because of the teacher, that I love history. 

"That's great. I like history too! But I want to be a.." She stopped and looked down again.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

"That seems like a way to say 'I'm curious', Jaejoong-ssi."

"Smart girl, you got me." I raised my hands as if I was being arrested and chuckled.

"Kim Jaejoong-ssi someday I might be able to tell you."

"I'll look forward to hearing the end of your sentence." The sides of her lips curled upwards.

"Kamsahminda."

"No problem Soojung-ah. You don't mind if I call you 'Soojung-ah' right?"

She shook her head, the curls bouncing around her face. I smiled again. 

As I fantasized about a now possible future a future that could happen after I stopped acting like such a stalker  she looked at her watch and bit her lip.

"25 minutes.."

"Is there a problem, Soojung-ah?"

"Ah de. I have to be home by 7 today. I've gotten a lot of projects and homework recently, and if I don't get started tonight I won't be able to finish them." 

I frowned.

'On March 21st, I found out her name after she dropped her student I.D. Hwang Soojung. A student at Hangwon, finishing her 3rd year of high school. I don't tend to like younger girls, but she seems mature for her age.' 

She's a minor. I shouldn't be trying to get her attention. I'm freakin 26 years old! This is wrong..

But all of those thoughts seemed to vanish as soon as I set my eyes on her. She's so beautiful, not plastic like the many of the female idols I'm unwillingly forced to be around. Soojung looks innocent. And pure. And simply perfect.

"Jaejoong-ssi could you.. please walk me home? It's pretty dark outside and the last book I read was about a teenage girl getting , so I'm rather afraid." 

I nodded a little too eagerly. Luckily she was busy packing books into her bag. She tried to lift her backpack up, but I could see he arms shaking from the weight.

"Here let me help you." I lifted it up, surprised with the weight. She's been carrying this all day? 

She chuckled softly. "Pretty heavy, huh?"

We began to walk to her home after saying goodbye to the librarian who seemed to be fond of Soojung, but that seems only normal to me. After all, a librarian with a girl who seems to live on water, food and books; it just naturally clicks.

Soojung suddenly stopped, I looked in the direction she was staring at.