The Red Palace

Boyfriend in...Wonderland?

The hole was just big enough for me to crawl through and soon I was standing on the other side, facing a tall green hedge. Youngmin had crawled in behind me and we stood in a row trying to figure out our next move.

“So, where to next?” Kwangmin asked in a cheery tone. Considering everything I had heard about the Red Queen she didn’t sound like a particularly nice person; which will only make things much more difficult.

“We need to find a way into the palace. Then we have to figure out where the mushroom could be.” I said while thinking of possible escape routes I case we get caught.

“Shall we head off then?” Youngmin asked before grabbing my hand and leading us around the tall hedge.

 

We walked along the hedge for a few metres before it ended and we caught sight of a magnificent garden. The grass was a deep green and flower beds were placed artfully along the edges of the garden. A fountain sat in the centre of the garden but something about it was rather odd. We checked to see if anyone was around before tip toeing into the garden. I stepped over to the fountain and peered into it. Most fountains have water in them but this fountain’s water was a suspicious red; it was blood. I stumbled back and almost tripped on the bricks surrounding the flower beds; and good thing I didn’t fall into one because the same vicious red flowers that covered the hills outside were planted here as well.

 

“Is this some horror house?!” I asked in shock as I scuttled over to the twins who were watching something through the hedge.

“You could say that.” They answered at the same time. ‘I don’t know if I want to go through with this.’ I thought scared at what else could be lurking inside the palace. I looked over the twin’s shoulders and saw two guards standing erect at a large black door. So we have to get past them.

“Our first hurdle. Now what?” Youngmin asked while we thought. An idea came into my head and we did a group huddle. This had to work.

 

“State your names and business.” One of the large guards said in a booming voice.

“Jo Youngmin.”

“Jo Kwangmin.”
“Here to assist Shim Hyunseong in today’s jury.” They said at the same time while holding out the jury paper I had taken from Hyunseong’s house. I was safely tucked away in Youngmin’s blazer pocket. How you ask? Well, it seems that the boys had some of that liquid that makes you shrink and the cake that makes you grow. The plan was that the twins would pose as assistants but when we got inside we would split up and look for the mushroom; we’d meet back in the garden in two hours.

“You may enter.” The guard handed back the paper after carefully inspecting it. The twins nodded their heads at the guards and walked through the massive black gates. I couldn’t see anything but I heard the sound of people talking and some thing like metal clicking.

“We’ll be inside in a minute.” I heard Youngmin say confidently. It seems like these two aren’t scared of anything.

 

I was starting to feel sick, from the growing fear and the rocking I had to sit through in Youngmin’s pocket. The noise outside had quietened and now the only sounds were the twin’s footsteps and Youngmin’s steady heartbeat. Youngmin had reached his hand into his pocket and gently lifted me out with his thumb and forefinger. I took a look at my surroundings but immediately closed my eyes as the whole place was far too intimidating considering my now miniature stature. My feet touched something and I took my hands away from my eyes to see myself standing next to a giant vase of massive red roses; but of course it was only huge because I was small.

“Now, where to start looking?” Kwangmin asked while looking blankly around the long hallway.

“Well, we need to split up first and then find rooms that could look important.” I yelled so they could hear me.

“Okay, but who’s going alone?” Youngmin asked curiously. Well, that was obvious.

“I’ll go alone. You two need to go together to avoid suspicion.” Their faces turned concerned and I could tell it would take some convincing before they’d let me go alone.

“Guys, I’ll be fine. And we promised to meet at the garden in two hours didn’t we?” I said brightly. I felt bad about forcing them to even enter the palace so it was hard to ask them to look for something only I needed. They sighed and nodded sadly. Kwangmin reached into his pocket and extended a finger towards me. On the tip of it was a small piece of the growing cake. I took it and ate the entire piece in one go.

 

My limbs stretched and everything became smaller. Soon I had hoped off the small table and was standing at normal size next to the twins. It was odd how the clothes I was wearing didn’t stay normal size but shrunk and grew with me; maybe the clothes made here were magic?

“Okay, I’ll go down the right of the hallway and you two go to the left. We’ll meet in the garden in two hours.” I waved over my shoulder as I jogged down the hallway. It was lavishly decorated in deep reds and blacks with large silver frames that adorned the walls. Now to find some rooms!

 

I had been walking down twisting hallways for a few minutes but there had been no doors, only large portraits. I was beginning to lose hope until I saw a single door at the end of the hallway that turned to the right. It was black with intricate silver designs and a large silver doorknob. I took a deep breath and turned the knob. The room was massive and, if not, more expensively decorated than the hallways. Deep cherry wood furniture was placed around the room and thick red rugs were spread on the floor. I stepped further into the room and stared at awe at the large mirror attached to the wall. It’s frame was thick silver with rubies encrusted in a tricky pattern. My distraction caused me to not notice the movement behind me. A hand touched my shoulder and I spun around with a yelp.

 

“Taekyung?!”

“Jiyeon?!” In front of me stood my look alike; the one who I assumed was Jiyeon. Now that she was awake I could clearly see that she did look almost exactly like me, except her hair was slightly longer than mine and dead straight while mine was curly at the ends. We stared at each other for a few minutes before Jiyeon gave me a bear hug.

“I can’t believe you’re finally here! I’ve waited for so long!” She sounded so happy but I had no idea why, and what was this she said about waiting for me?

“Um, you’re Jiyeon right?” She nodded enthusiastically and held both my hands tightly.

“I hope you don’t mind me asking but, who are you exactly? And why do you look like me?” Finally I could ask the question I had been yearning to ask since I first walked into Hyunseong’s house.

“Oh well, I am an alternate version of you.” Alternate what? “It means I’m like a different person but still the same as you.”

“Right. So, why are you here?” I still had no idea what was going on but I could figure that out later.

“I…work here. I tell the Queen’s future.” She dropped her eyes to the floor. She could tell the future? Well, it’s not the weirdest thing I had come across in my time here.

“I saw a vision of you. You came to the palace and had the Queen overthrown.” Jiyeon sounded hopeful but I couldn’t believe her, I mean me, overthrowing a Queen?

“Um, are you sure? Because I’m only here to find a way back home.” I said quietly. Jiyeon seemed sad about something but I couldn’t tell what it was.

“I’m positive. My visions never fail to come true. You have to overthrow her, she’s basically the death of all of us here.” So my assumptions were right; the Queen is not a nice person. But how in the world would I overthrow her?

“The only way you can get the mushroom is to get rid of the Queen, and then you can get home.” Jiyeon stated as if she had read my mind. It was the most difficult decision I had ever had to make and I didn’t have much time. The clock on the wall said it was ten to three and we were meeting back at four.

“Okay, I’ll try. But I need your help.” I said confidently. Things weren’t boring anymore. Jiyeon nodded and led me out of the door and down the twisting hallways. God only knows what I had in store for me.


Hey! Only about two chapters left so keep reading! Jeez, don't you guys like me anymore? No one comments :(