Kim Ki Bum

Illusions and Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Kim Ki Bum “Baby... I'm sorry... Let's pretend that it never happened... please?” I shiver as I heard him plead. He was so close to me that I'm starting to get goose bumps.

“Sun Hee- seonsangnim!!!”

She turned around and faced us. Us, her noisy students. She pushed her eye glasses as she put down the book she was holding onto.

“Byun Su Jeong, why are you shouting?”

“Sun Hee-ssam, this guy...” I pushed him away as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders. “He’s getting on my nerves. Can I transfer seat? Because I don’t want to be near with him!”

“Why? He's your boyfriend right?”

“Ex. Ex boyfriend.” I corrected her. She nodded slowly in amusement.

“Okay... I understand, Su Jeong-ssi...” Her eyes roam around. “Where should I place you...? Ah... You can transfer on the third row.”

“Baby... don’t leave me...” He said as he held me on my arm. I nudge it away and glare at him. I stood up and walked on my new place. Finally, I'm away from that stupid bastard.

I look around, from my right then to my left. I felt somebody is watching over me. I turn around, I saw Kim Ki Bum looking at me. I smile uneasy at him and look away.
____________________________________________________________________________________

“So… It’s over between the two of you?” My lips form a half smile. That voice. I look on my right, it was Ki Bum. He was looking at a very far distance. I mimicked him.

“Yup. I dumped him, my stupid hick ex-boyfriend.”

“… and you regret it?”

“No... To be honest, it was a good feeling. I feel like I’ve taken out some weight over my shoulder. I'm happy with my choice.”

“I'm glad that Su Jeong is happy now.” Then he leaned closer to me that my heart started to pound uncontrollably. Our foreheads were pressing each others. I blink countless times. "See you later. ” He move backward and mess with my hair. Then he vanished from my sight.

I sigh wearily. I feel awful. Ki Bum didn’t change even a bit. But I do. I feel like I’ve changed a lot. Especially, when I started dating that jerk. But now, finally I'm free. I can bring back the same closeness we had before, me and Ki Bum, my childhood friend.
____________________________________________________________________________________

“Su Jeong...”

“Ya. Ki Bum... what are you doing here?” I asked curiously, because I'm doing reports for the monthly meetings we had inside this office.

“Nothing... I just saw you so I stop and drop by here...”

"Oh... That's so sweet. Thank you."

“Don’t push yourself too much. Okay? Does the president understand that?” I nodded with a smile. Then he tapped my shoulder, “I'll go first.”

“Okay take care.”

When I turn around, there was no Ki Bum. That was fast. Why didn’t he stay for a while? I'm not trying to oust him. Suddenly, I feel empty. I don’t have anyone except Ki Bum. After all, I'm done with what I am doing. I stood up and started to run outside. I saw him walking from afar. I yelled, “Ki Bum!” He stopped. I smiled. I jogged closer to him. By the time I got there, I was panting.

With narrowed eyebrows, he said, “Are you alright? Didn't I tell you not to push yourself? Why are you running?”

“Because I'm chasing you.”

“Chasing me?" he snickered. “Why?”
  I lowered my head. It’s been a while since the two of us ate together. I missed that feeling. “Co-coz… I want us, to eat together. Is it alright with you?”

He lifted my face with his index finger and thumb. My heart started to thump. The feeling was unusual, he never did this before.

“I thought you’d never ask.” I blushed. He wrapped his arms around my shoulder and he was dragging me. “So where do you want to eat?”

“I want to eat at your restaurant. I missed the ramen there.”
____________________________________________________________________________________

After we ate, we decided to take a walk first at the park where we used to play before.

“Do you remember the promise that we made here? Three years ago?” He asked. It made me thought hard.    After the break up incident, I decided to forget all memories from before. Living with memories will only make you suffer. It will only make you regret things you haven’t done from before. So better start living forward.

“What promised?” I smile innocently at him as I ask him that question. I tried to act ignorantly in front of him trying to test his patient. The truth is, that promise was very unambiguous to me.

“After high school, if both of us have passed the entrance exam at Konkuk University---“ I cut off his sentence and continued. “We will pursue our studies there... together.” I laugh lightly. He was smiling very wide.

“I’m surprised you still remember that.”

“I was just playing tricks over you.” I chuckled as I sit on the swing. He stood behind me and started pushing it nonchalantly.

“I knew it… You really like to see me suffer.”

“No, I’m not.” I smiled to the extent that my muscle felt sore.

“Then why did you start dating him?” His tone didn’t change. But I felt the question was out of line. I wonder why he asked such question like that.

“Do I have to answer that?”

He stopped pushing the swing and replied, “No…”

Then there was an awkward silence between the two of us. Neither spoke. I don’t know what is his intention when he said that. Or am I just playing dumb and numb?

“Su Jeong…” His tone was different. I knew him very well enough, for me to think that this conversation will lead to that topic. The topic that I’ve always try to avoid.

“Ki Bum?” I lift my face upward until our gazes met. “Can we go back? I feel cold?” He pursed his lips and nodded. I wrap my arms around me. We walk side by side until I felt our upper arms collided.

I exhale loudly and shiver. Slowly, I felt he wrap his jacket around me and he placed his arms around my shoulder.

I look at him. He was looking straight ahead. “Don’t worry… I’m doing this as a friend… nothing more.” I felt a pang on my chest. It was my entire mistake, never his.

Few months earlier, under the sunset, it was an unforgettable moment for us. At the back of my mind, the decision that I made before, was something that occasionally made me regret.
  ---

“Su Jeong… I have something to tell you.”

“What?” I spun around and look at him. I cannot clearly see his face, because of the sun.

“I like you.. Would you like to go out with me?” he bowed in front of me. My heart started to pound rapidly, I wanted to chase it. But…

I swallowed hard. I look away. I answered him casually. “Sorry, but… I love him.”

“Ah… I see.” He said in flat tone as he looked on the other side. When I tried to meet his gaze, his eyes were misted. Then he sniffed. “I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter