Jury Duty

Boyfriend in...Wonderland?

I was now sitting in a stand in the royal hall. Jiyeon had thought that it would be a fantastic idea to have me pose as her so I could sit in on today’s trial and by extension, overthrow the Queen. The jury had just come back in from a break and the last case was about to begin. I had rushed back into the hall and taken a seat as close to the Queen as possible, though I was still a far distance away.

“Ah, Jiyeon! So nice to see you today, I had the impression you weren’t attending today’s trial.” A loud voice said from my left and I turned to see a fat bald man smiling toothily at me. Well, at least I know the disguise works.

“Oh, well I wasn’t feeling too well earlier.” I laughed nervously and saw that the hall was now filled with people. I assumed they were also on the jury or just observing.

“Good thing you’re feeling better. The last case is always the most exciting and I hear this one could end in a sentence!” The man sounded giddy but in a sinister way. And what was this sentence? I was starting to feel uneasy but a hand on my shoulder calmed me. Jiyeon had also disguised herself and was sitting behind me, giving me support.

 

Just then the two large doors at the end of the hall opened and a man walked in. Leaning forward slightly the man seemed familiar; it was Hyunseong! Jiyeon’s hand tightened on my shoulder and I turned to see her face change from serious to concerned. ‘Why does she look like that? Is it because of Hyunseong? Well they do live together so they must be close.’ I shut out those thoughts and focused on the doors again. Behind Hyunseong walked a woman, probably in her mid twenties, who was dressed extravagantly. So this must be the Red Queen. She walked gracefully and her blood red dress flowed behind her like a river, but her face was the exact opposite. While she was quite beautiful, her expression was that of repulsion. I could tell she was stuck up and rude, no wonder everyone hates her. But as I glared at her my eyes caught sight of another man walking behind her. He had his head hung low and his hands were shoved in his pockets, but I could tell from the black top hat he wore that it was Donghyun. But why was he here?

 

“Next case, entering unlawfully and attempted robbery!” Hyunseong was standing on a platform at the front of the hall where the Queen sat in an ornate throne. Donghyun sat in a smaller throne to her right. ‘Wait, so is Donghyun…royal too?!’ Before I could think of anymore questions, the sound of footsteps and clinking metal echoed off the walls. Two people were being ushered into the hall and stood in front of the platform. It was Youngmin and Kwangmin; they had been caught and now were facing a jury.

“You stand accused of entering and attempted robbery, do you plead guilty?” Hyunseong asked confidently but his face was contorted with sadness. Maybe he was friends with the twins, which wouldn’t surprise me because it seemed like everyone knew each other here.

“No.” The twins announced sounding very self assured. The Queen was obviously ticked off and Donghyun’s brow was furrowed in what appeared to be frustration, but his gaze was directed to the Queen. What exactly was his connection with her?

“Chop their heads off.” The Queen had spoken rather irately. ‘She’s going to kill them?!’ She sneered at the twins and two guards pulled them roughly out of the hall. The jury muttered approvingly and soon everyone stood while the Queen steeped down from the platform. No, Youngmin and Kwangmin can’t die! I won’t let that happen.

“You can’t!” I accidentally screamed out from the stands and everyone, including the Queen turned to look in my direction. Jiyeon’s hand gripped my shoulder like a vice.

“Jiyeon, I don’t expect such behaviour from you. Sit down and shut up!” The Queen glowered at me. Like hell she was going to speak to me like that!

“No.” I don’t know what came over me but I was soon running down the stairs of the stands and tried to run to the twins but a tall guard caught me before I could.

“Chop off her head too.” The Queen waved her hand quickly and strutted out of the hall. The guard picked me up and marched out of the hall with the other two guards who held the twin’s chains. I shot them a scared look but they stared back at me with light eyes. Weren’t they afraid, they could be killed! This wasn’t going as planned.

 

 

I had been thrown in a cold stone cell somewhere under the castle. It was dark and the only light came from a small oil lamp hanging from the wall on the other side of the metal bars. Youngmin and Kwangmin had been taken somewhere else and I was about to die from worry. I had tried beating the bars with my fists and yelling for help from anyone but no one came. I was alone. I began to cry and my sobs echoed off the stone walls. ‘I want to go home. I want to see Mother and Father and Kyumi.’  I know I said I wanted some excitement in my life but this not what I wanted. I’m going to be killed soon; I’ve not even lived a full life! For hours I sobbed and soon fell asleep on the hard floor, awaiting my demise.

 

“Taekyung! Wake up already!” A voice broke through my troubled sleep and I cracked an eye open. It was darker than before and it was hard to see where the voice came from.

“Who’s there?” I asked groggily, my voice thick from all the crying.

“It’s me, Minwoo. Come on, we have to get you out of here.” Minwoo’s face came into view but he didn’t have his trademark smile now. Instead he looked worried and sweat shone on his face. ‘What has he been doing?’  Wait, Minwoo? He came to get me! I’m saved! My emotions spilled over again and I started crying a rivern against Minwoo’s chest.

“Come on. Let’s get you out of here.” Minwoo helped me up to my feet and wiped the tears from my face. A crash sounded in the cell but it came from further away. Quick footsteps became louder and I hid behind Minwoo thinking that it was a guard coming to take me to my death. But instead a familiar man stood panting outside the metal bars. It was Donghyun.

“Taekyung, I’m going to get you out of there so-” Donghyun cut off when he saw Minwoo standing protectively in front of me. At first he looked confused but then he looked…jealous?

“Oh, Minwoo. I didn’t know you were already here.” Donghyun said nonchalantly while leaning against the bars.

“Well, I thought I’d be the hero and break Taekyung out,” Donghyun made an angry ‘tch’ sound before glaring at the wall. “What about you? Why are you here?” Minwoo added with a cheeky tone. He was stirring up Donghyun.
“Nothing. Enough chatting, it’s almost time. We need to get Taekyung out of here.” Minwoo nodded and pulled me into a tight hug.

“Hold on.” He winked at me before doing that vanishing thing. But he took me along with him. It felt like a sharp zap, like a shock you get when rubbing your feet on carpet then poking someone. It only lasted a second before I opened my eyes to see a large room that I recognised as the Queen’s bedroom.

 

“Alright, time to get the twins.” Minwoo said while pacing to the large window and opening the glass door to a small balcony. I followed and looked over the railing but immediately wished I didn’t. In the garden below a platform was set up and a wooden block sat in the centre. A masked man sat on the edge of the platform polishing a large axe. They’re really going to chop their heads off.

“Minwoo, we have to save the twins!” I sounded frantic and I couldn’t help but wonder about Jiyeon. Where was she? Just then Donghyun and Hyunseong burst into the room. Donghyun loked over the railing curiously and he looked furious. Hyunseong eyed me warily until I realised how awkward it must have been for him. I gave him a small smile but didn’t say anything. There’d be time for proper introductions later. Hopefully. Donghyun must have heard me before as he turned to me and grasped my hands in his.

“Don’t worry. We’ve got a plan.” He winked knowingly and I was left to wonder.

“What are you going to do?” I asked quickly, taking notice of the people filing into the garden. We were running out of time.

“You know Jiyeon, right? Well, what if there was yet another person who looked exactly like you?” Minwoo said mysteriously. Oh god no, he couldn’t be thinking what I’m thinking. Could he?


 Hello hello! So what's the big plan? The next chapter will be the last so look forward to it!